Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
This looks tasty...
badge
Yuck!
mbmbmbmbmb
8.8 Earthquake and Tsunami.

Miyagi Prefecture & Sendai seems to be washed away completely.

The Pacific Ring of Fire is acting up.

6-10 meter waves predicted
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just awful. Folks driving in their cars, seemingly totally unaware of the water coming at them. soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
I truly fear for the city of Sendai. Sendai is a beautiful city of 1 million people on the coast. It is 150k from the epicenter. A tsunami moves at around 800 kph. Figure the people there had less than 10 minutes to get to higher ground. Likely less as they would have had to wait until the shaking stopped to actually be able to start moving.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Chen
United States
Green Bay
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
This looks tasty...
badge
Yuck!
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
Just awful. Folks driving in their cars, seemingly totally unaware of the water coming at them. soblue

That was REALLY disturbing, I wanted to yell for them to drive faster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Prayers of condolences with well wished hopes for their personal regards during this natural disaster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Tokyo is rumbling through aftershocks every 10 to 15 minutes now (about three hours after the big shaker). There is smoke overhead from what I think is the refinery fire in Chiba.

It was a fascinating experience to see how folks in the street reacted when an aftershock rolled through. Everyone seems to be on pins and needles wondering if another big shake is coming. Cellphones are kaput. Subways and trains are out and folks are walking home or catching buses. I heard a report that Narita airport is closed.

That tsumani to the north is looking quite bad though based on what the TV is showing. My heart goes out for the folks up there. Very very upsetting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Prayers and best wishes to everyone in the affected areas, friend and stranger alike.

I hope our Asian-based BGG members can find the time to sound off and let us know that they're safe. But take care of family and safety first.

EDIT: 1:35 a.m., PT--Tsunami warnings have been issued for the North Pacific coast as far down as Santa Barbara, in Central California. I hope to hear from friends I have in Hawaii, where the tsunami is scheduled to hit within 90 minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I grew up in California and have had an interest in earthquakes since I was a kid (I'm sure if I grew up in Florida it would have been hurricanes). I have the live USGS website up and the aftershocks are like nothing I've ever seen. So far there have been 13 aftershocks of 6.0 or greater including a 7.1 which in and of itself would have been a pretty big earthquake.

Looking back there were a huge number of quakes leading up to the main event. It all started with a 7.2 along the northern fault zone two days ago followed by a swarm of almost 20 aftershocks of 4.5 or greater. You can see the list here and see just how active the zone became after the 7.2 leading up to the 8.9.

You look at the list with the locations and what you see is the 7.2 happening with no precursors in the northern end of the fault zone followed by a series of aftershocks as per normal. It looks like that event put more stress on fault zone to the south which let go massively tonight.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/Maps/regi...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Related thread here: Tsunami in Japan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:

Video link?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mb
mrbeankc wrote:
I grew up in California and have had an interest in earthquakes since I was a kid (I'm sure if I grew up in Florida it would have been hurricanes). I have the live USGS website up and the aftershocks are like nothing I've ever seen. So far there have been 13 aftershocks of 6.0 or greater including a 7.1 which in and of itself would have been a pretty big earthquake.

Looking back there were a huge number of quakes leading up to the main event. It all started with a 7.2 along the northern fault zone two days ago followed by a swarm of almost 20 aftershocks of 4.5 or greater. You can see the list here and see just how active the zone became after the 7.2 leading up to the 8.9.

You look at the list with the locations and what you see is the 7.2 happening with no precursors in the northern end of the fault zone followed by a series of aftershocks as per normal. It looks like that event put more stress on fault zone to the south which let go massively tonight.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/Maps/regi...

The list shows a bunch of small ones on 3/9, leading up to the big one today. Didn't anyone feel like warning the area that "the big one" might be right around the corner?

I know it's tough to predict big earthquakes, but 36 registered earthquakes occurred before the big 8.9 one. Wouldn't someone think there is a pattern there?? Or at least think something big is going on??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
You know it really fucking sucks when you get a CNN update on your phone that reads 200 to 300 bodies found in Sendai and that is where you wife's whole family lives and you can't get through on the phone...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KSensei wrote:
You know it really fucking sucks when you get a CNN update on your phone that reads 200 to 300 bodies found in Sendai and that is where you wife's whole family lives and you can't get through on the phone...

I don't know if this will help you or not.

http://japan.person-finder.appspot.com/?lang=en

soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can do more than think and pray:

http://newsroom.redcross.org/2011/03/11/disaster-alert-earth...

http://www.globalgiving.org/projects/japan-earthquake-tsunam...

You can also text REDCROSS to 90999 to donate $10 to the international relief fund.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
McCordsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
KSensei wrote:

That's rough. I'm praying for you and your loved ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
June King
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Bring me her heart in this box.
mbmbmbmbmb
KSensei wrote:

I'm so sorry to hear this. I'll keep my fingers crossed that everyone is just fine and you'll hear from them soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Naoto Ukai
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
It was the biggest quake in this 100 years in this country, and aftershocks and tsunami are still ongoing. http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/12/world/asia/12japan.html?hp

By the way Skype, Twitter, UStream and other sites on the net are immensely helpful in this emergency. Cell phone and SMS were down but I could talk with my family on Twitter. My brother even tweeted "quake now" in real-time before I realized the shaking. I strongly recommend to prepare and use those tools in everyday life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Naoto Ukai
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
KSensei wrote:

There is a message service can be used from internet. https://www.web171.jp/top.php It uses phone number as a key to store and view message, so if your wife's family doesn't know the service beforehand it might be useless...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Sol
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
All engines full to awesome land!
badge
*tap* *tap* Is this thing on?
mbmbmbmbmb
KSensei wrote:

Damn =( . I have a friend coming to my house tomorrow because he is traveling back to Japan on Monday for his graduation party at Toudai. He has a lot of friends in there which he couldn't contact yet =(

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
I don't have my wife's family's numbers on my phone. I'll have to see if I can get this to her. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
ImaginaryRoot wrote:
The list shows a bunch of small ones on 3/9, leading up to the big one today. Didn't anyone feel like warning the area that "the big one" might be right around the corner?

