Dale C.
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Basic rules clarifications that came up during our group's first attempt:

1.) Are the 5 actions available all optional or mandatory? (must you explore every turn?)

2.) The rules only show playing ammunition cards when exploring, so can you only play ammunition when preparing to fight? (Thus only have money to buy with only after exploring except for a few action cards)

3.) If a player dies, is the game over or do the remaining players continue until there is a winner?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Optional (you only have to explore if an ability is played which says you must, in the base game this is only on one character who can selected another character and make them explore)
2) You may play ammo when exploring or when purchasing. Any ammo you play lasts the entire turn and counts for both exploring (powering guns) and buying (gold)
3) If a player dies, normally he is not eliminated. If you are playing story mode, he shuffles all cards he owns (except decorations) and if it was his turn, his turn ends immediately. On his next turn, he does nothing except to draw 5 cards and reset his health to 20 less than his previous maximum (which now becomes his new maximum). A player is only eliminated if he dies when his current maximum health is 20 or less. In that case, return all his cards to the supply (except Rocket Launcher and Gatling Gun... shuffle their tokens back into the Mansion) and the other players continue. Unless I remember incorrectly, an eliminated player can still win if his decoration total before he death was enough.
Mercenary Mode and Vs mode have slightly different rules, check the rulebook for what happens to death in those cases, or someone who has played them more than I have can comment -- I don't want to get the rules wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale C.
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Sachan
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
omg! that certainly makes more sense. We died five times and quit the game because we thought you had to explore every time. Where exactly does it say exploring is optional? The way i read it you had five 'motions' you took each turn. Perhaps we will try it again sometime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Blank
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Quick question. Does ammo you draw count towards all weapons you are playing or just one single weapon...... ex( my 5 cards i drew are 2 six shooters and 3 x 30 ammo's and im playing both magnums is the req 50 or 100 ammo .two play both

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cox
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You would need 100 ammo to use both weapons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chaplin
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Ice-choked tower, Mondavia, Nanglangka.
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
What if I have an extra explore action - do the weapons need twice the ammo, or can the same ammo be used for both explore actions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Exploring multiple times:

Before your first explore, play all weapons you wish to play and all ammo you need for them. Unused ammo (like if you played 30 and needed 20) carries forward. Unused weapons can be played prior to your second explore.

Reveal the top card of the mansion. If it's an infected and you lose to it, you're done (AFAIK you can't keep exploring if you lose, and you would rarely want to). Else if you beat it, you have a choice to make:

LOCK & (RE)LOAD -- add the infected to your decorations pile. You will need to play new weapons (and ammo, but your leftover ammo from before does count) before your next explore. Whether you win or lose the second explore, the first infected is yours to keep. Leftover damage does not count, so if you used your Rocket Launcher to kill a Male Zombie, that's just bad luck. If you want leftover damage to carry forward, try the next option.

DOUBLE OR NOTHING -- add the next mansion card to the current battle. Your total damage must be enough to defeat both, or you lose to both (taking damage from both), even if you had enough damage to beat one or the other. You do NOT need additional weapons (although you should be able to play them, I don't see any reason not to allow this).

This is not really in the rulebook, you have to dig on the forums to find this explained, and they'll use the terms exploring separately/sequentially or exploring together/simultaneously. Basically, if you want to treat each explore separately, you can score infected as you kill them, but you need new weapons. If you want to play a bunch of weapons and total up the damage and compare that total to a group of infected's health total, you can use what I call DOUBLE OR NOTHING, which is riskier, but has the potential for better payout, especially if your first explore revealed a low-health infected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chaplin
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Ice-choked tower, Mondavia, Nanglangka.
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Carl.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LIVE NOW ON KICKSTARTER!!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
InfoCynic wrote:
AFAIK you can't keep exploring if you lose, and you would rarely want to

I would've thought so too, but apparently according to the FAQ...

http://www.bandaicg.com/residentevil/forum/showthread.php?27...

... you can milk the deck for tokens after you've been beaten up:

Quote:
If I have Multiple Explores and I cannot defeat the infected reveled, can I use the rest of my Explores first before doing the damage?
-Yes, you may keep exploring as long as you have explores left; However, you will still have to face all of the damage, and potential penalties for all infecteds revealed.

There're some other counter-intuitive answers in there too, so it's worth a quick read - even if you end up just ignoring it anyway...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the FAQ is... a piece of work.

As I read that, you can't use "Lock & Load" if you lose. I guess you can keep going for combined explores fishing for tokens or using benefits that trigger each time you explore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course with Alliance and its Laser tracking device, you could actually explore with 0 damage but multiple explores (forced on you perhaps) and wind up killing Wesker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yugblad wrote:
Thanks, Carl.

Hey, dude - RE's 'laying down fire-power as a resource' system always reminds me of your Aliens game. Great work on that, btw - looking forward to its new iteration... cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Knutson
United States
Alexandria
VA - Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume that both the 'lock and (re)load' and the 'double or nothing' option apply only if you have an extra explore on that turn, e.g. you have used a shotgun?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.