Blue (She/her)
Canada
Guelph
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone heard from TheSparky? Hope he's alright. Any other WW regulars in Japan we should be worrying about?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamgar
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
badge
Knowing where the trap is - that's the first step in evading it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Raid1280 wrote:
Good morning everyone.

Apparently an 8.9 magnitude earthquake hit Japan early this morning, which was stated as one of the top 5 in the world since 1900.

Sparky has posted to his facebook wall that he's ok, his place is just a little messy, but he's fine.

Personally...I think it was a sandworm.

Let's keep him and the others affected by this in your prayers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamgar
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
badge
Knowing where the trap is - that's the first step in evading it.
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope he's okay

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue (She/her)
Canada
Guelph
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jamgar wrote:
Raid1280 wrote:
Good morning everyone.

Apparently an 8.9 magnitude earthquake hit Japan early this morning, which was stated as one of the top 5 in the world since 1900.

Sparky has posted to his facebook wall that he's ok, his place is just a little messy, but he's fine.

Personally...I think it was a sandworm.

Let's keep him and the others affected by this in your prayers.

Oh good, thanks. I wasn't watching Dune so didn't see this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh Captain! My Captain!
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It's okay, I hear rumours that Sparky is an invincible moderator, so fret not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Urza, PhD of Dungeon Crawl
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope he posts in here, just to allay any fears.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Here to Help!
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The Computer is your Friend
mb
Hello all. Just a quick up date to say that I am alive and well in my apartment in Japan. The power and internet just came back on, so life is quickly returning to normal around this part of Japan (aside from now worrying about a nuclear meltdown in a power plant in the prefecture to the north).

The area I was in at the time of the major earthquake was hit by a low-6 magnitude quake, and the area my apartment is in was hit by a middle-6 quake. My apartment basically looked like someone had broken in with the sole intent on knocking everything to the floor and making as large a mess as possible.

There have been a few major aftershocks after the major earthquake, a few 6s and a 7, and there have been over 150 since the initial earthquake. They've been happening about every 20 minutes, and are starting to get boring.

Thanks for keeping me in your thoughts, and please continue to pray for those in the northern parts of Japan who have been affected worse than I was.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Fournier
United States
Belmont
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I'm with Tommy now. His family is shaken up but fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Munn

Unspecified
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
About that meltdown: read this article, and you'll know more about nuclear reactors than any journalist who's currently hyperventilating about Chernobyl. And yet the article itself doesn't take any education past basic physics to understand (you need to know what a neutron is, but not much more):

http://morgsatlarge.wordpress.com/2011/03/13/why-i-am-not-wo...

Extremely telling quote from the article:

Quote:
I have been reading every news release on the incident since the earthquake. There has not been one single (!) report that was accurate and free of errors (and part of that problem is also a weakness in the Japanese crisis communication). By “not free of errors” I do not refer to tendentious anti-nuclear journalism – that is quite normal these days. By “not free of errors” I mean blatant errors regarding physics and natural law, as well as gross misinterpretation of facts, due to an obvious lack of fundamental and basic understanding of the way nuclear reactors are build and operated. I have read a 3 page report on CNN where every single paragraph contained an error.

So if you've been worried about the nuclear reactor, just remember that journalists never, ever get it right. Then go read this blog post by someone who actually does understand nuclear reactors and can make sense of the situation. He's not in Japan himself so he can only rely on the media reports, but he's got a good sense of what's B.S. and what isn't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludes
United States
Honor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Sparky: an update would be nice. Hope all is well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Too Much Candy
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
A friend in need is a friend indeed
badge
An enemy in need is hilarious
mbmbmbmbmb
LudesFactor wrote:

Sparky: an update would be nice. Hope all is well.

Sparky's access is spotty, so I hope he won't mind if I pass on the message from his Dune mod chat:

He wants to let everybody know he's still fine, but may soon be evacuated from his home due to the increasing nuclear fallout concerns. He is grateful for all your concerns and support.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue (She/her)
Canada
Guelph
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SuperChutney wrote:

He wants to let everybody know he's still fine, but may soon be evacuated from his home due to the increasing nuclear fallout concerns.

Christ on a cracker. This whole thing is so terrifying. When the earthquake happened, I was like "Wow, that's scary, but it'll be over soon." I had never anticipated such long-reaching effects, but this is a hell of a disaster. Poor Japan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Here to Help!
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Sorry guys, it's been crazier than usual around here lately.

I'm fine and I don't forsee the situation getting worse. laugh

Still having aftershocks every few hours, and there's still disquiet about the nuclear reactors, but it's much less stressful now.

I hope everything is going well with everyone else

For an adorable explanation of the nuclear situation, I recommend this video:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Here to Help!
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mb
It's been 1 month since the Great Tohoku Earthquake. There was a moment of silence at 2:46 this afternoon as we all prayed for the victims of the natural disasters.

To celebrate the 1 month milestone, Japan decided to have another fairly major earthquake. Only a 6.6 this time, but the epicenter was right on the northern edge of Ibaraki, the prefecture I live in. The close proximity meant that we got to experience roughly the same strength earthquake today that we did a month ago. Gee, thanks Japan.

Japan has done an amazing job on recovery, but there's still a lot to be done. If you thought about donating but never got around to it, it's definitely not too late. There are many worthy causes out there, I think the Japanese Red Cross is a good choice to make sure your money actually goes towards relief efforts.

Please keep Japan in your thoughts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue (She/her)
Canada
Guelph
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sheezus. I think you should just come home early, Ken.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val K
United States
Bowie
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc
mbmbmbmbmb
TheSparky wrote:
It's been 1 month since the Great Tohoku Earthquake. There was a moment of silence at 2:46 this afternoon as we all prayed for the victims of the natural disasters.

To celebrate the 1 month milestone, Japan decided to have another fairly major earthquake. Only a 6.6 this time, but the epicenter was right on the northern edge of Ibaraki, the prefecture I live in. The close proximity meant that we got to experience roughly the same strength earthquake today that we did a month ago. Gee, thanks Japan.

Japan has done an amazing job on recovery, but there's still a lot to be done. If you thought about donating but never got around to it, it's definitely not too late. There are many worthy causes out there, I think the Japanese Red Cross is a good choice to make sure your money actually goes towards relief efforts.

Please keep Japan in your thoughts.

I love the creativity of the Japanese. I *never* would have thot of having another quake to celebrate the first one. That’s outside the box thinking that is just beyond me.
surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.