Subject: What's a good singleplayer wargame? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Solitaire [+] [View All]
Bas Rade
Netherlands
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi all, I'm looking for a wargame that I can play alone.
It would be nice if it's a nice looking game, and set in somewhat modern times (WW2 and up). Any suggestions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mateusz Wilk
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Where There Is Discord: War in the South Atlantic
Steel Wolves: The German Submarine Campaign Against Allied Shipping – Vol 1 or its predecessor Silent War
Hornet Leader: Carrier Air Operations orPhantom Leader or RAF: The Battle of Britain 1940 if you prefer air warfare
Fields of Fire, if you're not afraid of the abysmal rulebook
D-Day at Omaha Beach

Those are the first which jump to my mind, I generally think that this is a fast-developing branch of wargaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helmut Apel
Germany
Darmstadt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Barbarossa Campaign

Just got this about 2 weeks ago, very nice Solitaire-Game with innovative mechanics.

Also check out other Solitaires from Victory Point Games like Nemo's War and We Must Tell the Emperor
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mateusz Wilk
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TylerDax wrote:

Also check out other Solitaires from Victory Point Games like Nemo's War and We Must Tell the Emperor

That is a very good point, I completely forgot about those. Actually, if you are not an experienced wargamer and are just taking the plunge to see if wargames are for you, the States of Siege series may be better for reasons of simplicity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
I could recommend Soviet Dawn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernest Schubert
United States
Polk Township
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Well, first off, do you want an actual solitare game or a two player that works well solitaire?

If you want a two player game that works solitare - then one suggestion is any game that has an 'active' or attacking player and one that has a more passive defending player. Alot of wargames fit this bill, I know. But certain situations really feature this situation. For instance - Battle of the Bulge games. The American is going to be reacting to the German attacks at the start of the game, so that makes it a little easier solitare - because you are changing from an offensive mind set to a defensive mind set with each turn. Another situation that's similar - Barbarossa Campaign. The Soviets are goint to be on the ropes in through the whole game, just struggling to stop the Germans... another good situation solitare. Some folks say that block games work solitare - especially if you take some time between turns - to forget what the enemy has set up. I would think that card based games are a little tough..particularly those that feature cards that are played during the enemy turn and are supposed to come as a surprise to the opponent. But I don't really play these games so I don't know. Battle Lore is the only card game that I own, and I don't think it would be very fun solitare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon thornton
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The best two-player-as-solitaire-games I think are those that have chit draw systems such as A Victory Lost , its system game A Victory Denied , or the World at War: Eisenbach Gap system . There is a lvel of uncertain with the chit draw system that adds some randomess without introducing cards or you having to forget what you had planned for one side whilst playing the other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon thornton
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dont forget Field Commander: Rommel and the other Field commander games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
wilk wrote:
Steel Wolves: The German Submarine Campaign Against Allied Shipping – Vol 1 or its predecessor Silent War
Hornet Leader: Carrier Air Operations orPhantom Leader or RAF: The Battle of Britain 1940 if you prefer air warfare
D-Day at Omaha Beach

Those are the first which jump to my mind, I generally think that this is a fast-developing branch of wargaming.

Completely agree with this! thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Fields of Fire
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/629958/fantastic-game-an...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Holen
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
TylerDax wrote:
Also check out other Solitaires from Victory Point Games ...
Another +1 to this. I've been enjoying Victory Point Games a lot. Feel free to checkout my GeekList - I've reviewed two games from VPG, and am new to wargaming.

You can find it Here

Also, as I had a similar question to yours, feel free to browse the recommendation thread - it can be found Here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
I generally prefer something big, with multiple intended players,
so that shifting gears may not be to the direct opponent of the
moment. Large periods of bookkeeping (in longer games), and a
good deal of randomness help provide that isolation of decisions.

Most of my top picks for these types of games are in a period
you're not looking in though. Advanced Third Reich does a good
job, I think, but I've only played it a handful of times.
Adding Empire of the Rising Sun pleases me, but the naval interactions
become more difficult solo - pretty much the same issue I had withWorld in Flames.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rexbinary
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
In Stereo
badge
I pwnz j00!
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out these two geeklists:

Solitaire War Games

Always alone... the definitive list of single player games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bas Rade
Netherlands
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for the help guys! I quite like the Falkland Wars one in the very first link and I'll look into it and several others, but I am going to be slightly more specific.

Any games that use actual miniatures instead of just tokens or counters? Being a videogamer mostly, boardgames offer a physical thing that a computer can't offer. I like holding a little soldier in my hand, instead of a token that says "soldier" and having to use my imagination.
If not, I might as well get any Hearts of Iron game on the PC so it can keep track of the tokens and map. I know it sounds weird, but I like touching stuff and having something nice to look at (stop that giggling right now).

