Popular Tags: [View All]
oystein eker
Norway
Unspecified
sola
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you agree with Scott Nicholson way back, and found a very bad Murder Mystery game, and later realized that Android is a dystopian experience, and not an ordinary hasbroian boardgame?

Did you convert at some point? Just curious.

I read about dystopic themes and history in wiki. Android fits in perfectly. Even a small glimpse of corporations that act as a government can you see, or more correct feel in Android.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dystopia.

Too bad Android is not mentioned in theme wiki list. Just computer based games.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_dystopian_music,_TV_pro...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I'm a pretty forgiving, easy going person in general. When I pick up a new game, I learn the rules and play the game. I don't much struggle with deep analysis of how well the theme fits the mechanics and what exactly the meaning of thus-and-such is in the game. The rules call it Time? It's just action points to me.

So for me, I just played and enjoyed. I like meaty games. This one was pretty cool because it was a meaty game not on a subject we've had before, so I liked that a lot. Then I came to the site and read all these things from people having a hard time getting a hang of the game. They had all kinds of issues that were completely non-existent to me and the people I was playing with - agonizing over "framing" the suspects and not really getting why things interacted the way they do.

And I spent some time thinking about it. And I came to the conclusion that most people get thrown by the words "murder mystery". Those words should not be used when describing this game. They come with baggage that dates back to Clue on the living room floor with your siblings.

A murder investigation is something the characters are doing in the game, but it is not really a mystery to the players. It's an unfolding story. The whole game is that way. I think if more people were taught that up front - this is a story board game set in a dystopian future world where you try to have the best life you can for your character - then I think we'd never have this misunderstanding that somehow the game is a failure because there's no Mr. Green doing it in the Hall with the revolver.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Hisle
United States
Cottage Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nicely put, Eric.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Batt
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Rebel
mbmbmbmbmb
Ive converted. After reading Mikecl's review, I finally decide to purchase the game.

I had been passing it up for the past few years because of the bad rap it got here on BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
~Ryan McSwain
United States
Amarillo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought it, and I think I went into it with a right attitude (This is a game about your character living out their story within the context of a murder mystery plot).

I loved it. I had a bit of confusion with the rules (particularly how NPC characters behave, not a big deal), but otherwise it went pretty smooth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oystein eker
Norway
Unspecified
sola
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. Nice to see that some of Scott N. video damage (among others) Murder Mystery has been repaired. This what this thread is about.

I have no problem if you played in a "correct" RPG style and mood and still does not like it. We are all different!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calavera Despierta
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I wouldn't call myself a "converter" since I think I got what Android was trying to do from the first moment I entered its tweaked out, soot-covered, digitally overdosed world. The disjointed nature of the mechanics and the lack of feeling of control a player experiences as he interacts with them is the whole damn dirty point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McKendrick
United Kingdom
Glasgow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wish I could award you one million thumbs Mscrivner

(edited for spelling)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
badge
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you thought about editing the article and adding Android to the list?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.