Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
badge
Meep. Meep. Meep.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's called Ascension: Return of the Fallen, and there's an article/press release about it over on ICv2.

The details are it's 65 cards (sounds like all go to the center deck) and is playable as a 2 player game or can be added to the existing base game to allow it to handle up to 6 players. It also adds a new mechanic called Fate. The MSRP is $29.99.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Stout
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great news*! Look forward to hearing/seeing more.

* Except for the price. $30 for a 65-card expansion doesn't feel right.
(Edit: it's pointed out below that there are also 2 starter decks and extra Mystic and Heavy Infantry cards. That's much more like it.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hulgan
United States
Tucker
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does $30 sound expensive to anyone else???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunther Schmidl
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
matthulgan wrote:

Yes, the poster right above you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gschmidl wrote:
matthulgan wrote:

And me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Stivers
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
$30 sounds great to me. This game is played more than any other game we have in our group. It's fast to set up and take down. Plays well 2-4. Easy to teach, but difficult to master.

Would I like it to be less.... Sure, but the difference between $30 or $20 for this game makes not difference.

Now if the price point was $40 for 65 cards then we might have to think about where and when to get the best deal.

I bet most of BBG gamers don't buy games a full price anyway. With all the discounts out there online.

Can't wait for this one!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BillStivers wrote:

I bet most of BBG gamers don't buy games a full price anyway. With all the discounts out there online.

Ya, that's a good point come to think of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Fullenwider
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
I'm not a moccodity!
mbmbmbmbmb
Does the 65 card count include the starting hands (2 x 10), and if this can be used as a standalone game, are there extra Mystic and Heavy Infantry cards for the side decks (and potentially a Cultist or equivalent)? If so, that's not going to be bringing many new cards to the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Stivers
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maelic001 wrote:
Does the 65 card count include the starting hands (2 x 10), and if this can be used as a standalone game, are there extra Militia and Apprentice cards for the side decks (and potentially a Cultist or equivalent)? If so, that's not going to be bringing many new cards to the table.

I think that it would come with 2 sets of starting hands (Stand alone for two player) becuase it also can be added to the original portal deck to allow for up to 6 players.

I am interested in the new mechanic "Fate". Anyone know what it does?

Does the game come with new counters for honor?

This is exciting!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan O'Connor
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
maelic001 wrote:
Does the 65 card count include the starting hands (2 x 10), and if this can be used as a standalone game, are there extra Militia and Apprentice cards for the side decks (and potentially a Cultist or equivalent)? If so, that's not going to be bringing many new cards to the table.

No, the 65 cards mentioned are just the center deck cards, not the two starting decks and additional mystics and heavy infantry that are included.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ryno106 wrote:
maelic001 wrote:

No, the 65 cards mentioned are just the center deck cards, not the two starting decks and additional mystics and heavy infantry that are included.

Are there less mystics and infantry than came with the base set, and do you combine the mystics and infantry with the base set for the 5 and 6 player game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds great!

I don't play dominion, but this is the same price as those small expansions. It's only five bucks more than the msrps for all the RFTG expansions I've bought.

I think I'll live with the price!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Shaw
United States
Kennesaw
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So there are 145 cards total in the Fallen? Also, why no mention of the new product on your home site?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Leath
United States
OH
flag msg tools
badge
fyeahgamesandgrub.tumblr.com
mbmbmbmbmb
BillStivers wrote:
[q="maelic001"] I am interested in the new mechanic "Fate". Anyone know what it does?

Fate is a Comes Into Play ability. Said ability takes effect when the card is placed in the center row rather than played from your hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Stivers
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whisperhand wrote:
BillStivers wrote:
[q="maelic001"] I am interested in the new mechanic "Fate". Anyone know what it does?

Fate is a Comes Into Play ability. Said ability takes effect when the card is placed in the center row rather than played from your hand.

So, "Fate" triggers when the cards are flipped from portal deck to the center row, then do said "fate" effect.

