Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Henshaw
United States
East Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am getting into ACW miniatures. I have acquired quite a few 15mm models and I need to start basing and painting them.
I also bought a starters pack from Baccus with the Polemos: American Civil War rules for 6mm.
I also bought the brand new 3mm troops that came out.
I have a lot of Eagle game miniatures, which I believe are 28mm.
Now, the questions:

What rules do you use or recommend?

Different rules for different scales?

I am looking for operational scale. I would like to do the entire battle of Gettysburg some day.

I am also looking at regimental scale for smaller battles or parts of larger battles.

The larger sculpts I would like to use for small tactical battles 1:1 or slightly larger most likely skirmishing engagements.

I already have quite a small collection of rule books, but I'm not afraid of looking at ones I don't have.

I'm leaning towards the Polemas rules for the 6mm.

Johnny Reb 2nd edition I like what I see more so than III

Battles of the American Civil War: A Sourcebook for Volley & Bayonet looks okay for the large sweeping battles.

Regimental Fire and Fury looks interesting too.

Advance the Colors looks great for man to man tactical.

The more units of a certain scale on bases that work across rules would be good.

Enlighten this poor lost soul in the land of ACW miniatures!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
武士に二言無し
Italy
Caravaggio near Bergamo near Milano
Europe + Earth + Via Lactea
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Scott,

I have started my collection of 10mm miniatures with Fire & Fury rules (plus the two scenarios books), more then 2 years ago and I have played it several times.
It's simple but not simplistic and You can find a lot of good scenarios to play ... and a big, very big, scenario about Gettysburg!

In retrospect, I'd have to start with 6mm miniatures ... less space occupied, less work to paint every single soldier, less cost (!) and faster approach to play ... thing that in a vast land of wargames is absolutely important!

Good luck and wargaming.

F.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott G
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Several years ago we played a lot of Johnny Reb 2nd and really enjoyed it. I found the charge rules a bit confusing, but overall, highly recommended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Vasey
Scotland
Mortlake, London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fire & Fury
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottH wrote:
I am looking for operational scale. I would like to do the entire battle of Gettysburg some day.

I am also looking at regimental scale for smaller battles or parts of larger battles.

The larger sculpts I would like to use for small tactical battles 1:1 or slightly larger most likely skirmishing engagements.

I already have quite a small collection of rule books, but I'm not afraid of looking at ones I don't have.

For doing the big battles, I think you're on the right track with Volley and Bayonet. You can fight the big battles with a reasonable number of figures in an afternoon. Grand Armee is an adaptation of Volley and Bayonet for the Napoleonic era. There is an ACW adaptation being developed called "Bitter Angels". You can find it in the Grand Armee Yahoo group.

For smaller battles, Fire & Fury is a good choice.

Johnny Reb or Fire & Fury Regimental are good choices for regimental actions.

For skirmish, one rule set that sees a lot of action is Brother against Brother.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Hawkins
United States
Mooresville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fire and Fury (brigade level) and Regimental F and Fury use the same, or virtually the same, basing system. One great thing about the F and F games is the way they look on the table. Casualties are handled by removing stands vs cumbersome processes found in other games, and markers are easy enough to make (low ammo, disordered, etc) and do not detract from play or appearance. I'm still working on my minis (15mm). Very fun experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Zapped by the Wall-o-Text spell.
badge
"Drizzle, drazzle, drozzle, drome; time for this one to come home."
mbmbmbmbmb
And then, when you decide to also get into naval warfare, you can start with The Ironclads Series and add miniatures later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.