Norway
Sandnes
flag msg tools
Geeks!
badge
Hello!
mbmbmbmbmb
”Ships ahead sir!”
Admiral von Donner took his eyes from the map and looked up on the excited marine. The Marine continued “We believe they are Draugners ships!”

Could it be? Could he be the one who finally caught Draugner?
The north coast of the Empire has been plagued by pirates for generations, but lately they have been more coordinated and organized. The reason for this seems to be a renegade Imperial captain known as Draugner the shark. Draugner have become a notorious pirate and follower of Stormfels and he has gathered a number of local pirates into an effective pirate force that has plagued the coast from Kislev and down to Marienburg. Some believe he even rivals many of pirate lords of Sartosa. Others say he is more daemon than man, but Donner will not believe such non sense, and he intends to prove it this day.
Donner walks up to the forecastle of the Wreatship and he can’t believe what he sees. In front of him is an entire fleet with black sails. Draugers Greatship have been feared on the coast, since his mutiny 7 years ago, but there are also 3 Wolfships along with him. The Wolfships are among the finest ships the Empire has. How did he get three of them?

Donner knew it would be hard to crush the pirate fleet as his fleet was no bigger, but it was now or never.

This is my first Man o War game in years. In fact it is my first real battle not using proxy ships. The last year I have collected 3 fleets that I want to try.

This time I used my imperial fleet and my pirate fleet. For the pirates I use imperial boats and rules, so in reality it is the Imperial fleet vs. the Imperial fleet.

I experimented with different lists, but fell down on these two using 950 points on each side.

Imperial fleet.
1 x Greatship.
1 x Squadron of 3 Wolfships.
1 x Squadron of 3 War galleys.
1 x Squadron of 3 Ironfists.
1 x Squadron of 3 Hellhammers.
1 x Wizard Champion from the Amethyst order.
1x extra Man o War card.

Pirate fleet
1 x Greatship.
1 x Squadron of 3 Wolfships.
3 x Squadron of 3 War galleys.
1 x Wizard of the amber order. (I imagine him as a warlock)

I set up the whole game with cards and playing area and allowed my opponent to choose which side he wanted. He chooses the Imperial fleet, leaving me with the pirates.

We placed our fleet. I had to use an extra table to get the table into official size. I do think we could have used the bigger table as I don’t think the 6 inches on each would be much in use. But as it was the first game, it felt right to use the official setup.
Also note that we played the first rounds wrong as I somehow thought there was a movement phase between magic and battle. I don’t think this had any significance to this game, and it was soon enough corrected.

Turn 1

The setup.

Turn 2

The Imperial fleet moves in a line. The Pirates tries to sneak the great ship in from the flank (A awful plan if you noticed the wind direction), and moves the Wolfships screened by the Wargalleys (A better plan)

Turn 3

First contact. The Imperial Greatship and joins the Iron fists. Both sides open fire, but the imperial fleet have some problems with the fire rate as some of the ships are too close to each other. Some minor damage is done. The most important was the loss of the cannon deck for a right flank pirate wargalley from Ironfist fire.

Turn 4

Some confusion with the movement on this round leaves the Imperial Wolfships without a target. The pirate Wolfships on the other hand gets some nice targets. One of the imperial Wolfships takes much damage.

Turn 5

According to the Man O War experts on the internet, the Wargalleys is hard to get into position to ram. We clearly did something wrong, as this round was ramming galore. Wood splinters as ships run into each other, guns are firing and ships sink. A pirate Wargalley on the right hand side boards an Ironfist, sinking it in the process. Two Imperial Wargalleys rams and sinks two Pirate Wargalleys. The imperial Wolfships fire and sink a pirate Wargalley on the right. The Pirate Wolfships do the same to a Hellhammer and an Imperial Wargalley. 6 ships down!

Turn 6

On the right hand side a Wargalley rams and sinks the sad remains of a imperial Wolfship. The remaining imperial Wolfships turn a Pirate War galley into splinters. A pirate Wargalley tries to board an Iron fist but fails, losing a crew counter. On the left the Pirate Wolfships tries to take down the Hellhammers before they manages to fire the last shot, they almost succeed as one of the guns are destroyed. Both ships still floats . The other ships continue to grind each other down.

