Jakub Kircun
United States
Woods Hole
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carthago Delenda Est - Session Report

I’m posting the first turn of a solo-play of scenario number 5 (Carthago Delenda Est). I recorded all my moves as a way to learn the game and maybe it’ll help other people with the rules as well. I’m planning on posting turn 2 and on later, but in much less detail I think.

TURN I - >> next turn >>

Figure 1. Setup Map.

+++

F Phase:

++

Pyrrhus Activation (Carthage): Pyrrhus decides to invade Italia and rolls a 5 for movement giving him 9 MPs. Pyrrhus initiates a naval transport action between Corcyra and Brundisium checking for naval disaster in the NTP between and rolling a 2 (nothing happens), and landing in Brundisium (6 MPs left). Pyrrhus then travels to Capua through Barium and initiates an assault (3 MPs left). The Roman force in Rome attempts to intercept rolling an 8 (+2 for tactical rating, +3 for City) for a total of 13 and succeeding to intercept; the Roman force moves into Capua and fight Pyrrhus.

Figure 2. Pyrrhus invades Italia.

Battle of Capua: Pyrrhus commits 1 elephant and rolls a 1 which reduces one Roman legion. Pyrrhus BP total = 15, Roman BP total = 14 (+0); Leader difference (+1 Pyrrhus). Pyrrhus rolls a 3, Rome rolls a 6. Pyrrhus uses the die-roll shift to reduce the Roman roll to 5. Rome loses 30% (4 BPs) destroying 1 legion. Pyrrhus loses 50% (8 BPs) destroying 2 HI and reducing 1 HI infantry. No leader death incurred. Pyrrhus then regroups back to Barium spending 1 MP to keep moving (2 MPs left) and moves to Tarentum ending his activation there.

Figure 3. Pyrrhus regroups.

++

Carthage Activation: Carthage starts its first activation by paying 1T to use his activation. (12T left) The he draws a card (Conqueror) and keeps it in-hand. He then decides to conduct an expansion action. Starting with a Major Move and selecting the leader at Carthage and rolls 1d6 and gets a 1 for a total of 6 MPs. Starting in Carthage he starts naval transport (along with 2 GS) and spends 3 MPs (3 MPs left) to travel to Messana, where he disembarks (ending his move there).

Figure 4. Carthage reinforces Sicily.

Next as a Minor Move Carthage decides to move the Garrison unit in Panormus to Messana. He rolls a 5 which is more than sufficient. For the second Minor Move Carthage decides to create a Town in Messana to further solidify his hold on the region. He pays 2T (10T left) and places a Town on Messana. This ends Carthage’s activation.

++

Rome Activation: Rome pays 1T to use his activation (17T left), and draws a card (Spies). He uses that card to look into Carthage’s hand (discarding the card). Rome decides to perform an Expansion Action by doing a Major move with his army in Capua rolling a 5 for a total of 9 MPs. He then moves the army to Peastum (where he destroys the Greek garrison), and then uses naval movement to Rhegium (to avoid interception by Pyrrhus) (3MPs left). He then breaks down his reduced legion into a garrison (2MPs left) and ends his Major Move. Rome now controls the province of Bruttium as well as the territory of Rome, gaining 2 in stability (+8).

Figure 5. Rome gains possession of Bruttium.

For his first Minor Moves Rome builds a Town in Rhegium (15T left). For his second Minor Move Rome moves 1 Legion out of Placentia (picking-up the Leader in the process). He rolls a 4 and moves the Legion (along with the leader) down to Rome. This ends Rome’s activation.

Figure 6. Rome sends a legion back home.

++

Rome Activation (as drawn): Rome spends 1T to use the activation. A card is drawn (Tribal Resurgence) and discarded as No-Event. Rome then performs a recruitment action and raises 4 Legions (6T left). 3 legions are put in Rome and 1 Legion in Rhegium.

++

Carthage Activation (as drawn): Carthage spends 1T to use the activation (9T left). "Deux ex-Machina" Card is drawn and kept in Carthage’s hand. Carthage decides to perform an expansion action and activates Pyrrhus as his major move. Pyrrhus rolls a 2 and gets a total of 6 MPs. Pyrrhus moves to Capua and initiates an assault (3 MPs left). Rome tries to intercept and rolls an 8, +1 (tactical rating), +3 (from city), totaling 12, which results in a successful interception.

Figure 7. Second battle of Capua.

