The Apostle Green
United States
Lake County
Illinois
flag msg tools
That is not dead which can eternal lie
mbmbmbmbmb
Mites (3)

Mites are a symbiotic race and are treated as an in-decline race for all game purposes (except that they may conquer regions; see below.) Mites seek out an active race to cohabit with; that race becomes the Mites' host race until such time as the Mites leave the game (and their race badge returns to the bottom of the stack.)

You must have an active race in order to select the Mites. When you select the Mites, they "bypass" your active race immediately and replace your existing in-decline race (if any, unless you have Spirit power.) You may take no action with your active race for this turn, other than to collect victory points, and the only action you may take with the Mite tokens is to deploy them into regions occupied by your active race. You must deploy all available Mite tokens (3 + the number on their power badge) to the map at this time. Your active race immediately becomes the Mites' host race. If, because of some special power or rule variant, you have more than one active race, you must designate one as the Mites' host race. Mites can never, under any circumstances, have an in-decline race for a host.

The Mites receive their base number of tokens (3) plus the number indicated by their power badge, like any other race, but the Mites may not use the special power on their power badge. Instead, this power is conferred upon their host race, so your active race now makes use of two powers in combination. Example: if your active race is Hill Giants, and you select Flying Mites, your Giants now function as Flying Hill Giants.

Mites take their turn along with their host race; i.e. during Conquering, take all extra tokens of Hosts AND Mites in your hand together. You may conquer a region with any combination of host race tokens and Mite tokens, provided that you have at least one token of the host race involved. (i.e. every conquest requires at least one token of your active race.) You may not use Mites during a particular conquest if doing so would require the Mite tokens to take advantage of any special or racial power. (Thus, Mites cannot accompany the host race on a Flying or Seafaring attack, a Catapult attack, an attack via an Underground connection, etc.) The only exception to this is the effect of a Tales & Legends card or similar game variant; any world-changing effect DOES apply to the Mites. Each Mite token is worth 1, and only 1, for purposes of conquest; i.e. the Mites do not "inherit" any other possible attack value bonuses from their host race.

During Troop Redeployment, you may freely redistribute any of your Mite and Host tokens among any of your occupied regions. Mites may be left to occupy regions by themselves, unless doing so would require a racial or special power. For example, if the Host race has the Seafaring power, you cannot position Mite tokens in a sea or lake unless they are also accompanied by one or more tokens of their Host race. A region occupied solely by Mites can contain special tokens (Bivouacking camps, Heroes, Dragon Master, etc.) but tokens in such a region have no special effect, and if that region is conquered, you must take any such tokens in hand until the beginning of your next turn. A region containing both Host and Mite tokens is treated as an Active region for all game situations in which this applies. A region containing only Mite tokens is treated as an In-Decline region for all game situations in which this applies.

Mites collect no VP's for regions they occupy by themselves at the end of your turn. Any such regions do not count as occupied regions where relevant to racial or special bonuses (e.g. Imperial, Hill, Forest, Merchant, etc.)

For purposes of defense, each Mite token has a value of 1 and only 1; i.e. the Mites do not "inherit" any other possible defense value bonuses from their host race. When an opponent conquers a region containing both Hosts and Mites, you are required to discard only one token to the tray. You may choose which race (Hosts or Mites) loses the token. If the Host race has a Leader present, or other ability that prevents the loss of a token, this benefit extends to the Mites as well. Otherwise, Mites are NOT treated as tokens of their host race for any game situation.

Mites do not and can not have a Leader.

When their host race goes into decline, or if the last Mite token is returned to the tray, the Mites (and their race and power badges) leave the game immediately, even if the one of the owning player's races has the Spirit power.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Apostle Green
United States
Lake County
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Notes
Concept:

A "riding shotgun" race that confers its special power upon its host race, and whose tokens can be used to provide attack and defense bonuses.

Advantages:

Just imagine the possibilities for the lucky host race. Berserk Flying Skeletons, anyone? How about Mounted Pillaging Sorcerers, Heroic Seafaring Tritons, or Hordes of Alchemist Kobolds?

Balancing Factors:

* Limited number of Mite tokens
* Mite tokens cannot use any special power or racial ability
* Regions occupied by Mites alone provide no victory coins and count toward no victory/racial/special bonuses of any kind.
* Owner must sacrifice any existing in-decline race (and associated victory coin revenue.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Olsen
United States
South Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
An interesting idea, but way too complicated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Apostle Green
United States
Lake County
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jabooty3 wrote:

It *does* seem so, and I confess that when I first came up with the concept about six months ago I had similar reservations about how it would play out, and my group was skeptical upon first read, but we have found it far less complicated in practice than it reads.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Apostle Green
United States
Lake County
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, for what it's worth, once we had our hands on Necromancer Island, we frankly found the Necromancer/Ghost race to be at least as in-depth as the Mites, in terms of rule specifics. (Admittedly, I'm biased... cool)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Holden
United States
Wheat Ridge
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jabooty3 wrote:

It's worth noting that with some intensive editing, all that rules text could probably be boiled down to something about the size of the priestesses' ability. And I do mean intensive

The only problem I have with this is: when does one take the Mites? The way I read the rules, the only time one may choose an ability is when they have no active race...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Apostle Green
United States
Lake County
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
...when does one take the Mites? The way I read the rules, the only time one may choose an ability is when they have no active race...

You may choose to select the Mites on any turn. In your race hierarchy, the Mites immediately take the place of your In-Decline Race (if you have one.)

If you have an In-Decline Race, it immediately disappears from the board and you immediately return its Race Badge to the bottom of the stack, and discard its Power Badge.

Your Active Race can take no action this turn except to collect Victory Points. The Active Race stays in play as your Active Race. In fact, it has to, because it is now the Mites' host race.

Based on our gaming group experience, I've been toying with streamlined rules for the Mites. I'm not prepared to acknowledge that the Mites are too complicated for Small World, but my group and I do feel that the Mites' rules are cumbersome and inelegant. I'll probably share a Mites Redux soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Apostle Green
United States
Lake County
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've reworked this race as Shapeshifters. See http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/7821932#7821932

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.