Subject: When exactly do you place your train? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Prizzi
United States
West Newton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
The rules say trains are placed at "the start of the game".

Is that:

-Immediately after load cards are dealt (all players at the same time? in turn order?

-Each player does so during the first of their "switchback"turns when they can only draw track?

-Each player does so at the start of their first "real turn" when they are allowed to move their train?

We've tried a couple of them. Advantage to the latter is that it gives people some time to formulate a plan instead of everyone staring at the map for a few minutes with nothing going on if you all place immediately after dealing cards. I'm curious what the "official" answer is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Mayer
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
prizziap wrote:

-Each player does so at the start of their first "real turn" when they are allowed to move their train?

I've always played with this one. Hope it's official.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe you may place it at the start of any turn. For example, if you dump cards at the start of the game, not only during the building rounds but after your opponents start moving, I believe you may wait to place your train until you know what load(s) you want to deliver.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Smith
United States
Jackson
MS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is interesting. We have always played it where you place your train at the beginning of your first turn of operations (after your first build turns). However, looking at both my first and third edition rules, this is not clear. As you say, the pieces are simply said to be placed at the beginning of the game.

I also checked my "general" Empire Builder series rules that came with Martian Rails. They maintain the same wording -- at the start of the game.

Given that there are situations where it would matter if you placed during your first build turn or not, I am surprised that it has been left so vaguely stated all of these years.

I suppose I could check the other version I have to see if they introduce any clearer wording.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Mayer
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I looked through the many different crayon rail game rules I have. They have various wordings, but it seems only Australia Rails spells things out, saying:

"At the end of your third building turn, place your train pawn in any city on the board."

Note: Australia has three building turns at the start, unlike Empire Builder's two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Foy
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
prizziap wrote:
The rules say trains are placed at "the start of the game".

[...]

This is the rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Foy
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
Eric Brosius wrote:
I believe you may place it at the start of any turn. For example, if you dump cards at the start of the game, not only during the building rounds but after your opponents start moving, I believe you may wait to place your train until you know what load(s) you want to deliver.

You can't dump your cards until you've made at least one delivery.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Mayer
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
BFoy wrote:
Eric Brosius wrote:

Pretty sure that you can. Where do you see this rule?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Carter
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's at the end of your last building turn, during the switchback start.

So...after you finish your second round of track, you can place your train on the board at any city you'd like (we used to play you have to start in a major city....not true). In this way, you can start with your first (and possibly 2nd) load in mind.

It's semantics really: it's no less or more advantageous to place the train at this point or when you start your first official operations round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Carter
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike Mayer wrote:
BFoy wrote:
Eric Brosius wrote:

You can dump your load cards at anytime....but you have to do it at the beginning of a turn...once done, turn completed. You can even do it during the first build phases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Foy
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
porkchopsisgood wrote:
Mike Mayer wrote:
BFoy wrote:
Eric Brosius wrote:

You can dump your load cards at anytime....but you have to do it at the beginning of a turn...once done, turn completed. You can even do it during the first build phases.

I looked up the rules online and in the new version you can dump cards the first turn. There is also an 'equal number of turns' rule. I can only assume those rules changed at some point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.