BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: Mmmm, the OC.... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Naz and I will be in Southern California for two weeks starting September 5th. We come home on the 20th.

It's a native Oregonian's first trip to Southern California. He's very cautious with his excitement....

I however, am looking forward to:
1. Seeing my Auntie and Cousin and seeing them meet Naz for the first time.
2. Dinner at the Paradise Cafe in Santa Barbara, on the porch at sunset.
3. Going to The Getty center, Korea town and Little Tokyo for the first time.
4. Showing Naz Little Saigon
5. Disneyland!
6. Hanging with Hive God and Hive Family, maybe sharing a potato.
7. Fish Tacos and a bucket of tiny Coronas.
8. Seal Beach's tacky main street and familiar walk to the shore.
9. San Diego Zoo and getting to possibly meet Dogzard! (Probably going to make San Diego 2 days.)
10. My cousin's backyard. She's an avid gardener and they have a nice dinner table set up outside. Dinner on the porch in the evenings. The only thing missing will be my Grandma. (Hang on..I have something in my eye....)

Hooray! Vacation!

And just cause I feel like bragging a teensy bit, my last big essay for my writing class earned 100 points. A perfect score! wow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Amstutz
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like an awesome vacation! I'm looking forward to meeting you as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean
Australia
In hiding
flag msg tools
badge
In blackest night, in shining day, My Will is all - I'll have my way! With Emerald Light in focused ray, This Duck will rule! (If that's okay?)
mbmbmbmbmb
zorazen wrote:
And just cause I feel like bragging a teensy bit, my last big essay for my writing class earned 100 points. A perfect score! wow

Is this that notorious essay where you contended that men should be banned from consuming yoghurt?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mb
GreenDude wrote:
zorazen wrote:

Is this that notorious essay where you contended that men should be banned from consuming yoghurt?

No, I only got a 92 on that one. This one was a little more depressing and a lot harder to write.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Jorgensen
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zorazen wrote:
And just cause I feel like bragging a teensy bit, my last big essay for my writing class earned 100 points. A perfect score! :wow:

I think a 100 point perfect score entitles you to bragging rights.

I went back to school 5 years ago (after being out of school for 11/12 years) for a work related cert, and getting good grades is a real buzz.

Hope you guys have a great vacation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
zorazen wrote:
6. Hanging with Hive God and Hive Family

Now, there's no shame in this--many of the biggest names in Hollywood rely on them--so I'm just going to throw this out there as a suggestion for you. Stunt doubles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! I don't got all day! Come on! Come on! Come on you bastard! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? "
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll have a great time. My wife's from Pomona; when we go to visit her family, there's always something new to check out. (though I haven't gotten an invitation from HiveGod yet... )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mb
kuhrusty wrote:
zorazen wrote:
6. Hanging with Hive God and Hive Family

Now, there's no shame in this--many of the biggest names in Hollywood rely on them--so I'm just going to throw this out there as a suggestion for you. Stunt doubles.

Don't tell him this but
Spoiler (click to reveal)
we're actually sending our cats in our place. Hopefully they'll never notice....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah D
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zorazen wrote:

If you get a chance stop at Beachwood BBQ. Awesome food and awesome beer. It is small and gets very crowded very quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Cordelia wrote:
zorazen wrote:

If you get a chance stop at Beachwood BBQ. Awesome food and awesome beer. It is small and gets very crowded very quickly.

Never seen anyone from Seal Beach before on here! I'm also looking forward to the Katella deli and Koi Japanese Restaurant.

My Aunt bought her house there, just on the other side of PCH from the beach about 50 years ago. She paid something like 30,000 for it back then.

Oh, I'm getting nostalgia! So much of my childhood spent in Seal Beach.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah D
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only been out here a few years, but I enjoy Seal Beach a lot. Koi is good. Kamikazes across the street is also really tasty. I have never been to the deli, I will have to check it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Cordelia wrote:
I have only been out here a few years, but I enjoy Seal Beach a lot. Koi is good. Kamikazes across the street is also really tasty. I have never been to the deli, I will have to check it out.

It's either in Cerritos or Los Alimitos. It's where all the elderly dine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
ya gotta bunny/duck it in your head
badge
"I looked at my hands, I understood that one fine day, one fine evening to be precise, they would no longer be hands but some other awful thing." —Jack Kerouac
mbmbmbmbmb
berserkley wrote:
You'll have a great time. My wifes's from Pomona; when we go to visit her family, there's always something new to check out. (though I haven't gotten an invitation from HiveGod yet... )

Drop me a line next time you're coming down!*

*Chances are very good I'm not a (mumble-mumble) who needs out-of-town (mumble)s with no direct connection to the everyday shell of my hollow life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mb
HiveGod wrote:
berserkley wrote:
You'll have a great time. My wifes's from Pomona; when we go to visit her family, there's always something new to check out. (though I haven't gotten an invitation from HiveGod yet... )

*Chances are very good I'm not a (mumble-mumble) who needs out-of-town (mumble)s with no direct connection to the everyday shell of my hollow life.

I was thinking that we should play Arkham Horror because I think Naz and I are doing it wrong because we keep winning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jennings
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Nice. There's a lot of fun stuff on that list. If you're going to see one major attraction in San Diego, I guess that the zoo would be it. Have fun on your trip!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! I don't got all day! Come on! Come on! Come on you bastard! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? "
mbmbmbmbmb
HiveGod wrote:
berserkley wrote:

Thanks Chris! See you then!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zorazen wrote:
HiveGod wrote:
berserkley wrote:

I was thinking that we should play Arkham Horror because I think Naz and I are doing it wrong because we keep winning.

You are SO doing it wrong! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
San Diego is pretty cool. Must check out the zoo, it's pretty fun and lots of great signs to take pictures of. Just don't buy the hype on the pandas. Lazy bitches just sit there sleeping all day. It's also close to Balboa Park which is nice.

Otherwise check out Sea World. I was thinking it would be a waste of our time, but the manatees are adoreable. Made it worth the price of admission right there. Disney avoid... it's tiny compared to the Florida one, but if you must go do the Indiana Jones ride and the Haunted Mansion, which are the highlights.

As for Arkham... my wife and I were playtesters... we can't ever play it without beating it now. If you are really good and the cards flip your way right... it's really not so hard. next time you punks get out of jail or the hospital quickly thank me. I was trapped in jail for half of the game because I couldn't roll a "6," which was the original release condition. As Cthulhu made mash of everyone during that playtest, I sat there getting snuggled by Arkham's finest. if you think it's hard NOW... then we all did your asses a few favors in playtest...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Pete, I grew up going to Disneyland. I went two or three times a year from when I was 2 to when I was 18. Not going would be like a Catholic skipping the Easter service. I love it there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.