Angry Augury
Japan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played a few games of BSG before and never with Pegasus, even though I have it, since each time we've been introducing new people to the game and concept.

However, since we've finally had our first successful game with more than 3 players, I decided to order Exodus as well. In our next game (whenever that may be) I intend to add Pegasus and Exodus elements into the game. What I'm wondering is what determines whether the overlay from Pegasus is used or not?

I know Exodus doesn't come with it so it's not necessary for that but it's obviously supposed to be used in Pegasus games. How many components of Pegasus do I have to include for the overlay to be a requirement? Is it if I use any aspect of Peg, it must be included? Even if it's just the characters and nothing more? Or is it added once you add more such as crisis/skill/Quorum cards, Cylon leaders, etc.?

I'm really curious as to how it fits in when combined with Exodus.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JD
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We always use the overlay; it's an improvement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Chav
United States
Taylorsville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ditto!

Although sometimes I miss the old human fleet... but the new one is better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tables
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Technically, if using the Cylon overlay you should use all the base Pegasus Components: Battlestar Pegasus, Treachery Cards, new Skill Cards, Crisis, Quorum, Destination cards etc. and new characters, and anything else I've forgotten.

But you're free to use it however you want - it won't really affect the balance of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I Eat Tables wrote:
Technically, if using the Cylon overlay you should use all the base Pegasus Components: Battlestar Pegasus, Treachery Cards, new Skill Cards, Crisis, Quorum, Destination cards etc. and new characters, and anything else I've forgotten.

But you're free to use it however you want - it won't really affect the balance of the game.
Agreed. The Pegasus rulebook states that the only things that are optional about that expansion are Cylon Leaders and New Caprica. Otherwise, everything has to be made available (players should be free to choose a character from Pegasus, but aren't required to if they don't want to). If you want to mix and match to form your own house rules/variants, feel free to.

Note that the Exodus rulebook (page 9) overrides certain rules from the base game. You may have noticed that these "overrides" came from Pegasus...

Quote:
Revealed Cylon Players
The following changes apply to a revealed Cylon player’s turn.
• Draw Skills Step: A Cylon player may draw 2 Skill Cards
of any type. However, each Skill Card must come from
a different skill type. In other words, a Cylon player may
not draw more than 1 Skill Card from any single Skill deck
during his Draw Skills step.
• Prepare for Jump Step (if necessary): This step is no
longer skipped on Cylon turns. For example, if a Cylon
player activates the “Caprica” location and chooses
a Crisis Card that has a “prepare for jump” icon on
it, the fleet marker advances one space up the Jump
Preparation track (after resolving the Crisis Card). Note
that this is a change to the text printed on the “Caprica”
Cylon location. Do not skip the Prepare for Jump step
when using this location.

I don't think it matters either way for Exodus, so long as you do NOT skip the prepare for jump icon. If nothing else, revealed cylon players may become more obsessed with the Basestar Bridge location. Personally, being a purist, I like to know that Human Fleet correspond to the appropriate expansion. If using the Pegasus overlay in a non-Pegasus game, of course you can disregard the part about infiltrating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.
mbmbmbmbmb
I always use the overlay. If you don't, then it really sucks to be a double-Cylon.

I also like the revamped Human Fleet. I like to go there if both the following are true: 1) I got executed and need to build my hand, 2) Stopping a distance-3 is high on my priority list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
flag msg tools
There’s a section of the Exodus rulebook that explains how to integrate Pegasus — notably, you must use Pegasus’s rules in that revealing Cylons will pass on other loyalty cards, and there’s one Destination Card to take out (the one that brings out Scar).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.