Pretty cool!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hulgan
United States
Tucker
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gschmidl wrote:
matthulgan wrote:

Sorry- I read the post on my iphone so the text at the bottom of his post was microscopic.

I enjoy Ascension and the fact that this is a stand-alone game and an expansion helps me adjust the value in my head.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Kirkham
United States
Graham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ryno106 wrote:
maelic001 wrote:

So were actually going to get about 90+ cards..price no longer is that bad...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James 3
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Would be pretty cool if the basic cards had new art from the base set, similar to what Thunderstone did for it's basic cards in Dragonspire, so that those other 55 non-center deck cards felt relevant. I don't use all the Mystics and Heavy Infantry I have as is, and I really don't see me ever playing this with 5-6 players, as I vastly prefer this as a 2 or 3 player game to 4 player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
flamejuggler wrote:
Would be pretty cool if the basic cards had new art from the base set, similar to what Thunderstone did for it's basic cards in Dragonspire, so that those other 55 non-center deck cards felt relevant. I don't use all the Mystics and Heavy Infantry I have as is, and I really don't see me ever playing this with 5-6 players, as I vastly prefer this as a 2 or 3 player game to 4 player.

I don't know if they are doing new art, but I think one of the devs stated that there will be some sort of icon or banner type of thing signifying the cards are from a different set.

A new Cultist would be cool though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James 3
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fate triggers sound like they will inject alot of turnabout into the game, and sounds alot like the gameplay of the RatKing, the BGG promo. Would they template his "put giant rats on all other center row cards" effect as a "fate" ability if they reprinted him in this set?

fate effects id like to see: flush the center row, remove all militia and apprentices in discard piles from the game, everyone draw, everyone search/reveal deck for construct and put into play, everyone return a small bit of honor to pool...hmmm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Castelli
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
matthulgan wrote:

*waves his hands*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Iradian
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It's cool if it's stand alone but we are getting way less cards than usual for the same price.

Definitely going to be bargain hunting for this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Leath
United States
OH
flag msg tools
badge
fyeahgamesandgrub.tumblr.com
mbmbmbmbmb
If anyone hasn't seen the playtest cards (teasers) that Kibler posted on his twitter account:

http://yfrog.com/hsh2ycaj

--and--

http://yfrog.com/h7sscjhj

I'm guessing the "Werewolf" will have a fate effect that will be dependent on how many monsters are in the center row. He may also be directly interactive with Runic Lycanthrope since Gary hinted that the Lifebound faction was getting more card to card interaction.

No idea what the Soul Devourer may do. Perhaps 6 honor as a reward with the drawback of making you discard a hero? Would work well as a cohort to Xeron.

The next Game Day was also announced for April 8-10th. The promo card is something called "Deep Drone," though it hasn't been spoiled to my knowledge. I'm kinda hoping it's a 2 Runes for 2 Honor construct (as that's the only cost the Mechana are missing) that can be banished to tutor up another construct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan O'Connor
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whisperhand wrote:
If anyone hasn't seen the playtest cards (teasers) that Kibler posted on his twitter account:

http://yfrog.com/hsh2ycaj

--and--

http://yfrog.com/h7sscjhj

I'm guessing the "Werewolf" will have a fate effect that will be dependent on how many monsters are in the center row. He may also be directly interactive with Runic Lycanthrope since Gary hinted that the Lifebound faction was getting more card to card interaction.

No idea what the Soul Devourer may do. Perhaps 6 honor as a reward with the drawback of making you discard a hero? Would work well as a cohort to Xeron.

The next Game Day was also announced for April 8-10th. The promo card is something called "Deep Drone," though it hasn't been spoiled to my knowledge. I'm kinda hoping it's a 2 Runes for 2 Honor construct (as that's the only cost the Mechana are missing) that can be banished to tutor up another construct.

Actually, those playtest cards are for the NEXT expansion ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.