Sanders
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I noticed that the game is "recommended" for 2 players in the poll. , However, in the rating comments there are far more negative comments about 2 players than positive ones.

So my question for those who have tried the 2 player game, what is your opinion of it?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Fox
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Myself and the Mrs. play this with 2 and still enjoy it. I would compare it to Ticket to Ride USA with 2 players. Better with 3-4, but good with 2. I would say the sweet spot is 3.

edit: For clarification Railways of the world :card game's sweet spot is 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sanders
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the reply. Actually, we pretty much play TTR USA (and the other TTRs we own) exclusively 2 players - and really enjoy it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Fox
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, I think you will enjoy it. We think of it as a portable variation of T2R.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
Malta
Marsalforn
Gozo, Malta
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
We really enjoy it 2 player, but recently I've been thinking that maybe we should introduce a variant where we only allow up to 2 or 3 tracks to grow out of the central hub, to encourage more interaction between player routes. We've gotten to a stage where our games often end up like this

with each of us going off in different directions. But otherwise, fantastic little game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Ellis
United States
Aloha
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
Try a new game today :)
badge
Happy Gaming!
mbmbmbmbmb
As always, James & I encourage players to implement any house rules that they think will make the game more enjoyable.

FYI - I've played games that end up this way but I personally enjoy "mixing it up" with my opponent when I play 2-player as opposed to optimizing my own network. Games can be competitive from a score perspective either way but you might find that forcing the interaction is more interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rahdo wrote:
We really enjoy it 2 player, but recently I've been thinking that maybe we should introduce a variant where we only allow up to 2 or 3 tracks to grow out of the central hub, to encourage more interaction between player routes. We've gotten to a stage where our games often end up like this with each of us going off in different directions.

The amount of interaction in a two player game is largely going to depend on what approach you take to the game. Sure, you can ignore your opponent and build up your own independent rail network, focusing on delivering goods.

However another and possibly even stronger strategy is to build valuable links to your opponent's cities, thus stealing control of those cities for game-end points. It's true that you probably won't be delivering those goods, but you'll be depriving your opponent of points and gaining them for yourself, so it can be a very viable way of playing because in this way you'll often earn even more points than you might by delivering a good!

Try competing more strongly for city control in this way with your opponent, and you'll see how the interaction starts to increase significantly!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.