Ricijs Zaleskis
Germany
Lauter-Bernsbach
Sachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone
Recently I have started to get into the Warhammer Invasion LCG and I like it very much but something is missing for me and I need a LCG which has more depth and strategy and variety in the game itself, so, if I would ask, which of these 3 games is the best and offers a huge variety of mechanisms in the game.
Another thing bugging me, is that in warhammer you don't get all cards x3, but they fixed that after the 1st cycle if I am correct, correct?
I am a big card game fan, but spending too much money would take away the fun of the game for me, just like with Magic The Gathering, that was the reason I left it. So, WHAT ABOUT Call Of Cthulhu and Game Of Thrones, how much and what you need to buy to make a full list of cards, do you have to buy more then 1 extra card pack or all cards are included in 1 card pack?
Thank you for your answers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jokin VAILLANT
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

the model of distribution is exactly the same for Game of Thrones.

In the older Chapter Packs you get 1x10 + 3x10 cards, so you need to buy them three times to get a complete playset (but it is very rarely necessary to do so - you can build completely competitive decks with only 1x each).

The latest cycle (Brotherhood without banners) uses the new model of distribution : if you buy each CP once you have a full playset.

On top of that, you have got a Core Set, and Deluxe extensions, focused on a House, which feature 55x3 cards (or 55x2 for "Princes of the Sun").

I think that all 3 LCGs have the same "problem" with the 3x cards ; but it is fixed now, and we can't go back in time !

On to the game itself, I don't really know CoC or WI so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but it seems to me that A Game of Thrones is one of the most strategic card games that I have played, in part because of the basic mechanisms of the game, and in part because of the existence of Plots (a distinct deck of 7 cards, of which you choose one each turn, fixing the resources you get for the turn as well as having special effects).

Hope this helps.

Jokin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan D
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see you care about the card distribution, but afaik all had the same problem with the initial packs. As far as which might be deeper, I had a thread too a while ago and selected AGoT and never looked back.

It might not be everyone's cup of tea since I know some people to whom it just seemed "Meh" and the wanted to try Invasion, but to me it seemes like a good game. Not to mention I usually get 3 player at my place and having multiplayer that is rich and rewarding and not just tacked on helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you think that Warhammer:Invasion lacks depth, strategy, or variety...it's likely that you're just not deep enough into the game or that you're simply just not grasping the deeper strategies inherent in the game's design. It's plenty beefy in that regard.

And Call of Cthulu or Game of Thrones both use the same distribution model for their cards. Though ALL the LCGs now offer 3x per pack nowadays (they fixed that after the 1st cycle as you correctly surmised).

Good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly it's all about theme with these. I think they are all good games, but theme is what will push any of them over for you. I'm a bigger monster and Lovecraft fan, so I prefer COC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricijs Zaleskis
Germany
Lauter-Bernsbach
Sachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you everyone for your answers small tip from me and thumbs up, well, it seems that I still haven't made my decision What a suprise, isn't it? But it seems, that FFG are replacing the old ones, with the new ones,as you already mentioned.
After checking out FFG site, I saw that CoC asylum packs already are in 60 cards in each pack, which made me happy
Well, will wait for the new packs with all cards included if not, meh, will play with 1 card of each which also adds a very interesting feel to the game beeing that there is only 1 copy of that card which makes it unique
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Rust00 wrote:
Thank you everyone for your answers small tip from me and thumbs up, well, it seems that I still haven't made my decision What a suprise, isn't it? But it seems, that FFG are replacing the old ones, with the new ones,as you already mentioned.
After checking out FFG site, I saw that CoC asylum packs already are in 60 cards in each pack, which made me happy
Well, will wait for the new packs with all cards included if not, meh, will play with 1 card of each which also adds a very interesting feel to the game beeing that there is only 1 copy of that card which makes it unique

The first reprints of earlier AP for CoC with the new 3-card distribution are also shipping now with more to follow. CoC is the only LCG I play, since I like its theme. I might think about LotR, since I love co-ops, but I really can't afford to keep up with CoC. So I'll probably pass on LotR (or just buy two core sets).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The real beauty about LCG's is that you really DON'T need to go gonzo with the expansions. Usually the core sets and "large expansions" do the do well enough.

But for those of us who are completionists... yeaaahhh... that's why I got out of COC AGAIN... just couldn't keep up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
Moved to Recommendations
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.