Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Big Nate
United States
Lee's Summit
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm new to the board game scene, be gentle.

When I was a kid I had a copy of Heroquest and a couple of the expansions. I remember it being a fun time and I'm looking for suggestions for something currently in print with a similar style.

My wishlist:

fantasy setting
campaign rules
character/hero progression
equipment/armory
expandability both commercial and homebrew
nice miniatures
the furniture/set pieces in heroquest were fun
dice based combat
flexibility for the DM to facilitate fun over rules

After looking over the site I think Descent may be what I'm looking for. Are there any other good options with a little shorter play time per session?

Thanks for the help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Weed
United States
Clemmons
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Caste Ravenloft and/or Wrath of Ashardalon may be of interest to you also. Plus it's a direct D&D tie-in

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rost
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG!

It was Heroquest that brought me to the Geek as well. Here you will find lots of information for games that are similar.

I would suggest that you check this geeklist on the definitive dungeon crawl games

You will see a brief description to each game and some comments from users.

Sadly, many of my favorite campaign-style dungeon crawls are out of print: Heroquest, Advanced Heroquest, and Warhammer Quest. Warhammer Quest is the Holy Grail--keep a serious eye out for this game in case it ever comes within your grasp for a reasonable price. Like Don mentioned, Caste Ravenloft and Wrath of Ashardalon are two new games that might scratch that itch for you, although I believe only the latter has campaign options. If you do try Descent, know that it requires the Road to Legend expansion for campaign play.
I don't want to lead you too far astray, but, assuming you still have Heroquest, I have found that I can put those miniatures to use in other games such as Mordheim, a Games Workshop skirmish game that is free to print from their website. Also you might look at some print and play games such as Dungeon Plungin'.

Best of luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
How short? Descent is only long because the Quests are long. The Rescue, an introductory adventure, is less than two hours, and has less "fiddling with bits" time to boot. The Road to Legend expansion set breaks down Descent into a series of shorter games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome back to the hobby - we have been expecting you ninja

Recent games that are worth a look:

Claustrophobia might be worth a look it's a 2player game with some light RPG bits but it's quick and fun.

Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game will also be up your street, though I'm not a big fan.

Descent: Journeys in the Dark is a great deal more complicated than hero quest so do your research before you jump in.

If you have the cash getting a copy of Hero Quest/ expansions is not too difficult - so it's still an option albeit an expensive one... you sound like the sort of gamer who might have a job

Finally Scott Nicholson has made this video to bring you up to date about the developments in Dungeon Crawlers that have gone on while you have been away:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/video/3203/scott-nicholson/bgws...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Heroquest is the only place you're gonna get any cool 3D terrain pieces. They were genius, I can't believe they were never copied.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kamu
Mexico
Toluca
Estado de México
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Burnham wrote:
Heroquest is the only place you're gonna get any cool 3D terrain pieces. They were genius, I can't believe they were never copied.

Mage Knight Dungeons 3D. Crappy game, but it looks beyond awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bezio
United States
Lyndon Station
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played most of these (and I could give you reasons why I don't like some of them...but I rather keep it positive). IMHO the best choice right now is Descent (with Road to Legend). The primary reasons are:

1)Its Fun: After all, isn't that a good reason to get any game? People might have criticisms of the game, but I doubt if anyone who has played it didn’t have a good time with friends.

2)It's Available: You can buy it and the expansions online or find it in most game stores. This not only means it’s easy to get, it also means it easier to find people to play it with.

3)It’s Got Cool Miniatures: Weather you just like toys, or you like to take it a step further and enjoy the hobby of painting miniatures, Descent give you a lot of them to play with.

4)Replay Value: Even with the relatively high buy in, it doesn’t get dull fast.

5)Expansions: There are a number of expansions available, so if you want more, it’s already there.

6)Competitive: IMHO this is the main reason Descent shines. Most Dungeon Crawl games are cooperative. While I like this in a true role playing game, when I play a board game I want there to be a competition, a reason to play hard, and a winner and loser.

7)Tactical: Unlike a lot of dungeon crawl games that are simply move, kill monster, take treasure, descent actually has tactics involved, mostly because of the competitive aspect indicated in point 6, and the “complexity” of the game.

8)And Finally...it has everything you listed (other than the furniture), and maybe the "DM" thing, since it's competative.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.