Anders Pedersen
Denmark
Copenhagen N.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Volcanic Vapors reads:
"Any Hero that enters this Hazard's tile, or starts his or her turn there, is Poisoned".
Does that mean a hero, that was not poisoned last turn, takes 1 point of damage if starting on the tile. Or does the poison effect first start to hurt in the round after?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Kinsey
United States
Lancaster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played that, since you start your turn there, you become poisoned. And since it is the beginning of your hero phase you take a point of damage from the poison (which is a different scenario from 'moving through' the Volcanic Vapors' tile - that would posion you, but you wouldn't take damage until the begiining of your next hero phase, AND you would have a chance to negate the poison at the end of your currenty hero phase).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Parejko
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whereas we play it: start your turn in vapors, get poisoned, take damage at start of next turn, since the "start of your turn" has already passed. It is a little ambiguous, but considering how much damage one can take from traps (we got wiped out last night, mostly from drawing almost all the traps in quick succession), having a chance to nullify the poison if you were standing in the room makes a difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Kinsey
United States
Lancaster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
People from Pennsylvania NEVER play by the right rules... shake

Oh wait...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Trull
msg tools
mb
BDKWombat wrote:
We played that, since you start your turn there, you become poisoned. And since it is the beginning of your hero phase you take a point of damage from the poison (which is a different scenario from 'moving through' the Volcanic Vapors' tile - that would posion you, but you wouldn't take damage until the begiining of your next hero phase, AND you would have a chance to negate the poison at the end of your currenty hero phase).

We play this way also, if you get poisoned during moving then you would not take damage until start of your next turn and could possibly shrug off the condition at the end of the Hero Phase (held your breath an ran). Technically your Hero Phase is already started so you ignore the first part of the poison condition.

As for starting in the room, it becomes a matter of how you interpret the rules, technically both effects trigger at the start of the Hero Phase, but everything I have seen have stated when two things occur like this the player chooses their order. So if you choose to have the poison effect trigger first, then you were not under the condition yet. Its all semantics and how you choose to play.

We play where you do get poisoned and must face the affect of the condition, mainly as a balance to the moving into clearly not having an effect and to add a bit of a challenge.

Here is my question, one we could not decide on, is the Active Hero that trigged the condition by drawing the Encounter card automatically effected at the point the marker is placed? People could not agree, some thought he was since being in the area was no different than moving into it, etc. while others said it was past the Hero Phase and neither would apply until his next turn.

How are others playing this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Smith
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
dTrull wrote:

Here is my question, one we could not decide on, is the Active Hero that trigged the condition by drawing the Encounter card automatically effected at the point the marker is placed? People could not agree, some thought he was since being in the area was no different than moving into it, etc. while others said it was past the Hero Phase and neither would apply until his next turn.

I believe we play that in most cases, damage is not actually suffered until the following turn. There are a few monsters that cause poison and damage at the same time, but there are also a few cases where a hero is simply poisoned, with no mention of immediate damage. We play thoe cases as the damage not occuring until the following turn.
Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Paivinen
United States
San Jose Area
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know this is an old thread, but the OP asked a question we just encountered tonight. I'm really torn about this one. The rulebook makes it clear that taking poison damage occurs before the use of a healing surge, pg. 8 "Condition: Poisoned". So, the start of your Hero Phase is before step 1) of the Hero Phase. Volcanic Vapors uses the phrase, "starts his or her turn," and the Poisoned token uses the phrase, "at the start of your Hero Phase." I can see the argument that says both effects trigger at the same time. First, the token is placed on the hero and then the token's effect triggers.

However, I think the correct way to think about the Poisoned token is that it has to have been placed on the hero *before* the start of the Hero Phase to take effect *at* the start of the hero phase. The way poisoning seems to work is that the effect of being poisoned, losing a HP, is not instantaneous with the act of being poisoned. It takes some time for the poison to take effect. If a hero moves through Volcanic Vapors or is poisoned by the bite of a monster, the HP loss doesn't occur until the start of their next hero phase. So, it makes sense to me that the Poisoned token must be in place before the start of a hero's Hero Phase for its effect to occur. The Encounter Card could have easily had text that said, "Put a poison counter on every hero already on the active hero's tile."

So, we're going to continue to play it that if a hero is on a tile when Volcanic Vapors is played, then they get Poisoned at the start of their next Hero Phase, but they don't take the HP until the Hero Phase of the following turn ... assuming that the Poisoned token hasn't been removed before then.

dTrull wrote:

As for this question, the rules are pretty clear. The Encounter card is drawn during the Villain Phase of the hero's turn. The Hero Phase of their turn is over. They neither moved onto the tile while the Volcanic Vapors was on the tile, nor did they start their turn on the tile with Volcanic Vapors. So, no matter which way you choose to play it, the hero that drew the Volcanic Vapors Encounter card will not get a Poisoned token until the start of their next hero phase ... assuming that they're still on that tile.

EDIT: I re-read something last night after posting this that is making me re-think how to play Volcanic Vapors. Someone wrote something like "think of Volcanic Vapors as poisoning the Hero just before the start of their Hero phase." If I think of it that way, then the Hero should both get poisoned and take a HP on the same turn when starting on a tile with Volcanic Vapors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.