Houserule Jay
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Really this is silly.

They don't add to the persons comments what-so-ever from what I have seen and thankfully I have not seen that many yet but it looks like an ugly trend ready to start and should be squashed before it gets out of control. To me its just put there to try and stand out which, well, I don't think I have to say it.

Honestly, have you thought about what the comments section is going to look like if we all start putting a little picture in our comments?

Don't you think thumbing through them at that point is going to be a royal pain?

Don't you think people are seeing pictures on the main page and if they really WANT to see them they will go there, the appropriate place, to look for them?

Please, for the sake of many and the usability of the Geek, could we keep these where they belong. They are often helpful and nice to look at in reviews but totally unneccessary in the comments section which is for, you know, comments.

I'm thinking the majority would feel the same here, though I have been wrong before.... Maybe a show of thumbs and/or comments and/or a poll
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmb
Link?
I mean, I haven't noticed this; a few examples might be useful.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I did that once:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/collection/items/boardgame/2952...

I don't see a problem at the moment, but I know what you mean. It can become a problem. On the other hand, if you want to point something out, it is a helpful tool - the image sections of some games are flooded with stupid pictures of every single miniature painted, every card shown, and pictures of "board after game turn 1" through "board after game turn 135". You don't browse through an image section if it contains > 50 images. At least, I don't.
meeple
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
I think he's referring to something like one of the comments on this page: Mansions of Madness

The comment in question is about the 24th one down on the page. I've noticed this, too. It seems that there's a trend for game comments to be used as a place to post (or re-post) a full review of the game (just saw one that would have been a good 10 pages long if printed). While the information is nice, there's an appropriate place for that -- the Reviews forum for the game.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmb
Thanks for the links.

PzVIE wrote:
If you want to point something out, it is a helpful tool - the image sections of some games are flooded with stupid pictures of every single miniature painted, every card shown, and pictures of "board after game turn 1" through "board after game turn 135". You don't browse through an image section if it contains > 50 images. At least, I don't.

Well, yes, but putting pics in the comments section isn't a solution, I think; before you know it, that section is flooded with 'stupid pictures of every single miniature painted [...] game turn 135".'.


Edit: with the two examples given, I would be in favour of a comments section with restricted room for each comment. Comments can be a bit more elaborate than a one or two word exclamation, but putting multi-page reviews in there is a bit ridiculous.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Whymme wrote:

Well, yes, but putting pics in the comments section isn't a solution, I think; before you know it, that section is flooded with 'stupid pictures of every single miniature painted [...] game turn 135".'.

I agree here - and I've removed the picture from my comment
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Houserule Jay
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Whymme wrote:
Thanks for the links.

PzVIE wrote:
If you want to point something out, it is a helpful tool - the image sections of some games are flooded with stupid pictures of every single miniature painted, every card shown, and pictures of "board after game turn 1" through "board after game turn 135". You don't browse through an image section if it contains > 50 images. At least, I don't.

Well, yes, but putting pics in the comments section isn't a solution, I think; before you know it, that section is flooded with 'stupid pictures of every single miniature painted [...] game turn 135".'.


Exactly, a link to a picture would be much more appropriate, since the comment section is tedious enough to thumb through at times as it is. Should we start posting a video review there too? Really. Maybe I'll starting putting a picture of Big Bird (yes Sesame Street Big Bird) in all my future comments, it will emphasize the point and be just as useful as the ones I have seen....

Whymme wrote:

Edit: with the two examples given, I would be in favour of a comments section with restricted room for each comment. Comments can be a bit more elaborate than a one or two word exclamation, but putting multi-page reviews in there is a bit ridiculous.


I'm certaintly guilty of having the odd comment run on just a little too long, but there are other certain people who are doing it regularily.

As the site continues to grow, I would be in favour of having a reasonably moderate word limit for the comment section. Long useful comments are great no doubt and I often strive for that myself while also shooting for quality over quantity but sometimes some of them are just going too far into review territory.

Really though the pictures take the cake more than anything

Edit - Here we go, found one, maybe we all need to insert one in our comments....


2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! So, instead of trying to fix the awful mess that the game galleries have become, someone now wishes to extend the mess to the comments section. yuk
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jayjonbeach wrote:

Edit - Here we go, found one, maybe we all need to insert one in our comments....



And of course, don't forget to copy the picture every time you quote the OP
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmb
jayjonbeach wrote:


Edit - Here we go, found one, maybe we all need to insert one in our comments....



Here's the Dutch variant:
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Whymme wrote:
jayjonbeach wrote:


Edit - Here we go, found one, maybe we all need to insert one in our comments....



Here's the Dutch variant:


What a beauty! Does it come in pink also?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Randy Weston - The Spirits of Our Ancestors
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We are all free to maintain our own GeekBuddy lists. Mine is extensive, I have over 400 GeekBuddies so don't need to look at the general comments that often and hadn't noticed this phenomenon. I've yet to run across images in the comments from any of my GeekBuddies, but if it happens, I'll have to consider removing that user from my GeekBuddy list (regretfully - if I didn't see that person's comments as valuable, I wouldn't have added them in the first place).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Montoya
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
PLAY MORE BOARDGAMES!
badge
“I am too old to die young, and too young to grow up.” ― Marty Feldman
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
PzVIE wrote:
Whymme wrote:
jayjonbeach wrote:


Edit - Here we go, found one, maybe we all need to insert one in our comments....



Here's the Dutch variant:


What a beauty! Does it come in pink also?


How about green for the Hispanic variant?


1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
Avatar
mb
This provokes a comment from me, and a question.

First, I'll admit that I didn't know about the general accessibility of comments. Call me unobservant, but when making self-notes (that's how I've always seen them) on my collection, I've often sadly reflect that no one will ever see them. (Now I sadly reflect that unless I score a game a 10, no one will probably ever see them. In my opinion, the default general comments view should display random comments; we should subsequently be able to filter comments by rating.)

