Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig Andrews
Wales
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Day 1.
It was on the 11th day of March at half past the hour of ten that I, Antrax Spellsinger, returned to the village in which I was raised. I had heard that the Nameless was once again threatening the land and that I had only a short time to defeat him. Realising the only way to do this was to complete a quest for my King to regain my family’s Precious Stone and then defeat him in mortal combat. I set out at once, heading West to the Southern swamps, along the way I was asked to carry some boots to the Ranger. Not one to turn down the offer of some gold, and realising it would be good experience for me I accepted the quest. The fellow also told me that a nearby archery competition was being held, but having little skill with the bow, I decided taking part would not be worth my while.

Day 2.
Sadly upon waking the next morn I realised my folly, I had in fact forgotten that I would have difficulty traversing the ancient haunted forest so I headed back through my village and headed North towards the great lake. I heard tale that an ancient terrifying gravestone containing riches could be found somewhere in the standing stones to the North West. As I had to spend the night here at the Southern end of the lake anyway I decided it would be worth my while to seek out this stone. It could aid me in my quest. It seemed to be that competitive time of year as whilst here I heard of a joust, but much like my bowmanship, my combat skills were of little use do I once again declined.

Day 3.
I decided that I did not wish to pay the exorbitant fees to cross the lake so I headed West into the Northern swamp. After travelling as far as I could I had a vision of sorts and felt myself grow stronger in the art of combat despite having simply rested for the day (Visit the house of another player...). Whilst I was setting up for camp I was attacked by a ghoul but I quickly vanquished it with a spell. I searched through it’s remains and found a strange golden key, which I put in my pack, perhaps one day I would figure out it’s meaning. (key o2 Daphne). No sooner had I returned to my camp but a shadowed figure came at me from the swamp. I knew from previous experience that my magic would not be at full strength as I fought it, but fight it I must. It struck me a chilling blow and, severely weakened, I feared for my life. I fled into the forest and spent the night afraid it would find me. Thankfully it did not.

Day 4.
I spent the next day searching for the path through the North swamp. I knew it was there as I had used it as a child but on this day it eluded me so I was forced to spend another night in this misty hellish place. I did see some travellers who told me that Nameless’ Servants had been seen in the lands to the South-West.

Day 5.
Giving up on the path, as I feared for loosing more time, I headed on the wooden planked path to the South. However just as I entered the Southern swamp lands I was waylaid by a Thief. As he took me unawares I was unable to ready my magic and was forced to fight him in melee, sadly he struck me with, what I knew was, a fatal blow. As I write this entry my life fades, I hope this journal is found by my kin and that they have more luck defeating nameless than I...

Antrax Spellsinger RIP
Score: +500 Points (1 Experience Point)

Day 6.
I Sybil Spellsinger out to save the lands and avenge my brother, I knew he was dead, I had seen it in my dreams. Summoning his journal to me I knew the path he had taken and what fate befell him. I headed South into the Southern swamp but was determined I would not fall to the same blade Antrax had and endeavoured to find the secret way through the mists. I moved as far as I could, the pathway I would seek tomorrow.

Day 7.
In my dreams I saw that another of the Servants of Nameless had entered the land, this did not bode well. I tried to ignore the omen and set off to seek the path through the swamp. Despite hours of searching I did not find it. I camped by a strange overly large funghi that to my weary eyes looked like a house. As I fell asleep I vowed I would try to find the pathway again tomorrow.

Day 8.
Despite a thorough search, I found nothing.

Day 9.
The next day I awakened with new vigour and I sought and found the path. I hurried along and headed West for the temple. As I left the swamp I felt many eyes upon me but could see nothing, I paused and held my ground. A strange whispering silence filled the air and out of the mists I thought I had left behind came a giant spider. I threw an incantation at it but it dodged my blast, struck me and I felt it’s venom ran through my veins. My magic had scared it away for now but I knew it would be back, I slept lightly that night and planned to head off before the sun rose on the morrow.

Day 10.
That night I had the dreams again, it could only mean that another of the servants was abroad in the land. Today within sight of the castle I headed directly North with an eye to seeking an audience with the King. I passed a fire salamander along the way and knew the people of the volcano would reward me if I were to deliver it home, I pocketed the little creature. I sensed something behind me and realised the damned thing had been set as a trap. A damned death knight charged me from the woods. I treid to fight him but he struck me and my heart blood was spilled, I felt my soul moving on to join Antrax, then I felt no more...

Sybil Spellsinger RIP
Score: 500 Points (Inherited 1 Experience Point)

At this point the wise line of Spellsingers realised it was too late to now defeat Nameless and fled the lands leaving it to the mercy of the Dark Shadow and his servants...

I quite enjoyed the game. I did find it very hard as the Mage due to the starting health of 2. I think next time I play I’ll play with Grop Frosthammer. His stats are more varied, he has 5 health and more gold. His special ability is of limited use but I never got to use the Mages’ either.

I did like the out of the box solo rules, the turn limit representing Nameless’ rise is quite fun and makes you try to plan more than in the multiplayer ‘wandering’ games I have played. I really want to play with a hidden board and all the tokens but don’t think the track would work as it would take too long. I may try the alternative solo rules with the moving servants as that sounds like it could be fun.

I did have a couple of questions, can I move off any edge of the board to ‘wrap-around’ to the other side. I played it that I couldn’t as I wanted to get a real experience moving round the lands but remember reading something like this at some point but can’t find it in the rules right now.

Also what does the text on the spider mean ? It has =1 in a heart next to the text ‘you lose’. Does this mean if you lose in battle to it your health is reduced to 1 regardless of what you were on before ?

Craig aka MadWelshWizard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
TheMadWelshWizard wrote:
I did have a couple of questions, can I move off any edge of the board to ‘wrap-around’ to the other side. I played it that I couldn’t as I wanted to get a real experience moving round the lands but remember reading something like this at some point but can’t find it in the rules right now.

I can't remember exactly where, but I'm pretty sure either in the rules or clarification from the designer it was stated that you cannot "wrap around", so it sounds like you did it right.

Quote:
Also what does the text on the spider mean ? It has =1 in a heart next to the text ‘you lose’. Does this mean if you lose in battle to it your health is reduced to 1 regardless of what you were on before ?

Correct, with one exception: if you were already AT one health, you die.

Also, this is referring only to "natural" health, not any bonus health. Basically, against the spider (if I'm interpreting correctly), armor, etc, does not protect you - the spider's venom will penetrate no matter what.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Andrews
Wales
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Brilliant, thanks Scott !

C.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.