Neal Sofge
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
It's popular to bash this design (just take a look at the user comments). Oddly enough, I've found a perfect use for it: a stealth educational experience for my children.

Both of my offspring are young (age 4 and 7) and classic/animated Trek fans (thanks to my DVD collection) so they love this game for both the theme and the gameplay. The simplistic mechanics that so enrage the sophisticated Geek are perfect for budding little gamer minds, as is the minimal amount of strategic decisionmaking. The older one even puts up with my making her do all the math herself, while the younger one can usually make intelligent ship assignments based on the positions of the numbers on the cards despite his inability to read the stat names.

The kids will sit through a whole hour-long session of this thing, getting practice with addition, subtraction, reading, and a tiny bit of strategy. The first time we played I figured they'd quickly grow tired of it, but astoundingly Star Fleet Missions has become a staple of weekend leisure time here at Fat Messiah HQ.

P.S.: Carlos has started asking when he'll be old enough for Federation Commander: Romulan Border...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't buy this when it came out though I have enjoyed playing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Count
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
My son quickly got interested in Federation Commander: Klingon Border after we first played this as well.

Also I don't think it's a bad game. There is more strategy involved than just a game of War as some suggested in their comments, but like many card games like Gin Rummy, card counting, and paying attention to others plays can make a big difference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.