Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Rollings
United Kingdom
Peterborough
Cambs
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We play a lot of 2 player T2R. When playing the original I would use blocking as a regular tactic. If you can prevent your opponent from completing their Seatle to Montreal card that's a massive point reduction for them at the end of the game. With the stations in T2R2 there just isn't any point in doing this. If I know that my opponent's long route is Brest to Petrograd and try to block him he can just play a station, so why bother? Therefore there is much less player interaction and more two people just doing their own thing.

I think the rules should have provided for less stations for fewer players. Maybe no stations in a 2 player game, 1 in a 3 player, 2 in 4 player and all 3 in a 5 player game.

There's just no chance to be evil zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
Re:No point in blocking
There's just no chance to be evil

Sure, there is -- a slightly modified form of evil, mind you, but evil all the same. If you block an opponent and force them to use a station, not only do you steal points from them (4 for the station), you also steal points from them for the route itself as well as the card (or cards) they must toss to place the station. Not quite the same as in TtR, but still curse-worthy...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Bridge
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
markrollings (#480894),

Isn't the obvious way to stop this just placing your own station in the city and/or cities your opponents need?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Biggar
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ebridge (#481340),

Except to block a player out of a route completely, you must claim both ends with your stations which is usually a waste of
points unless you also need both of those stations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon Appelcline
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blocking also usually prevents a player from competing in the longest-route competition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark sellmeyer
United States
st louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
on top of the loss of points for the station & cards lost to play the station the turn you waste to play it could make a difference when the score is tallied.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
somebody playing a station costs them a turn a card and 4 points, but unless you needed the route it cost you a turn and 2 cards. a big difference though is that you spend trains and they don't...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McCoy
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that forcing someone to use a station is a pretty significant thing. Not only are you making someone play cards and lose points, but you're forcing them to use up a turn in which they could well have been gaining points. Players who are forced to use stations are probably not going to get as many trains onto the board as players who do not have to use up a turn getting the station into play. Throw in the fact that the link the station gains you does not count towards longest route and you could be costing someone much more than the nominal 4 points that a station is worth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"You can spend all your time making money / Or you can spend all your love making time."
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree - blocking just doesn't seem to be worth it. I really think this is a great game, but the more I play it, the less I like it. It always seems to work better if you just concentrate on your own routes instead of trying to screw up another player. First of all, there are just too many alternative routes the player can take, and secondly, the stations make it easy to overcome a blockage. Sure, it's 4 points, but that's nothing compared to the penalty for not completing a long route. Also, if you go and try and block another player, you're using up a turn and possibly wasting cards you could have used on your own route.

The only time I even consider blocking is if it's near the end of the game, and the race for longest train is close.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to increase the blocking aspect of T2R:E, increase the point value of unplayed stations. Try doubling their value to 8 points each, and see if that adds the desired amount of agony to the decision of building a station.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Weaver
United Kingdom
Boldon
Lancs
flag msg tools
If you've got a "7" route, the difference between claiming it and not claiming it is 14 points (10 after the station is taken into account). If you've got a "5" and a "12" which need a station to complete, you're looking at losing 34 points minues 4 for the station. Dropping a station in place makes your final score 110 instead of 80, saving some grace at least.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.