Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
R Hilton
United States
Sarasota
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are there any more firefight scenarios out there? For AtB, SoS, or PoH? If so, are they available online anywhere? Academy Games does have a few Bonus Firefights on its website (which is great), but unless I'm missing it, it doesn’t seem that there is a very active player community submitting new firefight scenarios. This seems somewhat surprising given the apparent strong player fan base. I realize that the game publishers can’t afford to devote a lot of time ensuring that any firefights players might submit meet the rigorous standards of their published firefights. But it would still be great to have a more informal forum where players can submit firefights for other players to try, with a more caveat emptor philosophy. Just hoping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon creek
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I haven't seen any. I must admit that I still haven't played through all the scenarios that come with the games or on academy's website (I have all three games in the series) so haven't worried about it too much yet.

I understand there is a battle generation system in the works (for some time now) so that may help when it's done.

If I run out of scenarios then I may be inclined to write some myself but currently don't have much impetus to do so. Presumably if other players of the game wrote a scenario they could post it here on the geek...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcin Woźniak
Poland
Niemcz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I used to play battlelore (CoH is my number one now, definitely), I really enjoyed simple yet efficient Scenario Editor, that was presented on Days of Wonder website. It was so simple, that anyone could have easily make a firefight .... sorry, scenario, and upload it in no time, there was also easy to use system of rating scenarios and writing down one's opinion. It was easy to rate, easy to check the winning statistics...
I'd love to see sth like this about CoH
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moises Del Mar
Costa Rica
Quepos
flag msg tools
mb
I have made three so far, but have yet to playtest them. I feel like I've incorporated some interesting ideas in them and also have used some of the more obscure orange cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Limburgerhof
flag msg tools
Designing game modules for the Zuntzu online gaming platform
badge
The Art of War
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Academy Games does have a few Bonus Firefights on its website (which is great), but unless I'm missing it, it doesn’t seem that there is a very active player community submitting new firefight scenarios. This seems somewhat surprising given the apparent strong player fan base.

You are right, considering the strong fan base, there are few player made firefights. However, this can be interpreted as a sign of the quality of the official firefights. Having AtB, SoS and PoH I am yet to reach the firefights from the actual expansion. Thanks to the many different possible approaches to try out, many scenarios have a large replay value so that the total quantity of available firefights seems low in pure numbers, but you can squeeze a lot out of them before they feel completely explored. I find myself often replaying them without losing interest, trying new approaches and switching sides.

Also, it is not easy to generate good scenarios in CoH. Due to the squad-tactical level with relative low counter density, every unit and its position plays an important role so that good research and playtesting is mandatory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G K
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Mattel Electronics Presents
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tend to agree with the above posters. The official firefights are very good barring a couple minor hiccups, and set a high bar for fan made ones to match up with. Also, I think a lot of CoH fans were drawn to the system because it requires less time investment to play, so only a fraction of it's fanbase would be likely serious firefight designers. Myself, like many others I suspect, haven't even played all the included scenarios in the 3 boxes, we usually play each scenario from both sides before moving onto the next one.

But quality fan made scenarios would be awesome. From Academy's presence on these forums I think they would embrace such fan additions to the game. Extra unit counters are in the works (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/569292/additional-easter...) to support this, (and extra firefights are supposed to be included with the counters!). Now if only there were some firefight design templates and a point/balancing system available, and a central place to publish and rate firefights...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Hilton
United States
Sarasota
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree about the overall quality of the existing firefights. I have not played through all of them, but have played through a couple of times, solo at least, those that I am likely to. Some of the firefights that are larger in scale (e.g. the 4 player ones) or heavily hidden unit dependent (not so great for solo play) are less appealing to this player, which reduces the effective number of playable firefights.

No doubt there is a trade-off between having a fewer number of firefights, each of which is highly tuned for balance, and having a greater number of firefights that have undergone less fine-tuning for balance but that illustrate different interesting and realistic combinations of unit types and terrain features. A basic firefight design template could perhaps help achieve the latter (here's to hoping that becomes a reality soon). Likewise, a central place to publish and rate firefights could offer players a wider variety of firefights that feature combinations of unit types and terrain elements that different players find especially appealing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse LeBreton
United States
Kingsford
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a few scenarios located right here on BGG. See the files section.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Hilton
United States
Sarasota
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for pointing those out. I never really checked out the Files section, and will give them a try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.