After checking, yes, I see them after all—right there in front of me, where I wasn't looking, along with that can of tomatoes my wife asked me to get and the pair of pants she put in my drawer, where they belong.

I find this self-gratifying, but otherwise obnoxious. Until now, I've viewed my comments as my own—my personal reflections on my own games, for my benefit; and if people really want to find out what I think about a game, they can visit my profile and check to see what I think about that game.

I'm not best pleased by the thought that my comments now have (have always had) the potential to piss off everyone who is navigating a part of the site separate from my personal profile. For example, I don't want to feel (and certainly won't feel) inhibited as to the length of my comments, if they're pertinent and useful. I'd rather read a chunk of detailed comment on a game than a comment reading "Got this from Hertha." And yes, I realize my comments on Farmers are nowhere near the 10 pages previously referenced; but the point remains.

I'd like to feel free in how I annotate my games to myself. I've never been tempted to put a picture in my self-notes until tonight, when I listed this copy Tigris & Euphrates 2e so I could mark it for trade. I use my comment to note the condition of the game, for the benefit of would-be traders. And if I hadn't felt like I didn't want to take the trouble right tonight to include a few pictures demonstrating its condition to exactly illuminate traders, I'd have them there now.

I suppose I could use the Private Info column, but then my notes wouldn't be available to people who specifically wanted to see them; in particular, I'd have no way of describing a game for trade.

Some sort of 'visible only through my collection', or 'trade notes', column would be nice.

Second:
Sphere wrote:
We are all free to maintain our own GeekBuddy lists. Mine is extensive, I have over 400 GeekBuddies so don't need to look at the general comments that often and hadn't noticed this phenomenon. I've yet to run across images in the comments from any of my GeekBuddies, but if it happens, I'll have to consider removing that user from my GeekBuddy list (regretfully - if I didn't see that person's comments as valuable, I wouldn't have added them in the first place).

I'm unclear—what do GeekBuddy lists have to do with this? Is there a way by which to read only the comments of one's GeekBuddies?

What isthe purpose of GeekBuddies? I expected to see their posts highlighted for me, but no soap. Nothing changed. I expect there's a purpose to GeekBuddying, but to me it's always seemed a very for-my-own-notes sort of thing.

Of course, this is coming from someone who didn't know about personal galleries and wasted time trying to get stuff through GeekMod just so he could be able to post it.

[Edit: Damn BGG for being so modest. I assumed that since we get no editing controls, we can't format comments (and so wondered how people add pictures to begin with; for all my bluster, I'd have been reduced to adding links to pictures). I tried, and of course, yes, we can use usual BGGcode to add format elements. And I've done so, in order to include a picture in one of my comments in a way that I think exemplifies, as has been mentioned above, the uses of including pictures in comments.]
3 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
Avatar
mb
Yldarr wrote:
PzVIE wrote:
Whymme wrote:
jayjonbeach wrote:


Edit - Here we go, found one, maybe we all need to insert one in our comments....



Here's the Dutch variant:


What a beauty! Does it come in pink also?


How about green for the Hispanic variant?



A good page on international Sesame Street here, including
Turkish

and Spanish
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
HuginnGreiling wrote:
Some sort of 'visible only through my collection', or 'trade notes', column would be nice.

There is a "trade condition" field already. That might be a good place to have a picture.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
Avatar
mb
GSReis wrote:
HuginnGreiling wrote:
Some sort of 'visible only through my collection', or 'trade notes', column would be nice.

There is a "trade condition" field already. That might be a good place to have a picture.

Damn, damn, damn. I feel like an ass. I'm always discovering new BGG features that everyone else has known about for ages. I assumed that that column would simply let me set the 'condition' (acceptable, good, etc.) of an item, not actually write out a description of it.

Thanks. That's exactly what I wanted.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Houserule Jay
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
HuginnGreiling wrote:


[Edit: Damn BGG for being so modest. I assumed that since we get no editing controls, we can't format comments (and so wondered how people add pictures to begin with; for all my bluster, I'd have been reduced to adding links to pictures). I tried, and of course, yes, we can use usual BGGcode to add format elements. And I've done so, in order to include a picture in one of my comments in a way that I think exemplifies, as has been mentioned above, the uses of including pictures in comments.]


Not sure if you realised but that there went against the whole spirit of the thread helping to clutter up the comments section.

Clearly your picture is actually there for a good reason to help others but I what I would suggest as I did so further up the thread would be to post a LINK to the picture in the comments section instead of the actual picture.

Now if you clearly support cluttering up the comments section, well that is another matter...

Sphere wrote:
We are all free to maintain our own GeekBuddy lists. Mine is extensive, I have over 400 GeekBuddies so don't need to look at the general comments that often and hadn't noticed this phenomenon. I've yet to run across images in the comments from any of my GeekBuddies, but if it happens, I'll have to consider removing that user from my GeekBuddy list (regretfully - if I didn't see that person's comments as valuable, I wouldn't have added them in the first place).


Indeed GB's are immensly helpful and often save us the tedious task of going through the comment section in the first place.

Where I get stuck is when a game is new and you are too impatient to wait awhile to buy it for whatever reason. In this case, you almost have to go through the comments and this is when the issue at hand was noticed and has noticably increased.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mrs. Vickies CHIPS
Canada
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sadly there is still a person or two doing this, you can see it here in all it's ridiculousness currently 2nd top in the comment section:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/180263/7th-continent/rat...

Notice how completely irrelvant the pictures are, imagine what it would look like if every 2nd user did it.

This is once again THE FAULT OF BGG, they should omit the option to add pictures to this section, period.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.