Valor & Victory» Forums » General

Subject: Using ASL stuff for V&V rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eduardo
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok guys, I´ve been trying to get back to ASL, but it´s proving to be impossible to play it and still play other games. It takes too much time, space, too many table, too many exceptions...

I still LOVE the game, but I cant see me putting the effort to re-learn all the rules (and be able to play without having to stop every minute to check something) in the near future.

I read the rules of V&V and liked a lot what I saw.

My dilemma is: What do I DO with my ASL stuff?

Does anyone has an easy conversion/idea so I can use my ASL counters and maps with V&V?

Thanks a lot,
Eduardo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Useing ASL stuff for V&V
Eduardoh wrote:

Quick, sell it all to me, cheap. With, erm, free intercontinental shipping. Yeah, that's it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Shaw
United States
Kennesaw
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Others with much more extensive ASL experience will probably chime in (I wouldn't touch that stuff if you had a gun to my head) but here goes...

The maps you may be able to use straight up along with the scenarios (I know of one guy at least who's working on porting ASL scenarios to V&V as we speak).

The counters are more problematic. I just don't see a good use for them in V&V, certainly not in place of the actual counters for V&V. Of course you can always substitute and keep a written reference of what is what but that's cumbersome.

The best solution may be to simply sell off your ASL stuff and use the proceeds to hire someone to make you a copy of V&V (like Andrew Tullsen of Print and Play Productions). cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Doyle
United States
Lynchburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Eduardoh wrote:
Ok guys, I´ve been trying to get back to ASL, but it´s proving to be impossible to play it and still play other games. It takes too much time, space, too many table, too many exceptions...

I still LOVE the game, but I cant see me putting the effort to re-learn all the rules (and be able to play without having to stop every minute to check something) in the near future.

I read the rules of V&V and liked a lot what I saw.

Does anyone has an easy conversion/idea so I can use my ASL counters and maps with V&V?

Thanks a lot,
Eduardo

I wouldn't give up your ASL stuff, Eduardo, if you like it -- it's great to have, and may be hard to find or replace if you sell it and decide you want it back.

You should check out Retro: Tactical WWII Wargame Variant Rules, a simpler set of rules to use with your existing ASL modules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eduardo
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright, thanks for the replies.

Let´s get things straight: I wont sell my ASL stuff, it took to much time/money to get, and I intend to use it someday.

Converting and keeping a reference by side is one option, but I was thinking of maybe doing it with Vehicles and Guns only. Infantry I want to use the counters as is.

Looking at Retro, it doesn´t seem quite like what I want. If I´d go that route, then I´ll use ASL SK. But thanks for mentioning it.

Seem like I´m gonna have to make my own conversions....starting tonight!

If I get to something interesting, i´ll let you guys know.

Thanks again,
Eduardo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Great War Commander, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander Europe, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Combat Commander Pacific
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been years and years since I had anything to do with ASL but I think the maps, as Randall said, could go straight into V&V. I looked at my collection of maps for Combat Commander series the other day and realized that without any changes at all, they're perfectly usable in V&V games. ASL counters etc not so much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stuart
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm about to try an Advanced Tobruk System game (Parker's Crossroads) using V&V rules (with my 'revision 1' assault rules), with a straight conversion of ATS infantry, vehicles (pretty much) & guns (pretty much) to V&V infantry, vehicles & guns. I would think something similar could be done with all your ASL scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.