Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Valor & Victory» Forums » General

Subject: My Build of Valor & Victory -- Cheap, Fast, Works rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Seriously, turn off Facebook. You'll be happier.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb

I promised I'd put up a few photos of how I created my V&V set. It isn't the sweetest you'll see but it gets points for being a cheap date and it's likely the most unorthodox build you'll see. First of all, here's the brag shot of everything splayed out on the couch:

I have one of those antique book boxes to hold everything (the big one) that you can get at Michael's on sale for about $8. This one was lying around so I pressed it into service. My maps are printed to fabric which I detailed here -- http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/576930/printing-game-boa... and I'll let that thread do the talking on that aspect.

I don't have a lot of build gear so I decided to go for cheap and usable, planning to reprint anything damaged when the whisky spills. Inkjet printed onto cheap paper, then applied to this stuff:

I left the images big so you can blow them up to see the sku and model numbers. These foam sheets come in multiple colors but white seems the only one appropriate. Black could work but they're always out of it at my Michael's. This stuff is Michael's branded, so it may be difficult to find other places. I've seen it on Amazon but it's not up there right now.

The foam sheets are self-adhesive so you don't have to deal with spray glue. Peel the back off, stick the printout to it then cut. I fit a sheet and a half of counters onto one sheet of the foam and often one of the mini-blocks of counters as well -- the special weapons and stuff that's in two rows on the bottom of the pages. Each sheet is a couple of bucks and I'm usually bringing a 40% off coupon.

The result is nice thick pieces -- 1/8" and the foam is thick enough that they have some feel to them. You can count the stack without lifting due to the dark paper edge and the white body. I like them because they compress. I can pick up a single chit with my stubby fingers by pressing on one corner and the squish in the foam means the other side pops up off the map so I can pick it up easily.

They stick to each other just a bit so they tend not to skitter too quickly if you're on your second glass. Here's a shot edge-on so you can compare the thickness to my hand:

In the second image you can see there's a bit of a ripple to the edge where I cut the foam/paper with my old kitchen scissors. A razor cut would almost certainly have given better results and frankly waiting long enough to let the ink dry wouldn't have hurt any either. But this was a soft evening project. I'd have no fear taking the project to my boys' Cub Scout den given the level of dollars and dangers in the mix.

My goal with this build was "playable" and there's a certain freedom when playing with cheap, replaceable components. One unit proved completely useless to my buddy, hitting nothing early in the game then getting rolled the first time they took fire. In his anger he picked up the piece, held it close to his face and said, "you have disappointed me and now you will pay." He proceeded to eat the piece, chewing a bit to show his displeasure and telling me that it would serve as an example to the rest of his units. I noticed no change in their morale during the remainder of the game.

I recommend this option to first-timers because it's cheap, doesn't require tools that aren't readily available, and produces results in under an hour. The self-adhesive foam is worth having around the house for all sorts of reasons other than this too -- remarkably handy stuff.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Houserule Jay
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:

My goal with this build was "playable" and there's a certain freedom when playing with cheap, replaceable components. One unit proved completely useless to my buddy, hitting nothing early in the game then getting rolled the first time they took fire. In his anger he picked up the piece, held it close to his face and said, "you have disappointed me and now you will pay." He proceeded to eat the piece, chewing a bit to show his displeasure and telling me that it would serve as an example to the rest of his units. I noticed no change in their morale during the remainder of the game.

Holy shit, am I ever glad I wasn't drinking anything when I read this, that was bluddy hilarious and it would have made a big mess in my uncontrollable laughter!

Thanks for the post, the visual and the laugh out loud.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's always interesting to see how much money/time you spent. Could you estimate that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb

It's really tough to calculate this time. I started with V&V on a trade, getting several paper maps and "thin" counters and a rule book already printed. It's costing me about about $0.90 per counter sheet (pretty raw guess) if I put .25 for the inkjet page and .65 for the foam. I'm getting a couple of sheets per foam sheet on average and I usually get 40% off.

My maps on cloth were about $22 but that was more about doing it than needing it. I guess I could do paper maps for .40 each I suppose. A lot of blue and yellow to print those pups.

Time-wise, likely I've put in a total of two hours sticking and cutting. I've done it sitting in front of the TV. The maps to cloth required some pdf magic that was out of my reach and I got help from two fellow geeks (that I should thank here but I've forgotten their names) but the quick response led me to believe it wasn't that hard to do.

The next on I want to go after is 1066: The Battle of Hastings in 3D and I think the foam would be ideal for that. Again, I won't win any beauty contests but the Miss Congeniality trophy won't look half bad on the shelf. Your glossy versions have little to fear from my squishy counters.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for posting Sag. I've steered away from PnP as I hate to devote any of limited hoby time to making the games (likewise never got into minatures). This looks like an attractive option fo rme, though the nearest Michael's is in Grand Junction (about 4 hours away, assuming the passes are open) and they don't appear to sell over the internet. I did see the sheets at Amazon yesterday, but no way to specify a color.

Meanwhile Andrew has an order from me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bowker
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do like the foam idea. Hadn't thought of that. I have used the self adhesive felt sheets that a lot of craft shops sell. I have picked them up at Michaels and Hobby Lobby. I can't get as many pieces on a sheet but it works nicely too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pvi99th wrote:
I do like the foam idea. Hadn't thought of that. I have used the self adhesive felt sheets that a lot of craft shops sell. I have picked them up at Michaels and Hobby Lobby. I can't get as many pieces on a sheet but it works nicely too.

Man clear velcro sheets on top of a map and that sucker will be earthquake proof! Cats... are a different force of nature altogether unfortunately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sag! You haven't mustered the cojones to cut that pretty fabric map up yet?!!? Do you need some scissors?whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb

I haven't had a need to attach two maps together so far so I haven't cut yet. It's more out of not wanting one more part to keep track of than concern over doing damage.

Frankly most of my V&V play has been on Vassel.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.