Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Cordeiro
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This was a 2-player, face to face game (no Isotropic log!) – me vs. the wife. We used a random setup drawing from the base game, Intrigue, Seaside, and the promo cards.

2 cost cards
Courtyard

3 cost cards
Ambassador

4 cost cards
Sea Hag
Smithy
Envoy
Remodel
Pirate Ship
Smugglers

5 cost cards
Upgrade
Minion

Gameplay
I opened with Sea Hag and Ambassador. My strategy was to buy 2 Sea Hags, use the Ambassador to pass off the curses, and later remodel the Sea Hags and Ambassador into useful stuff. I actually used the Ambassador to pass off an Estate early in the game as well. I picked up a few Remodels and a Courtyard, and by the end of the game, I had remodeled one of the Sea Hags, the Courtyard, a Remodel, a Curse, and 2 Golds.

The wife opened with Sea Hag and Silver. This was the only Sea Hag she bought. Her strategy was to use a couple of Pirate Ships to deplete my deck of treasure while building her own income source. She also bought many Upgrades and Remodels to trash the Curses and upgrade the Sea Hag and the Remodels and Upgrades themselves.

Final Score
Me – 58 (6 Provinces, 6 Duchies, 4 Estates)
The Wife – 27 (2 Provinces, 2 Duchies, 10 Estates, 1 Curse)

This game shouldn’t have been a blowout. The one big mistake the wife made was remodeling Curses into Estates, which really bogged down her deck. Towards the end of the game, I was remodeling everything into Duchies and Provinces, and she couldn’t keep up.

My Thoughts
The Curses really defined the tone and tempo of the game. We both used Sea Hags to curse each other. Then, I used Ambassador to pass several Curses to the wife. Meanwhile, she used Remodels and Upgrades to trash her Curses (and mine). Many of our actions and buys were directly related to the Curses.

I really like the Courtyard as a 2 cost card. It works great with those hands that are a complete bust or have too much treasure. I also think the Ambassador really shines when Curses are in play. I like the Sea Hag in games like this where there’s a way to get rid of them. Otherwise, they’re more useless than an Estate once those Curses run out. I think the Pirate Ship is quite useful in a 4-player game, but like the Thief, is less powerful in a 2-player game.

There were several cards available that I normally go for – Smithy, Envoy, and Minion - that just didn’t seem to fit into my strategy this time. For me, this is one of the best aspects of Dominion – each game requires its own strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Githens
United States
Piedmont
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Estates don't slow her down anymore than curses, and an estate are +2 pts net over a curse. By remodeling she could in theory later upgrade the estate into something like silver.

In this setup I probably would have gone after Minions, Upgrades (to trash the curses you're dealing) and Cash personally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cordeiro
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Helios180 wrote:
The Estates don't slow her down anymore than curses, and an estate are +2 pts net over a curse. By remodeling she could in theory later upgrade the estate into something like silver.

True, but remodeling Curses into Estates creates a much slower deck than remodeling Curses into nothing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Rudd
England
Bideford
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
cordeiro wrote:
Helios180 wrote:

True, but remodeling Curses into Estates creates a much slower deck than remodeling Curses into nothing.

An excellent point, with just two minor flaws: it's illegal to Remodel Curses into nothing, and it's illegal to Remodel Curses into nothing. I know that, technically speaking, this is only one flaw, but I thought it was such a big one that it was worth mentioning twice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Neuhaus
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JackRudd wrote:

An excellent point, with just two minor flaws: it's illegal to Remodel Curses into nothing, and it's illegal to Remodel Curses into nothing. I know that, technically speaking, this is only one flaw, but I thought it was such a big one that it was worth mentioning twice.

If you are going to say "technically", you should be right. You have you remodel the card into something if you can. It's possible, though super unlikely, that all coppers, estates, and curses are gone (and there are no other $2 cards in the supply, and no bridges have been played, and ...) and the game is still going on. In that case, you can remodel a curse into nothing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Rudd
England
Bideford
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
rrenaud wrote:
JackRudd wrote:

If you are going to say "technically", you should be right. You have you remodel the card into something if you can. It's possible, though super unlikely, that all coppers, estates, and curses are gone (and there are no other $2 cards in the supply, and no bridges have been played, and ...) and the game is still going on. In that case, you can remodel a curse into nothing.

You are indeed right. (Nevertheless, the point still stands in relation to the OP's wife's play: you may not remodel a Curse into nothing if the possibility exists to remodel it into an Estate.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cordeiro
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JackRudd wrote:
cordeiro wrote:
Helios180 wrote:

Wow, thanks for the heads up. For some reason, I was reading this card as "you may gain a card" but that is indeed wrong now that I look at it again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.