Gregg Lewis
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been working through a production schedule (of sorts), trying to focus/prioritize what I want to work on next for Outrider.

I have put up the Outrider Bolt-Ons Page as a sort of list of what to expect. Right now most of the links are greyed out, but hopefully I can work hard in 2011 and make most of them live (fingers crossed).

In the meantime, though, you can look through the content and see what's planned for Outrider. It includes futrure expansions for rules, vehicles, auxiliary equipment and senarios/terrain.

check it out and let me know what you think.

-G
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Austin
Australia
Townsville
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
1- 2- 3- 4!- A- A- 5!
badge
110% Rally
mbmbmbmbmb
That is a really nice preview of where the game is heading and what is in the works. thumbsup
I really like that you have grouped the bolt-ons and included details in each section.

The Backlot is excellent and I think it is great that there are no "Grey Areas" here. Having Vehicle Set 2 available is a real bonus and bodes well for future releases. (A month ago there were only 4 vehicle Cards now there are 8!) The extra cars also make the game seem more complete.

The Rules Varients and Additions has some interesting new stuff of which the Advanced Maneuver Deck is the most interesting to me. Relative speeds and a more detailed collision system are an obvious progression on the base game, not to mention some additional maneuvers. This should add some more tactics and strategy.

Dealin' Damage! and Attack dice, do not excite me as much, although I can see them adding a lot of FUN to Outrider.

Tejas Speed Shop and Military Surplus seems to be the most ambitious section and will require a lot of work to get right. This is the area where most other vehicle combat systems fall down. There are usually so many options and types of equipment that unwanted side effects can sometimes sneak through. Each item must be constructed in such a way to remove unfair advantages caused by combinations with other equipment, whether legitimate or only perceived.
Still, it will be nice to have a bit more variety in outfitting the vehicles and definitely expand the game a lot. The Tuner Cards are the most interesting to me from this section.

Scenarios and Terrain is the final section and what I consider the most important section.
This is where the game rules become a "game" - The Situation - where you put down the board and interact with the other players, to have fun and eventually find a winner. I still think Outrider is currently lacking in this area quite dramatically.

The Roadblock Terrain is already seeing a lot of use and I think it could also be used for simple chase scenarios, as everything required for these types of scenarios (Standard Road sections), comes with the base game.

Mesquite Motorodeo seems like its own self contained game. You could have a wide variety of tracks, Rules and Scenarios that would keep you occupied forever and never wanting to try any of the other scenario packs.

Hold the Fort is a "must have" and complements the Road block Scenarios. Probably the Scenario expansion I am most looking forward to as it offers a different experience but builds on the base set.

Roll Out completes the trilogy. With Roadblock and Hold the Fort, these three cover just about every Post-apocalyptic Vehicle combat scenario that has been in book or film (almost).

The Corps sounds like your good old David vs Goliath. This should be fun if nothing else?! angry

And finally, Urban Decay rounds out the whole thing, giving us the bikes and pedestrians that add a bit of spice and realism.

The 3D terrain is a must if you want people to upgrade to miniatures. The best thing is that you don't need a lot of it. A couple of Buildings and obstacles to direct the flow and act as objectives. The 2D road tiles are fantastic as is.

I am really impressed with all that is revealed and can't wait for more of these "Grey Areas" to become available!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Doherty
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, Gregg.

I used to be a huge Car Wars fan Back In The Day, but what killed that system for me was the "Car Fleet Battles" problem. When I heard about Outrider, I was ecstatic - the base set really revives all those old Car Wars memories for me. It plays fast and destructive and abstract just like CW used to in the beginning.

So that said, if you're looking for feedback, I am a little apprehensive about the expansions that add more details to the system (Damage deck, Advanced maneuver deck, Speed shop) because I don't want to see the game go the same route. Ideally I'd prefer to see the expansions that add breadth to the game (like the Scenarios, especially Urban Decay and Roll Out) released before those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Lewis
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks for the feedback.

It's been interesting, I get about a 50/50 split on the 'more detail vs. keep it simple' aspect.

My current goal is to work on the expansions that are very close to production, to get them off the backburner. These include the damage system, the toolkit, the speedshop and the weapons ... mostly becuase these were original concepts that needed additional tweaking.

I will also focus on scenarios/terrain, as this can be used with the game as it is now - and I have a lot of call for materials that can be used NOW, as is.

lastly, but not leastly the scenario packs that add new rules, as well as 'advanced' rules are still in protoform - these will need to be playetested before they see the light of day, becuase alot of the concepts change the base game signifigantly.

So what doe this all mean?

I expect the next releases to be something like this:

1. damage deck
2. speed shop/weapons
3. motorodeo scneario/terrain pack

after that it's a tossup, mostly due to time/playtesting constraints

hope this helps

-G

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hernan Ruiz Camauer
Argentina
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A number of items/products that Shaun mentions in his post above are no longer listed on the Bolt-Ons page. Does this mean they've been cancelled/scrapped?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Lewis
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
not exactly, I just have decided to retool them a bit and make fewer, larger expansions, instead of nickel & diming them all

-G

heruca wrote:
A number of items/products that Shaun mentions in his post above are no longer listed on the Bolt-Ons page. Does this mean they've been cancelled/scrapped?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.