Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
aka Uncle
badge
小富靠勤,中富靠智,大富靠德。
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of our Agricola games are 2 player games. I had the rare opportunity of playing two 5-player games on the Sunday just past. The following question came up.

The 4+ occupation Weaver says:

"Whenever you have at least 2 Sheep at the start of the Work phase, you receive 1 food."

Does "Work phase" mean every round or every stage? We had a long discussion on this, were still not sure, and played it as every stage in the end.

I just checked v9.0 of the compendium and it says this:

"Whenever you have at least 2 sheep at the start of the work phase of a round, you receive 1 food."

That suggests every round.

I am therefore seeking clarification of the meaning of "Work phase" here.

Thank you in advance!

P.S. I was the player with the Weaver, and had to forage for food for much of that game. gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Young
United States
Sterling
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I am sorry to have to let you know the good news.

The work phase is the part of each round that you place your workers/family members on the board to take actions (as opposed to the part of the round when you add resources to the board, or the part of the round when you return your family members home (that's the returning home phase)).

So, yeah, you would effectively activate the Weaver at the start of each round.

I have no idea why they sometimes use work phase when round would have worked just fine and been clearer (in my opinion).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Norman
United Kingdom
Trowbridge
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Buggy wrote:
I have no idea why they sometimes use work phase when round would have worked just fine and been clearer (in my opinion).

Isn't it because some cards do things at the start of the round that require food (e.g. place fields on three rounds, at the start of the round you can pay 1 food to place the field).

Getting food at the start of the Work Phase is too late to pay for the above field.

David.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Young
United States
Sterling
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DavidNorman99 wrote:
Buggy wrote:

Isn't it because some cards do things at the start of the round that require food (e.g. place fields on three rounds, at the start of the round you can pay 1 food to place the field).

Getting food at the start of the Work Phase is too late to pay for the above field.

I suppose, but I'm not sure the complexity is worth the complexity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.