I found Memoir '44, but it's 2 player only it seems. I'd like a game that was already designed with solo play in mind, and more players can just "hop in" if they know the rules ("Oh, you're being Allies? I'll take over the Axis for you"). Or failing that, more of a players versus the game system kind of thing, like Arkham Horror (in case anyone's played that).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mb
If you want something with the scope and complexity of HOI,
forget about minis. It's not as though the mini represents
what is going on particularly better than a chit, or pixals,
for a strategic game. They're great for tactical ones though -
but I'd consider staying away from boardgames for that, as the
quality of the minis and terrain is much less than what can
be achieved by a devoted minis gamer.

What I gain over a computer game, with boardgames is being
able to access the map, and any scale I like, wherever I wish,
without any interface getting in the way. Until that's resolved,
there will always be a place for board wargames, IMO. Until you've
experienced the difference, with something of significant size,
you simply won't know what you're missing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Cooley
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Me rocking out with my band, which you can hear at www.raindriver.com
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't give a complexity level, here are my suggestions:

Very Low: Soviet Dawn. The other States of Siege games are good, but this one has a nice low complexity level that will have you playing very quickly. If this seems too difficult, you might try Israeli Independence with the complexity level at a bare minimum. Note that these and The Barbarossa Campaign are all from Victory Point Games, which puts out high-end desktop-publishing style games (which aren't as "pretty" as you may want, but they are a lot of fun anyway).

Low: The Barbarossa Campaign. Very novel system with a lot going on, but very manageable. I would also recommend Hornet Leader or Phantom Leader as well if you are interested in modern or near-modern conflicts.

Medium: RAF. D-Day at Omaha Beach. Both John Butterfield designs and both excellent games. RAF has been "solved" to some extent by using non-historical tactics, but D-Day (if you aren't color-challenged) is one of my favorites.

High: Steel Wolves. The component "complexity" is insane, but there is a VASSAL module coming out soon to manage the War Mix issues. A beautiful production but expensive. I'd also include Labyrinth in this mix, even though the rules are not that onerous (but learning the flowchart that drives the Jihadist actions takes some time to internalize).

Very High: Fields of Fire. Rulebook is, IMHO, the worst set ever published, but if you can get past it the game is unique and a lot of fun. However, you'd better like a challenge to get that far. I've seen the second ed rules and I consider them to still be not ready for primetime in a few important categories (the publishers apparently thought all of the problems were in the meat of the game, but there are serious terminology inconsistencies and still no clear sense of how to fill in a mission log or use pyrotechnics). Rating is based on learning curve, not playing curve.

Hope that helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SuperBas wrote:
I like holding a little soldier in my hand

"Holding your little soldier" is the only way you're going to enjoy solo play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael connor
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dcooley wrote:
...Very High: Fields of Fire. Rulebook is, IMHO, the worst set ever published, but if you can get past it the game is unique and a lot of fun. However, you'd better like a challenge to get that far. I've seen the second ed rules and I consider them to still be not ready for primetime in a few important categories (the publishers apparently thought all of the problems were in the meat of the game, but there are serious terminology inconsistencies and still no clear sense of how to fill in a mission log or use pyrotechnics). Rating is based on learning curve, not playing curve.

Hope that helps.

And very, very high is Carrier and Tokyo Express. No other 'solo' games can match them in terms of quality and excitement of game-play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
so then I shall 'broach' with this 'riposte' and suggest Axis & Allies

This imagery of the BOARD contains plenty of "add-ons" that veterans shall no doubt recognize.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. I know some people will look at those photos and say, "YEAH, now that's wargaming". I respect that, but I look at those photos and I just want to run in the opposite direction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Arthur
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hungadunga wrote:
Wow. I know some people will look at those photos and say, "YEAH, now that's wargaming". I respect that, but I look at those photos and I just want to run in the opposite direction.

Sorry Grogs, but what he said...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
YOU 'philistines' & 'faddicts'! whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mb
ToddK wrote:
Atraxrobustus wrote:
Hungadunga wrote:

And what he said

Not to add to the repetition or anything....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea
Italy
Milan
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wilk wrote:
D-Day at Omaha Beach

I agree with this list and would add:

Ambush!
Battle Hymn
Labyrinth
Field Commander Alexander
Raid on St. Nazaire
Ranger
We Must Tell the Emperor
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Sutton
Australia
Moruya
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
calandale wrote:
ToddK wrote:
Atraxrobustus wrote:
Hungadunga wrote:

And what he said

Not to add to the repetition or anything....

Ditto...........
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.