Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Mansions of Madness» Forums » Rules

Subject: Scenario 1b question (spoilers) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
yegods
United States
Campbell
CA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
i had the Shoggoth summoned and running for the foyer door, but the foyer was on fire, so it was a bit difficult for everyone to maneuver. The clock was ticking, and there was only a couple turns left before the players would win the game due to resolving the fifth event. i had one more turn before i could exit the foyer using my "command minions". the players pulled out an excellent attempt at stopping me, but i came up with an even more excellent reason why it wouldn't work:

they had the elder sign, and had one of the investigators move into the same spot as the Shoggoth and use it. it would force me to move the Shoggoth two spaces away from the investigator. A sure win for the investigators, since i would then not have enough time to exit. well, i reasons, after too much thought, that i could run the Shoggoth out of the foyer, as that was just as much away from the elder sign as back into the house. They complained saying that moving out of the house (and thus winning the game) was not "movement". i must be forced to move two actual spaces within the house.

what do you say?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milan Mašát
Czech Republic
Praha
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not WANT to be mean, but I have to. There are now at least 3 treads about "spoiler 1b scenario".
Please, when you have a question look first if there is not asked or answered before posting.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milan Mašát
Czech Republic
Praha
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
And as for the question, Using Elder sigh in this situation and being at the same spot is game over. You have to be between the doors and shoggoth to let elder sign work.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Woa, there was a Shoggoth in 1B?!? I picked 1C our first time through, and it was a boring ending (a few extra zombies and heroes just had to escape)...

-shnar
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Hall
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Vodnyk wrote:
I do not WANT to be mean, but I have to. There are now at least 3 treads about "spoiler 1b scenario".
Please, when you have a question look first if there is not asked or answered before posting.


All for directing people to the right place; but at least be cool and answer the question. This response is akin to being a bully.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Doroski
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools


My group had the exact same situation come up. Our ruling was that the two spaces of movement both had to take the Shoggoth further away from the player with the elder sign. This would mean that a Shoggoth on the same space as the investigator with the elder sign would be able to move in any direction the Keeper chose, including out the door. There's no thematic reason that the Shoggoth shouldn't be able to flee from the elder sign in the direction it was going. Everyone at my table agreed that this made the most sense, even though it resulted in most of them losing. Not sure about an official ruling, but this is how we're playing it for now.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean P
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You could always roll the die to determine the direction of movement if there's an argument.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Seachrist
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Vodnyk wrote:
And as for the question, Using Elder sigh in this situation and being at the same spot is game over. You have to be between the doors and shoggoth to let elder sign work.


That's how we ruled it would work in our group too, with the investigator in the long space running between the entrance and the double stairway. Then as it turned out the lucky bastards didn't need to worry about it anyway. They got a stun on Shoggy one turn and pasted it with a shotgun their next turn for +1 damage at point blank. The stars were apparently not all that well aligned...*

Moral to that session (it was our first) is as a keeper you need to decide if the important factor is introducing the group to the game mechanics as a whole or winning that specific game. I could have had the shoggoth to the front door two turns sooner if I wouldn't have held off while the investigators saw a bit more of the mansion--including the spot where Mr. Double Barrel was stashed. I wanted them to actually get to find some clues before the tentacled VW bus rolled toward the door.

*edit: shotgun plus some other damage. didn't mean to imply this was an "easy" kill.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
yegods
United States
Campbell
CA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Vodnyk wrote:
I do not WANT to be mean, but I have to. There are now at least 3 treads about "spoiler 1b scenario".
Please, when you have a question look first if there is not asked or answered before posting.


simple answer to that complaint is that i wasn't totally sure what scenario it was when i posted the question (i actually thought it was 1c), and i did see that there were questions about 1b. i looked it up while i was writing the text of the message. my bad.

and thanks for the answer to everyone else!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
esa gröhn
Finland
imatra
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hawaiiirish wrote:

All for directing people to the right place; but at least be cool and answer the question. This response is akin to being a bully.


yegods wrote:

and thanks for the answer to everyone else!


Either I'm hallucinating or I've gathered enough horror tokens to go insane, because I'm seeing Vodnyk answering your question right after his original post..
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milan Mašát
Czech Republic
Praha
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Zelurs wrote:
Either I'm hallucinating or I've gathered enough horror tokens to go insane, because I'm seeing Vodnyk answering your question right after his original post..

Thanks for pointing that out.
And I can not easily point the right direction to the previous tread, because there are numerous now... I there is just one I will do it. And I admit that I was a bit bullying (is there even such a word in English?) but it drives me crazy to see such number of duplicate posts. Not only this question - uncontrollable urge is also triplet, duke doubled etc...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Hall
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Vodnyk wrote:
And I admit that I was a bit bullying (is there even such a word in English?) but it drives me crazy to see such number of duplicate posts. Not only this question - uncontrollable urge is also triplet, duke doubled etc...


I wrote something here that belies my feeling about BGG and the community. Frankly, I just wish we could spend more time answering questions instead of complaining to one another about tiny things.

in any event, I appreciate you took the time to answer the question after you sniped a comment.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Winter
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
drummond13 wrote:


My group had the exact same situation come up. Our ruling was that the two spaces of movement both had to take the Shoggoth further away from the player with the elder sign. This would mean that a Shoggoth on the same space as the investigator with the elder sign would be able to move in any direction the Keeper chose, including out the door. There's no thematic reason that the Shoggoth shouldn't be able to flee from the elder sign in the direction it was going. Everyone at my table agreed that this made the most sense, even though it resulted in most of them losing. Not sure about an official ruling, but this is how we're playing it for now.


But the Elder Sign says you can force a monster to moves two SPACES away and out the door doesn't lead to a space. So, it's not a valid move and wouldn't end the game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.