Second Battle of Capua: Pyrrhus commits his elephant and rolls a 5 which eliminates an elephant. Pyrrhus rolls a 5, Rome rolls a 5. Rome has 16 BPs, Pyrrhus has 7 BPs [+2 to Rome]; Leader [+2 to Pyrrhus]; cavalry superiority [+1 to Pyrrhus]. Pyrrhus gets +1 and uses it to increase Rome’s damage to 60% (10 BPs; two legions are destroyed and one is reduced); Pyrrhus takes 50% damage (4 BPs; 1 HI infantry is destroyed, 1 reduced HI infantry is destroyed). No leaders are killed. 1d6 is rolled to check for Pyrrhus’ allegiance (because both side’s suffered 40%+ damage); a 2 is rolled and Pyrrhus remains Carthage’s ally. Pyrrhus immediately assaults Capua with his remaining forces; Pyrrhus bids 1T for siege expertise (9T left), Rome bid 0T; Pyrrhus has 2BPs, Capua has 2BPs; Pyrrhus rolls a 2, Capua rolls a 1; Pyrrhus get +1 for leaderships and +1 for siege expertise, raising Capua’s damage to 40% (1BP, Capua is captured and converted to an Independent Town). Pyrrhus suffers 10% damage (0BP, no loss). No leaders are killed. Pyrrhus then spends 2 more MPs (1MP left) and moves to Peastum (through Neapolis - no interceptions are attempted), and robs Rome of control of the province of Bruttium and Territory of Rome (-2 stability; down to +6). Pyrrhus ends his movement.

Figure 8. Pyrrhus denies Rome Bruttium.

Carthage then performs his first Minor Move by converting Lilybaeum into a City; he spends 3T (6T left) and removes 1HI. Second Minor move sees the building of another Town in Malaca; 2T (4T left) and 1 garrison are spent.

++

Rome Activation (as drawn): Rome spends 1T to use activation (5T left). Rome draws the "Independent Expansion" card and keeps it in hand. Rome decides to perform and expansion action. First a Minor Move is attempted with 1 Legion from Rome; a 3 is rolled. The Legion moves into Capua and recaptures the Town, it then moves to Neapolis, ending its move. Rome then performs his Major Move by moving the army in Rhegium, rolling a 5 for a total of 7MPs. The army stops in Peastum and initiates combat with Pyrrhus, who doesn’t withdraw (4 MPs left).

Figure 9. Rome destroys Pyrrhus.

Battle of Peastum: Rome rolls a 3; Pyrrhus rolls a 1; Rome has 12 BPs, Pyrrhus 3 BPs [+4 to Rome]; Leadership [+1 to Pyrrhus]; Cavalry Superiority [+1 to Pyrrhus]; total of +2 to Rome. Rome reduces damage to itself to 0% (0BPs), and increases damage to Pyrrhus to 40% (1BP, 1 LI is destroyed). No leaders are killed. Rome forces Pyrrhus to retreat (3MPs left); having to legal retreat path Pyrrhus and his army are destroyed. Rome recaptures control of the province of Bruttium and Territory of Rome +2 stability (+8). The Roman army in Peastum then moves back to Rhegium and ends its move.
In its second Minor Move Rome builds a Town in Pisae spending 2T (3T left) and 1 garrison.

++

Carthage Activation (as drawn): Carthage spends 1T to use activation (5T left). Carthage draws the "Revenues and Stability" card and plays it immediately (no effect). Carthage decides to recruit during this activation, raising 2 HI in Carthage (1T left).

++

Carthage Activation (as drawn): Carthage spends 1T to use activation (0T left). Carthage draws the "Revenues and Stability" card and plays it immediately (-1 stability; +4). Carthage performs an expansion action starting with a major move with the leader in Lilybaeum rolling a 6 for a total of 10 MPs. The leader uses naval transport to go to Carthage (0 MPs expanded because he is a lone leader), picks-up both HI infantry and one GS; then uses naval transport to travel back to Lilybaeum (dropping-off the GS), then continues to Panormus (rolling a 2 for continuity and passing the test), and then stoping and de-barking in Messana, ending its movement there (with 6 MPs left).

Figure 10. Carthage consolidates its hold on Sicily.

The first Minor Move Carthage activates the Cavalry unit in Thevestis rolling a 1 and moving the unit to Thugga. The second Minor Move the LI unit in Cirta is activated rolling a 6 moving it to Carthage.

Figure 11. Carthage reorganizes its forces at home.

++

Rome Activation (as drawn): Rome spends 1T to use activation (2T left). Rome draws the "Raise the Militia" card. Rome plays the "Independent Expansion" card and places a garrison on Peastum, however Carthage plays their "Deus ex-Machina" card and cancels that action. Rome decides to perform an expansion action. The leader is Rhegium activates and rolls a 2 for a total of 6 MPs, then moving to Tarentum and assaulting the city (3MPs left).

Battle of Tarentum: The Greeks decide to defend in the city. Rome spends 1T for siege expertise (1T left). Rome has 12 BP; Greece has 6 BP (cavalry is not used) [+2 for Rome]. Siege expertise [+1 for Rome]. Leader [+1 for Rome]. Rome gets a total modifier of +4. Rome rolls a 6, Greece rolls a 1. Rome decreases their casualties to 0% (0BP), and increases Greece’s casualties to 90% (5BPs, losing 1 LI, 2 wall-points, cavalry eliminated by default). Rome captures Tarentum. Rome then moves the army to Brundisium and destroys the garrison and GS (1MP left), and then returns to Tarentum, where it ends its move.

Figure 12. Rome conquers Bruttium.

