Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Fisk
United States
Spanish Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked up Dragonspire to start out with this game as I figured that the rules would have been hammered out by now and clarified in a way that left nothing to doubt. However after playing for the first time this past weekend I found myself CONSTANTLY referring back to the rules and not finding any answers.

As a matter of fact my reading of the rules left me to believe that you had two different attack totals and that magic attack was INDEPENDANT of regular attack and we totaled each separately. Now I seem to be finding out (through SOME posts here) that they are actually summed together.

Can someone give me some actual combat examples so that I make sure I am playing this game correctly? The one example in the rules didn't even include a single possible magic attack so to help the player know if they were independent or summed.

What is your TOTAL if you have 2 militia, one dagger and a hero with Magic Attack +1?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They're summed. Your total in your example is 4, assuming no battle effects.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Bolme
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Attack and Magic Attack are calculated separately with all their various modifers, then summed at the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fractal Energy
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only time it matters if it's Magic or normal Attack is if you're fighting some monster that does something to one or the other (eg. immune to magic attack), otherwise it doesn't matter and you just count it all and don't have to think about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Bolme
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Or if you have a doubling effect that affects one but not the other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Grazier
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
Check out my boardgame demoing website! www.geek-craft.com
badge
Near northeast Ohio? Come to one of my game nights! www.geek-craft.com
mbmbmbmbmb
The easy way to do this, and it's a bit confusing is to:

1) Total up all magical attack, with whatever bonuses or such you have.
2) Total up all other attack (physical attack for lack of a better term) with whatever bonuses you have.
3) Add Magical and Physical attack to get Total Attack

Keep in mind, as stated above, that some monsters have different reactions to magical or non-magical attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Fisk
United States
Spanish Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all. It was this sentence that made it so muddy for me:

"Attack Values are divided into ATTACK and MAGIC ATTACK. Each type of attack value is calculated separately."

The example immediately afterward even shows an attack with magic attack and regular attack but it never tells you a TOTAL. It just tells you that you must subtract the disease from one or the other. Very frustrating rule book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sylvus wrote:
Thanks all. It was this sentence that made it so muddy for me:

"Attack Values are divided into ATTACK and MAGIC ATTACK. Each type of attack value is calculated separately."

The example immediately afterward even shows an attack with magic attack and regular attack but it never tells you a TOTAL. It just tells you that you must subtract the disease from one or the other. Very frustrating rule book.

Note that when you halve attack or magic attack, it's one or the other after they're individually summed. So if you have to halve magic attack and your (physical) attack was 7 while magic attack was 5, then the 5 would get rounded down to 2, for a total attack of 7 + 2 = 9

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave T
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found the Thunderstone rules to be much better after I stopped overthinking them. (Not that I am saying that you are overthinking them, of course.) After I had a couple of games under my belt I think things are spelled out nicely and are straightforward for the most part. Have fun with it!

Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.