Popular Tags: [View All]
Sam Yhanto
United States
Richardson
TX
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone. As you may have heard, Japan was hit by an 8.9 earthquake, bombarded with tsunamis, and currently are experiencing mechanical failures at some of their nuclear plants on top of everything else. As a result of the Japanese tsunami, Hawaii was also hit fairly hard.

Right now, my friends and I are praying for the people in both places, as well as anyone else significantly affected by the disasters, and will continue to do so for some time. I invite anyone else to join us during this time.

Also, if anyone knows how else we can help, we'd welcome the suggestions.

I do have a request though. I know not everyone here believes in prayer. But please don't turn this into a religious debate. I think this is just slightly beyond such trivialities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hawaii was hit hard?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rowse
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shelterbox is supplying aid to Japan already:

http://www.shelterbox.org/

Personally, I find life-saving action to be far preferable to prayer, which seems particularly odd in the aftermath of an act of God. But if praying helps compel people to contribute in measurable ways, then I guess it's a worthwhile thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Hawaii was hit hard?

Hawaii had some damage and at least one death.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Hawaii was hit hard?

Hawaii had some damage and at least one death.

So not hit hard then. So far the only reporting I have seen has mentioned the destruction of the Iron man arena (the humanity of it) and people being chased of beaches by the police. I have seen no reports of deaths. In fact as far as I can tell the only injury was actually caused during the clean up when a worker was knocked out. Apart from that there appears to have been no injuries or missing persons. Some dozen buildings (tops) have been damaged, and a boat sunk. My heart goes out to the people of Hawaii in this hour of severe inconvenience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich S
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
designer
mb
I'm in Japan now, thanks for your thoughts. There's a Christian preacher down the street who has the time of his life, screaming to us why these disasters are upon us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lotus dweller
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Mondainai wrote:
I'm in Japan now, thanks for your thoughts. There's a Christian preacher down the street who has the time of his life, screaming to us why these disasters are upon us.
What ethnicity is the preacher?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Japanese

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In times of enormous natural disaster my first impulse is always to donate to Medicins Sans Frontieres and it's never led me wrong; they are practically always among the first boots on the ground, as they were in this instance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mightygodking wrote:
In times of enormous natural disaster my first impulse is always to donate to Medicins Sans Frontieres and it's never led me wrong; they are practically always among the first boots on the ground, as they were in this instance.

I hate those French guys. I always donate to Doctors Without Borders instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is asking for prayer an automatic move to RSP now?

(This thread started in Chit Chat.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pinook wrote:
Mondainai wrote:
What ethnicity is the preacher?

What dioes that matter? A twat is a twat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Chad_Ellis wrote:
mightygodking wrote:

The English sucks even more. I'll PM you the bank account for a donation to Läkare Utan Gränser

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mondainai wrote:
Chad_Ellis wrote:
mightygodking wrote:

The English sucks even more. I'll PM you the bank account for a donation to Läkare Utan Gränser

Theres only two things I hate, intolerance and the Dutch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Yhanto
United States
Richardson
TX
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
With all due respect, I doubt the Japanese care whether help comes from the British, the French, or from anyone else, as long as the help does come.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Celtic Joker wrote:
quozl wrote:

How is prayer not a religious topic?

Is asking for prayer an automatic move to RSP?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
quozl wrote:

Are we certain about this?

It shows in my subscriptions as starting as an RSP thread, all participants are RSP regulars, and no one else typically moves threads (I didn't move it) and would normally comment in the thread if they did.

There are similar threads in Chit-Chat, the Japan forums, etc...I'm inclined to think this one started in RSP and is being confused for another, but if it definitely started in Chit-Chat I'd like to know for certain so I can ask around about how it ended up here.

Thanks.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought I had seen it in Chit Chat previously.

However, I do make mistakes.

But while you're here, Matthew, is it BGG policy to move all threads asking for prayer to RSP?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Potter
United States
Riverside
California
flag msg tools
quozl wrote:

But while you're here, Matthew, is it BGG policy to move all threads asking for prayer to RSP?

If not, it ought to be.

Sending prayers somewhere is beyond insulting. I'm sure that in the moments the wave was crashing down on thousands of peoples' heads, there was prayer enough, and more fervently, than the most religious person here is going to generate. It did not stop the water. The idea that some bit of chanting by those outside the blast zone is going to somehow magically make the waters recede because, I dunno, I guess the assumption is that we're more in sync with God and He listens to US, don't you know.
Gah. People who pray make my teeth ache.

Stop praying. Send money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
potterama wrote:
quozl wrote:

If not, it ought to be.

Sending prayers somewhere is beyond insulting. I'm sure that in the moments the wave was crashing down on thousands of peoples' heads, there was prayer enough, and more fervently, than the most religious person here is going to generate. It did not stop the water. The idea that some bit of chanting by those outside the blast zone is going to somehow magically make the waters recede because, I dunno, I guess the assumption is that we're more in sync with God and He listens to US, don't you know.
Gah. People who pray make my teeth ache.

Stop praying. Send money.

I have always loved the notion that god is more likely to help you if some begs on your behalf rather then his help being based on need. I wonder how many of those who pray will send more material aid or is it just a way to salve their conscience over no action.

It also appears that all this paraying has done sod all. The nuclear plant appears to about to blow up. 100,000's are being evacuated. I can only assume that your prayers were not genuine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Barrett
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Please consider donating money to the Red Cross.

I sent them $40.00, it's not a lot but every donation helps.

http://www.redcross.org/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Potter
United States
Riverside
California
flag msg tools
Helljin wrote:
Please consider donating money to the Red Cross.

I sent them $40.00, it's not a lot but every donation helps.

http://www.redcross.org/

$1,000 already sent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.