Popular Tags: [View All]
Gerald Katz
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mind Alliance/Intermediate/Optional

Sees Other Players’ Hands

You have the power of Knowledge. Before allies are invited in an encounter, you may use this power to look at the entire hand of one of the main players. If you are a main player, you may look at your opponent’s hand. You may not tell any other players what cards you see in a player’s hand using this power.

HISTORY: Springing forth on a triple star system subject to constant energy fluxes, the Mind thrives on shifting wave pulses, ultraviolet rays, and gamma-release explosions. Extreme sensitivity to potentialities has enabled it to view with wisdom (and some skepticism) the threats of its Cosmic competitors.

FLARE

All
Wild: Whenever another player draws a card from the deck, you may draw it instead, look at it, and then give it to him or her. You may not share this information with the other players.

Alliance
Super: When you aren’t a main player, using your power allows you to look at the hands of both main players.

Commentary: This is a resource power. Knowledge is everything. While knowing a player’s hand won’t tell you exactly how he’ll play his cards, you will know the possibilities and can plan accordingly. Keep in mind, hehe, that players could bluff you out by not playing their best cards for which you planned against. Still, it helps to know whether you can't win, can't lose, or it depends.

The Wild Flare phase I think is printed incorrectly. It says Alliance but should be All because players can get cards from the deck at any time, some phases more than others and Alliance is one of the lesser times.

Gerald Katz
Don’t forget to tip the Butler!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
If you could touch the alien sand and hear the cries of strange birds and watch them wheel in another sky, would that satisfy you?
mbmbmbmbmb
The few times that I've played as the Mind, I've noticed other players following my lead with alliances. Funny.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Katz
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
logopolys wrote:
The few times that I've played as the Mind, I've noticed other players following my lead with alliances. Funny.

That happens a lot. People think you know who will win.

Sometimes a player could win but only if he has allies, including Mind as main player after seeing his opponent's hand. If Mind does ask for allies, does he know he's going to lose and want to take others with him, or will he win provided he has allies with enough ships? Hmm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
hadsil wrote:
The Wild Flare phase I think is printed incorrectly. It says Alliance but should be All because players can get cards from the deck at any time, some phases more than others and Alliance is one of the lesser times.

That's right; both the prerequisite and the phase are wrong. It says Main Player Only and Alliance but should be (As Any Player) and (Any Phase).

The combination that's misprinted is highly unusual; the only other place it appears is on Wild Mite. Given how close in spelling "Mind" and "Mite" are, it's easy to see how such a mistake would happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Burns
United States
Troy
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hadsil wrote:

Commentary: This is a resource power. Knowledge is everything. While knowing a player’s hand won’t tell you exactly how he’ll play his cards, you will know the possibilities and can plan accordingly. Keep in mind, hehe, that players could bluff you out by not playing their best cards for which you planned against. Still, it helps to know whether you can't win, can't lose, or it depends.

Mind is definitely one of my Top Ten favorite powers of all time. I just love playing it, because knowledge is indeed power, if you can utilize it rightly. You may be able to not prevent something bad you see coming, but you can react appropriately, which is often half the battle. Another great thing about Mind is you get a great idea (if you're playing tactically) when to play Negotiates. It's great thematically as it rewards people who both know the game fairly and are actively engaging their short-term memory and their tactical facilities. This is a true "classic."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.