Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pol Michiels
Belgium
Ottenburg
Vlaams brabant
flag msg tools
badge
Of all people who have nothing to say, those who say nothing are the wisest.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all,

Itching for some WoW action after my first play last weekend, but lacking a friend to play with, I cracked open my box of Flight of the Giants to attempt the solo play scenario. Two enemy Zeppelin Staaken R.VI were headed for our vulnerable cities, and we were the last line of defense. We must not fail!

...and yet, we did. One thing I seriously underestimated was the speed of the giant bombers. While their maneuver cards offer only tiny arrows, their cards are huge, and as such, they move a lot farther than the maneuvers would have you think. As such, in round 2, when I was planning for glorious confrontation and shooting at their relatively lightly defended front arc (1 B-firing MG), I ended up overflying, not getting to fire at all, but getting hammered by short range hits from all 4 rear guns of one bomber. Suffice to say that, even with plenty of zeroes drawn, it hurt like when you fall and hit your knee on exactly the wrong spot at the side and you get a swelling behind your patella that means you can't even fold your leg for the next few days and... but I digress. At the end of that disastrous turn, my Spad was on fire, and my Albatross had damage problems. The Sopwith Camel was fine, but mostly because I had misguessed the most with its turns, and it was as such nowhere near the bombers.

I ended up pulling it around slightly with some tight Immelmans the next turn, and I did manage to cause an acceptable 19 damage to one bomber, but by then, the edge of the suspiciously kitchen table shaped battlefield was rapidly approaching, and before I could get another shot off, both bombers vanished into the night. Final score: an abysmal -19 points, and me thoroughly shamed. Next time I won't be so hasty to underestimate these flying fortresses. Oh yeah, you heard me, there will be a next time.

Final thoughts:

I think I like the bombers more as a 1P AI opponent than the balloons/AA setups. Something about them just seems made for NPC flying, and the suggested mechanic of a randomized, slightly shaved deck works really well (but go through the entire deck before you shuffle, or they'll start going off the sides too fast). They offer a worthy opponent, and some good experience on flying your planes around. Just don't underestimate their firepower (unlikely, with all the huge arcs on the cards) or their speeds (deceptive to say the least).

Love this one, can't wait to play again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Boos
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That makes sense; the best Zeppelins/rigid airships like the Hindenburg, Graf Zeppelin, Shenandoah, Macon, and Akron could get up to about 80-85 knots. While the WWI airships probably couldn't go that fast, they could probably get to 50-60 knots I would imagine (I would have to research to know), that would be about half the top speed of a Sopwith Camel. So it would be very easy to fly past it., yet have a hard time catching back up with it once you did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm... I think he is speaking of the dread Zeppelin Staaken. more than 42 meters of wingspan, 135 km/h.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pol Michiels
Belgium
Ottenburg
Vlaams brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
angiolillo wrote:
Hmmm... I think he is speaking of the dread Zeppelin Staaken. more than 42 meters of wingspan, 135 km/h.

Yes sir, that's the plane that bombed my granny. I'd recognize him anywhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Boos
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
angiolillo wrote:

Oops - I saw Zeppelin and instantly thought airship... blush

Meaning I need to pick up this expansion to be more versed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pol Michiels
Belgium
Ottenburg
Vlaams brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pmboos wrote:

Oops - I saw Zeppelin and instantly thought airship... :blush:

Meaning I need to pick up this expansion to be more versed. ;)

It's amazing the things I've learned about WWI just from this game, and the reading up I did because of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, not many people realize in WW1 they were flying bombers with a larger wingspan than WW2 heavy bombers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Fiett
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Boscrossos wrote:
At the end of that disastrous turn, my Spad was on fire, and my Albatross had damage problems. The Sopwith Camel was fine

Albatross fought against German giants? I don't remember, do we have a captured Albatross in either set?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pol Michiels
Belgium
Ottenburg
Vlaams brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Andy44 wrote:

Albatross fought against German giants? I don't remember, do we have a captured Albatross in either set?

Yeah, that was kind of my bad. I just grabbed the first three planes Flying A, B and C maneuver decks, without checking their allegiance. In my second playthrough, you'll note I replaced the albatross with an A-firing SPAD VII.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.