Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Bates
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Hampshire
flag msg tools
Hi all,

I'm interested to know the mechanism for card use?

It doesn't state in the turn order WHEN cards should be played, obviously some remain in play once selected, but alot of the cards simply state 'on one of your turns'

I assume a research card can't be played as soon as it is taken?, because that would be at the end of your turn (instead of depoying military)

Also, more specifically...

Defense satellites, does this count for your monster too? (unless you disappear?)

X-Fighters, How many can deployed on a particular turn? a friend of mine said he thought he could deploy 2 X-fighters on one turn, instead of 2 normal units.

Whip tentacles, what is a smash?

Son of a monster, this states 'Discard this card at any time during a battle you are in' does that mean you get to play it right after someone has made their first attack against you? (regardless of whether they have 2 more attacks to go), and 'to get 2 extra attacks' does that mean that player can unleash a full 5 attacks (3 normal plus the 2 extra), before the challenger even gets to make his second attack in the first round?

Thanks for any help!

Also a mini review from me, although I don't have a great deal of boardgame experience, I think this is a great game, it's fun and deeper strategies can be worked out, the turns are very quick (when compared to something like risk), I think it appeals to a wide audience, and apart from the £40 price tag I'm very glad I bought it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam B
United Kingdom
cheshire
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Re:Cards questions
Phunquay (#480107),
A smash is when you roll a Natural Six on an attack roll, it does an extra point of damage I think-check out the demo on the Avalon hill website.
£40 notes-your having a laugh, you can get Doom or memior '44 cheaper, any Idea why the price tag is so high?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Sorenson
United States
Springfield
VT: VERMONT
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Phunquay (#480107),
Quote:
I assume a research card can't be played as soon as it is taken?, because that would be at the end of your turn (instead of depoying military)

Yes... this is correct.

Quote:
Defense satellites, does this count for your monster too? (unless you disappear?)

That seems to be the case!

Quote:
X-Fighters, How many can deployed on a particular turn? a friend of mine said he thought he could deploy 2 X-fighters on one turn, instead of 2 normal units.

Your pal is right, you can substitute an X-fighter for a normal deploy (but not to replace a National Guard unit)

Quote:

Whip tentacles, what is a smash?

A natural '6' on the die... indicating an extra point of damage.

Quote:
Son of a monster, this states 'Discard this card at any time during a battle you are in' does that mean you get to play it right after someone has made their first attack against you? (regardless of whether they have 2 more attacks to go), and 'to get 2 extra attacks' does that mean that player can unleash a full 5 attacks (3 normal plus the 2 extra), before the challenger even gets to make his second attack in the first round?

This one is worded vaguely but I believe that the intent is for the card to be used when it is your monster's turn in the combat sequence rather than mucking things up by interrupting with the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bates
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Hampshire
flag msg tools
kakupacal (#480863),

Thanks neil and adam, thats helps loads! yes I agree with you about the son of a monster card.

I think the £40 tag represents the general quality of the game, and all the little goodies you get, the monster pieces are of very good quality rubbery plastic, and paint has been applied to them to enhance their appearance, the cardboard pieces are good and thick, and printed both sides, (in risk 2210, the energy tokens are thinner cardboard and only printed on one side for example)

you get a nice glossy fun looking instruction booklet, and whereas a friend of mines dice from his recently bought Star wars risk game, are printed with some of the paint coming off, these dice are pristine in condition.

I think it's a great game when you have a mixture of people, it's not like a wargame, or an empire building game, it's just fun with a largely innocent approachable theme, and as I said the turns are incredibly quick (at the start anyway)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.