Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Manns
United States
Cape Coral
FL
flag msg tools
mbmb
What does everyone consider to be the best Vintage Parker Brothers Games that adults can enjoy?
I have always liked Masterpiece and the Original Payday.
What are your thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that the original Pay Day was above average. We had Masterpiece, but didn't play much because it required 3 players. I think it was ok.

Careers stands out, since you choose your own victory conditions, and actually have a fair number of decisions to make throughout the game.

Clue isn't bad, especially if you use some house rules or variants to avoid the most annoying parts. Clue FX is actually better, which is surprising given the electronic gimmick.

Pit isn't bad either, for what it is.

None are great, but those are the best I can think of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Los 28
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably one of the most well known games by Parker Brothers is Monopoly or Risk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Kolman
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
peakhope wrote:
I agree that the original Pay Day was above average. We had Masterpiece, but didn't play much because it required 3 players. I think it was ok.

Careers stands out, since you choose your own victory conditions, and actually have a fair number of decisions to make throughout the game.

I used to play the hell out of Careers. Nice call on that one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lisa
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Masterpiece was one of my first "grown-up" games. My parents were antique dealers & also collected oil paintings. It was a perfect fit for our family. Unfortunately my Mom rarely played so my Dad & I had to create a "dummy third player" always made play tricky but I still remember loving playing the game with him. I'm pretty sure he would let me win. At 8-9 years old my poker face was non-existent.
We also had Clue & The Inventors but Masterpiece got the most play time with Clue as a close second (that could be done much easier with 2 players). My Dad is gone now but I attribute my love of games with him & all the happy memories of time spent together. I play games with my kids several times a week...sometimes they laugh at me but I think it's important to have those times together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We still play old versions of Trivial Pursuit, which is more than I can say for most classic games. The other two I began to suggest were Stratego and Scrabble (but not Parker Bros). It's actually all Hasbro now, anyway.

All is Hasbro.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bass
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
4000 A.D. Played this like crazy for a couple of summers.
* Larger fleet totally destroys smaller with no casualties itself
* Players can change plans on where their hyperspace ships are headed at any time before they leave hyperspace.

Avalanche One of my brother's favorites. The variant (?) where you try to fill in the colored card with no leftovers is best, imho.

The Magnificent Race A lot of luck, but pretty fun.
Featured a non-player character that could actually win the game.

Can't Stop Still gets played at our game group occasionally.

Square Off I still love this one. If you're good at the 15 puzzle, this is for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartow Riggs
United States
Antelope
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd have to say "Careers." I don't know if Careers was the first to use it but the best mechanic of that game (choosing "Money, Fame or Happiness" for victory points) was used later in several games, including "Magic Realm."

Second would be "Masterpiece".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chearns
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How old does one have to be to be vintage?

Can't Stop (1980) is an amazing three player game. While Survive! (1982) is probably the only AmeriTrash game that I consider good enough to play (which isn't surprising since some would probably argue that it isn't AmeriTrash at all).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Uncle Pennybags
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Bonkers... Camelot... +1 for Magnificent Race

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Los 28
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chearns wrote:
which isn't surprising since some would probably argue that it isn't AmeriTrash at all.

The only "argument" here, is that people should stop using the word "AmeriTrash."
Eh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Los28 wrote:
chearns wrote:
which isn't surprising since some would probably argue that it isn't AmeriTrash at all.

The only "argument" here, is that people should stop using the word "AmeriTrash."
Eh.

While I agree that "AmeriTrash" isn't a particularly helpful term, I believe chearns was using it in it's original context. The very first (documented) uses of AT were referring to the crappy roll-and-move board games that had been popular in America for so long. Like Monopoly and Candy Land. Later it evolved to mean whatever it means today.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to give you a couple of obscure ones, but excellent games nonetheless.

Formula-1 - Sort of like Formula De without dice. We had a lot of fun with this one.

Coup d'État - This one appeared one year and didn't stay around long, but it is a fine card game played in rounds, each round consisting of a separate card game with unique objectives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyrus the Great
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yacht Race is pretty good, if you can find it. Fantastic components and a really elegant, interactive system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Rose

Creston
Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Pente was a favourite of my brother and mine. I was able to reaquire it last week as a thrift find.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asili Eiliaz
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Chivalry/Camelot, without a doubt.

Also:
Can't Stop
Dune (Yes, THAT Dune. Underappreciated, but dependent on theme. It really kind of resembles the game from the movie Quintet. Very playable.)
Pit
Crown Red (not TOO great but still stylin' and fun)
Parker has been the publisher for Focus but I don't know if it's the primary one

Secondary abstracts such as:
Citadel
Chaos
Orion (which I haven't played but damn.)
Qubic
Smess

with a special mention for:
This Game is Bonkers (this PB right? MB? Well anyway)

and the one I truly covet:
Skyscraper

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.