Turn 7

As the Hellhammer have run out of ammunition, the Pirate Wolfships concentrate on the center. A critical hit removes the last crew on the Pirate Wargalley next to the Ironfist, the ship have no crew! The Ironfist have also been immobilized as it no longer has sail or ores.

Turn 8

Notice how dreadful the Pirate great ship position is! The Imperial Greatship manages to sink the remains of a Pirate Wolfship. A Pirate War galley also goes to the bottom as the result of Imperial cannons. The Hellhammer are out of weapons so they do nothing. The grinding of the center continues.

Turn 9

The pirate War galley with the green flag have now lost sail oars and cannon. Its crew can do nothing but watch.

Turn 10

A Pirate War galley and Wolfship goes down. The Amethyst Wizard champion starts repairing waterline damage on the greatship by magic.

Turn 11

More Magic repairs the Greatship further. An Imperial Wargalley goes down and the Pirate Greatship finally reaches the battle. The Pirate Warlock removes a crew counter on the imperial Greatship by foul magic.

Turn 12

Pirate Magic makes the Pirate crew on the Greatship even more bloodthirsty. The pirate admiral runs into the Imperial Greatship and the boarding begins. The Imperials lose all their crew including wizard and admiral. The Greatship is sunk. (I notice I lazy on the cotton now)

Turn 13

The wind change, and the Imperial ships are closing in on the two remaining Pirate ships.

Turn 14

The Pirates have lost nearly all their fire power and the Greatship is on fire.

Turn 15

The Imperial Wolfship is not sunk by Pirate fire but a misfired shell from the Iron fist. The last Pirates of Draugner goes down.

The Imperial marines cheered as the mast of Draugners ship went down, now they could go back to the port of Wolfenburg as the Heroes that brought Draugner down.

Later, while capturing pirates and picking up survivors, they found Donner floating among the debris of the Pirate Greatship. He was captured by the pirates and had managed to hold on to some wood as the ship went down.

The two Pirate Wargalleys were captured and soon went into Imperial service. The Empire had lost 1 Ironfist, one Hellhammer and two Wolfships.

If you liked this you might also like these:

Claustrophobia:
A session told by pictures + a bonus session

Space Hulk:
A session told by pictures.

Dugeonquest:
A Session told by pictures.

Warhammer Quest
Siegfrieds doom: or the search for the Dwarven Crown.

Warhammer Fantasy Battle
Daemons vs Vampire Counts

Warhammer Fantasy Battle
Trying 8th edition for the first time. Empire vs Daemons

Star Wars:
A session made out of LEGO, told by pictures.

Attacktix:
Introducing my 3 year old to miniature gaming. Each turn one picture!

Roborally:
A session told by pictures

My GW painting logg:
My games workshop projects, a logg.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did the battle take place on the Reik or something, that's some dirty water laugh ! When my MoW interest got raised again last year, I went out and bought a 4' by 4' piece of blue cloth. Was supposed to do a session report as well, but ummm... blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geir Erik Ø
Norway
Sandnes
flag msg tools
Geeks!
badge
Hello!
mbmbmbmbmb
I considered using on of the wife’s blue table cloth, but I decided it would hurt the playability as I couldn’t push the boats.

But when I realized how easy those boat got out of position when I was carefully placing cotton I think that this maybe was a wrong decition.

Normally I choose playability before looks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We normally play on the floor on the carpet (brown) cloth or no cloth, you have to lift and place the ships anyway. Cloth also helps to highlight the actual seascape, carpet is way bigger than 4' by 4'. What's your third fleet then?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geir Erik Ø
Norway
Sandnes
flag msg tools
Geeks!
badge
Hello!
mbmbmbmbmb
Dark elves

They were the next cheapest fleet on Ebay
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice. I looked into (and bid on some) DE fleets, but never got around to adding a third fleet to my Chaos and Humanity (mix of Bretonnia, Empire and Pirates) fleets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.