I know it's tough to predict big earthquakes, but 36 registered earthquakes occurred before the big 8.9 one. Wouldn't someone think there is a pattern there?? Or at least think something big is going on??

The problem is that the pattern is more typical with the big shock left out of the sequence. "Fore-shock" is an entirely historical designation: when the big shock hits, previous shocks are re-designated as fore-shocks. Whatever the biggest shock you've seen so far, the far more common case is that you get smaller after-shocks after it. When you actually get something bigger, then the most probable case is that quakes decrease after that. In theory--heaven forbid--the 8.9 could be a fore-shock of a 9.5.

I captured some USGS data. Read this from the bottom up. There's just no way to know that the 7.2 wasn't the major quake. Everything looks like after-shocks of the 7.2.

8.9 2011/03/11 05:46:23 NEAR THE EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN
4.8 2011/03/11 04:28:20 KURIL ISLANDS
4.9 2011/03/10 22:44:25 OFF THE EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN
4.7 2011/03/10 21:49:46 OFF THE EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN
5.2 2011/03/10 16:54:45 OFF THE EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN
5.1 2011/03/10 11:21:08 OFF THE EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN
5.2 2011/03/10 09:02:21 OFF THE EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN
4.8 2011/03/10 08:59:19 OFF THE EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN
5.7 2011/03/10 08:08:20 OFF THE EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN
4.8 2011/03/10 07:33:04 NEAR THE EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN
4.6 2011/03/10 04:14:00 OFF THE EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN
5.0 2011/03/10 01:20:23 OFF THE EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN
4.8 2011/03/09 23:57:41 OFF THE EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN
5.4 2011/03/09 23:37:00 OFF THE EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN
6.1 2011/03/09 21:22:18 NEAR THE EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN
4.9 2011/03/09 21:00:57 NEAR THE EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN
6.0 2011/03/09 18:44:35 OFF THE EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN
6.1 2011/03/09 18:16:14 NEAR THE EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN
4.8 2011/03/09 14:24:05 OFF THE EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN
4.7 2011/03/09 12:03:17 OFF THE EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN
5.1 2011/03/09 11:27:51 OFF THE EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN
4.7 2011/03/09 10:13:39 OFF THE EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN
4.8 2011/03/09 08:55:38 OFF THE EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN
5.3 2011/03/09 08:02:36 OFF THE EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN
5.1 2011/03/09 07:56:27 NEAR THE EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN
5.0 2011/03/09 07:13:48 OFF THE EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN
5.1 2011/03/09 06:25:12 OFF THE EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN
4.9 2011/03/09 06:12:13 OFF THE EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN
4.7 2011/03/09 05:27:06 OFF THE EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN
5.3 2011/03/09 04:45:54 NEAR THE EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN
5.7 2011/03/09 04:37:03 NEAR THE EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN
5.2 2011/03/09 04:32:10 OFF THE EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN
4.8 2011/03/09 04:15:39 NEAR THE EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN
5.2 2011/03/09 04:05:53 NEAR THE EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN
5.0 2011/03/09 03:19:00 NEAR THE EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN
5.2 2011/03/09 03:08:35 OFF THE EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN
5.6 2011/03/09 02:57:16 NEAR THE EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN
7.2 2011/03/09 02:45:20 NEAR THE EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN
4.4 2011/03/08 19:49:29 KURIL ISLANDS
4.3 2011/03/08 15:18:29 KURIL ISLANDS
5.0 2011/03/07 10:13:07 RYUKYU ISLANDS, JAPAN
4.9 2011/03/07 09:49:34 RYUKYU ISLANDS, JAPAN
4.7 2011/03/06 11:26:25 BONIN ISLANDS, JAPAN REGION
4.7 2011/03/06 11:06:27 BONIN ISLANDS, JAPAN REGION
5.0 2011/03/06 10:52:52 BONIN ISLANDS, JAPAN REGION
4.9 2011/03/06 07:13:24 BONIN ISLANDS, JAPAN REGION
4.7 2011/03/06 00:55:59 BONIN ISLANDS, JAPAN REGION
4.4 2011/03/04 17:23:35 KURIL ISLANDS
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
Wife finally got through. Everyone accounted for and ok. Thanks all!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ImaginaryRoot wrote:

Earthquakes are like weather. How the weather is in Kansas City is very different than in Paris. Earthquakes zones are very much the same in that how a fault zone in one place reacts is different than how another reacts. Also keep in mind that a mega thrust fault which this earthquake was a product of go centuries between these kind of catastrophic quakes.

Thus the 7.2 looked like the main event followed by a normal series of aftershocks. This kind of quake happens quite often in these mega thrust faults that ring the Pacific. You can theorize in advance that the quakes 2 days prior could have triggered another quake to follow shortly there after but at the same time there have been dozens of these type of quakes along the western Pacific on these kind of faults over the last 10 years. There was simply no way of knowing that this time it would result in something of this magnitude. The holy grail of seismology is to predict earthquakes but the general belief is that we are many decades from being able to start actually predicting quakes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
KSensei wrote:
Wife finally got through. Everyone accounted for and ok. Thanks all!!

I'm so glad to hear it, I've been thinking about you all day!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I PM'd Lajos, and he said that they're all fine. KSensei, I'm very relieved to hear your family is okay. I actually came in here just to see.
The wreckage is scary to watch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.