Neil Carr
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been looking, but can't seem to find any kind of specific format for citing boardgames in MLA format.

Suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cristelli
United States
Milton
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, if you think about it, you would be citing the rules, not the game, right? Unless you're citing a session report or something of the sort. I would suggest using Citation Machine and using the "Encyclopedia or other reference work." It's a reference manual, after all.

http://citationmachine.net/index2.php?reqstyleid=1&mode=form...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JD
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about:

Designer (date) Title of Game. City: Publisher.

Konieczka, C. and T. Uren (2010). Battlestar Galactica: Exodus Expansion. Roseville, MN: Fantasy Flight Games.

(Alternatively, you could move the date to the end; it depends on what style you prefer. If you cite the rules, just add a page number at the end and alter the title: " Battlestar Galactica: Exodus Expansion: Rulebook ").
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Carr
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it depends, some information might be coming from components separate from the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JD
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, if it's something you're citing while writing a text you could quote, for exmaple, the text on a card and then put the full citation for the game in the citation at the end/footnote. People would then be able to find the game and, knowing which card you were referring to, verify it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cristelli
United States
Milton
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Emperor JD wrote:
Well, if it's something you're citing while writing a text you could quote, for exmaple, the text on a card and then put the full citation for the game in the citation at the end/footnote. People would then be able to find the game and, knowing which card you were referring to, verify it.

I agree. I like this idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Javoroski
United States
Keota
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I found online someone's (pretty good) APA citation suggestions for board games:

* Darrow, C. D. (2006). Monopoly: the property trading board game. Eastwood, N.S.W. : Hasbro / Parker.
* Drennan, D. (1986). Zamitar: a battle for survival in space, employing strategy and skill [Board game]. Australia: Author.

I'd think the general principles apply to MLA as well. The reason for citing is so that readers can go find the same info themselves. So no matter the style guide you're using, there is basic information that's needed. You'll need manufacturer, title, copyright date, edition (important in many cases), publishing location, maybe game designer, and the name of the document (if any) that the reference comes from. Then just throw that into the format of something similar that MLA has already...'pamphlet', for example.

For a citation from just the game itself (as in "Settlers includes resource cards of brick, wood, etc..."):
Designer Last Name, Designer First Name. Title of Game: Subtitle. Edition. Publication Location: Publisher, Year. Print (the word 'Print').

For a citation from a particular book(let) within the game (like "Rules of Play" or "Resource List", etc.: "The Settlers of Catan includes a specific rule, "All players shall..."):
Designer Last Name, Designer First Name. "Name of Specific Book." Title of Game: Subtitle. Edition. Publication Location: Publisher, Year. Print (the word 'Print').
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian
Denmark
KĂžbenhavn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pff... everyone knows Chicago is a better format anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.