First Minor Move is spent rebuilding the Town of Capua; 1T is spent (0T left). Second Minor Move is used to move the reduced-LG in Rome; die roll of 3 yields 3 MPs. The reduced-LG is moved to Paestum.

+++

G Phase: no isolated units.

+++

H Phase: VP calculations.

VP: Rome [GOP: +4; CVP: +3], total of +7 VPs, -1 Stability (+7). Carthage [GOP: +7; CVP: +5], total of +12 VPs, +1 Stability (+5).

GOP: Rome [provinces(+3)], total of 3 GOP. Carthage [provinces(+8)], total of 8 GOP.

CVP: Rome [full strength towns(+3); full strength city (+3); reduced-city (+1)], total of 7 CVP. Carthage [full strength towns (+3); full strength city (+6)], total of 9 CVP.

+++

I Phase:

Play Order for Turn II: Rome, Carthage.

+++

END OF TURN I

Figure 13. Start turn II.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
Re: Carthago Delenda Est
aweome stuff. I have this series but have been daunted by the rules volume and complexity. Looks like you nailed!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Barcelona_(1713–14)
badge
https://spanishpolice.github.io
mbmbmbmbmb
hipshot wrote:
aweome stuff. I have this series but have been daunted by the rules volume and complexity. Looks like you nailed!!

The rules of this game are daunting because there are a lot of holes and special cases that you must cover. Other than that, the turn sequence is really clear and the playing strategies are clear too.

So I'd recommend to just try playing and deciding yourself on dubious rules and later step by step filling those holes using these forums.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very good session. Keep it coming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Berg
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting . . . thanx for the session report.

Would be most interesting to know which rules are "dubious" . . . and why.

rhb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BROG wrote:

Hello, Mr. Berg.

There's a big dubious rule in the game, which is the amphibious assaults. It is not clear how many movement points must the unit have and what are the possible outcomes of failing the assault, being intercepted, playing militias in an otherwise empty assaulted space, etc. When playing usually holes appear in these rules.

The other dubious rule is diplomacy. The value of diplomacy is not clear, how can it be used, which information can be shared or not, if money or units can be transferred or lend-leased, etc.

Aside from that, mercenaries are too expensive to be bought (so they don't add to the fun)

Finally, the OO are usually impossible to achieve and add no historical chrome to the game. I'd prefer different objectives for every player (and they could give a lot of variance in different scenarios) and being more achievable to lure players to complete them.

These are my personal issues with this, otherwise fine, game.
meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Randall
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Excellent AAR, Jakub. Great stuff!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Randall
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Funny thing is, I've never had trouble with the amphibious rule. It's actually pretty simple - no matter what you want to do with an amphibious assault, you have to guarantee that you'll have enough movement points to make it back to a port if you lose.

That's it, really. You must figure out what you're trying to do and that you can get back to safety if you fail. The entire rule was an attempt to avoid suicide missions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Kircun
United States
Woods Hole
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the comments guys!

'BROG' wrote:

I don't have any major gripes with the rules, I believe the most common questions are well explained. However, I would like to see more official clarifications for the not-so-common issues, especially when it comes to naval operations, but also with a myriad of other rules. In Pax you can play your turn with a lot of inherent-freedom, and so it has a tendency to create peculiar situations for which rules don't exist (or at-least are not explained fully). However, this game has been around for awhile, and it is possible to find answers (some official, some not) to most "dubious-rules" on BBG or Consim.

I do realize that a 2nd edition of Pax is in the works, but it looks like it will be a while before GMT publishes it (I put my pre-order in). Has there been any thought given to releasing an updated living-rulebook? In a way one could go through the various rule-question posts on BBG/Consim and compile such an errata; even if such a document was fan-produced there is a lot of "official" rulings found in these forums.

With that said I'm a big fan of this game, and it is one of my all-time favourites (as well of the Ancient World series). I'm glad that another derivative of the system is in the works (Genesis), and would hope to see more in this family in the future (medieval-era for instance). I have been tempted to expend on the system myself (maybe some day).

Anyways, I'm hoping to post the second turn within the next couple of days!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nrandall wrote:
Funny thing is, I've never had trouble with the amphibious rule. It's actually pretty simple - no matter what you want to do with an amphibious assault, you have to guarantee that you'll have enough movement points to make it back to a port if you lose.

That's it, really. You must figure out what you're trying to do and that you can get back to safety if you fail. The entire rule was an attempt to avoid suicide missions.

Neil, our games go from strange to weird and beyond to bizarre. Some player is crossing enemy territory with permission from its owner and rolling continuity for a couple of spaces in-between and getting to the enemy coast, disembarking only to find militias raised by a card making them return to the ships and then, what? Rolling back to the intermediate spaces and rolling continuity again to get to an allied space and disembarking there, forcing a battle with your allied player! Things like that.

I know that there must be a simple answer, we just don't find it for each situation in our strange/weird/bizarre games. We've talked about that in CSW.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I'd like to see tons of scenarios for this game system.
And of course, I'd like to see more Ancient World games. AW would also profit from some clarifications about Carthaginian recruitment process.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.