Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alton Hickman has the text "In Play: This card cannot be blocked"

Vulko has the text. "In Play: This card blocks damage inflicted on you."

The same exact wording is also on "Bad Smoke"

I believe that Vulko, and "Bad Smoke" do not "block" in the sense of any other minion blocking an attacking minion. I believe that both Vulko, and "Bad Smoke" just receive the damage instead of the player by default. The double meaning on block though reads that Vulko, and "Bad Smoke" would NOT be able to take the damage in place of the player. We ended up playing it that they would still take the damage on behalf of the player. I hope the wording is changed to make it more clear, cause as it stands it's a contradiction in the rules.

What is the official ruling on that scenario?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Bolme
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blocking, when used without other modifers, means blocking a minion.

No minion can be assigned to block Alton Hickman. (Yes, it would have been betetr if we'd written, "Minions cannot be assigned to block this minion when he attacks.")

Blocking damage means the creature intercepts and suffers from damage that would otherwise turn into wounds on you. See page 13, top paragraph, "Blocking Direct Damage," which specifically calls out damage that gets past blocking minions (including zero blocking minions).

Thus Alton Hickman attacks, and cannot be blocked. He damages you. Vulko and Bad Smoke block that direct damage on you before it turns into wounds.

Hope this clears things up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gregg
United States
Franklinville
NC
flag msg tools
designer
NightfallGame.com/FAQ
badge
boardgamegeek.com/thread/1234645
mbmbmbmbmb
Vulko and "Bad Smoke" cannot block the attack of Alton. So Alto damages the player. It is this damage that Vulko / "Bad Smoke" block. Note: Vulko / "Bad Smoke" must block player damage if able, it is not an optional effect.

bah, just beat me Ed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Bolme
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
s3rvant wrote:
bah, just beat me Ed

Happily. Let me get my stick. arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Carvalho
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
I dwell in possibility
badge
Forever is composed of nows
mbmb

Game seems fun but I’m going to have to wait until another print run. Knowing my group wording becomes open to interpretation and then mix some alcohol and thus ends game night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dekz Ter
msg tools
s3rvant wrote:
Vulko and "Bad Smoke" cannot block the attack of Alton. So Alto damages the player. It is this damage that Vulko / "Bad Smoke" block. Note: Vulko / "Bad Smoke" must block player damage if able, it is not an optional effect.

bah, just beat me Ed

Are there plans to change the wording of Bad Smoke / Vulko?

Using the same word ("block") to mean two completely different things is pure folly. Perhaps "absorb" or something similar would be better?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Bolme
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We had a lengthy discussion about it. The thought was to avoid intriducing another keyword that would only be used on two cards, especially since the key elements of blocking a minion and blocking damage worked teh same way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
edbolme wrote:
We had a lengthy discussion about it. The thought was to avoid intriducing another keyword that would only be used on two cards, especially since the key elements of blocking a minion and blocking damage worked the same way.

Tough choice. As a reader of the card, I would have definitely preferred another keyword. Our first time through we didn't play Vulko or Bad Smoke correctly. Our interpretation was "the damage vanishes". I had even read the rules twice before the game. But now, re-reading the direct damage section I get it. It was just easy to misplay because we didn't know where to look it up.

And it could have been useful to add "must" to the card as well.

Great and interesting game though. Look forward to further plays.

edit: admittedly we rushed as it was our first game of it and it was during our lunch hour at work (and 5 player). Sure, it's not the best way to first play a game, but in a way it was for the best so we could play a practice/learning game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.