5 Posts

Mansions of Madness» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Replayability - can one ignore most of the clues. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
stephen biggs
England
flag msg tools
Not sure if this thread belongs in the strategy or rules ection. Depends on the answers it gets...???

Is there anything to prevent experienced players moving directly to the rooms which could contain "clue-1".?

e.g. in scenario-1 one there are only two possible locations for clue-1, Unless I've missed something in the rules. The quickest win is to explore both those rooms and ignore the rest of the mansion.
If there is no rule to prevent this (or make it in-efficient) then the games replayability is quite low.soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Goodrich
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Why can't more games have a handicapping mechanism?
badge
Becoming immortal!
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of the time the clues are blocked by locks - the 1st clue unlocks the 2nd, which unlocks the 3rd, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariano Rico
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It´s actually impossible to happen, since there is a very basic mechanic of introducing Specific Keys to open Specific Locks only that force you to go in order when looking for the clues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
The game design is essentially the same as a "third person shooter" video game like "Resident Evil" - i.e. find the clue that opens up the next bit of the map, where there will be another clue to the next section of the map, and so on. The final clue leads you to the end of level "Boss" (though not always).

Now that the mechanic is clear, I can see the community being able to come up with other scenarios quite easily - with home made clue and event cards naturally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David S.
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
V1 Rotate
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is quite random enough in setup that you could just not choose the "1" part of the story until the investigators get to that clue or something else states "reveal objective".

This is why I think the game has replayability. Sure, after playing it a few times you'll know the setups, but you will not know the objective until the final clue is found. The keeper could even pretend to do a different objective you'll recognize to throw you off, and then go for the true objective more subtly

This is how I play it solo, this way neither the keeper nor the investigators know the objective until told to do so. As the keeper I'll try my best to fulfill most of all 3 of the objectives as I can before its revealed and as the investigators I'll do my best to slow down all 3 while waiting for the finale to be revealed.

I find that even though its linear, its still random enough to be fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.