Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Miceli
msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Dungeon Drop!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not played any of the other Alea games besides San Juan and Puerto Rico - any recommendations for others that are represented in this Treasure Chest? Welcome any thoughts you may have! Thanks,

Jason
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad N
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
Unique titles I've played in 2018
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Notre Dame. It's a pretty approachable game and scales well from 3 to 5 players. If you play the base game 5 times or so, then the expansion does really help the game, IMO. It adds some variety to the special characters who can bring influence to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Weed
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
how sweet the sound...
badge
Fear The Hat !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
jasonmiceli wrote:
I have not played any of the other Alea games besides San Juan and Puerto Rico - any recommendations for others that are represented in this Treasure Chest? Welcome any thoughts you may have! Thanks,

Jason

Princes of Florence is popular in our group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Louis XIV. The base game is really challenging and fun. I haven't played with the Treasure Chest expansion yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad N
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
Unique titles I've played in 2018
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I should note that I love The Princes of Florence and also enjoy Louis XIV. In fact PoF is one of my favorite games. However, it really plays best with 5 (okay with 4 IMO, but many will disagree with that) and I'm not sure that the expansion for PoF is appreciated much. Also, I like Louis XIV but prefer Notre Dame. ND is easier to play. Again, not sure how the Louis XIV expansion works with the game.

In my view, we're talking about three very high quality middle-weight Euros here (with PoF being the heaviest, and my favorite, of the three).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe F.
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the Year of the Dragon and Puerto Rico are my two favorite from the Treasure Chest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens www.spielefreun.de
Germany
Neudrossenfeld
flag msg tools
designer
Nobody reads this, anyway!
badge
Doea anybody read this, anyway?
mbmbmbmbmb
To me, Notre Dame is the best game from the alea Chest. Better than SJ and PR.

Next best is In The Year Of The Dragon, but only with enough players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
weed131 wrote:
Princes of Florence is popular in our group.

If you buy Princes of Florence now, it includes the expansion content from the Treasure Chest anyway.

I'm going to say both of Feld's games: Notre Dame and In the Year of the Dragon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Miceli
msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Dungeon Drop!
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting - no votes for Witch's Brew...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lowell Kempf
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will actually put in a vote for Witch's Brew. It is lighter than the other games but it has never failed to put a smile on people's faces and I have played it with multiple groups.

It is a very solid little game that definitely has a ton of interaction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Miceli
msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Dungeon Drop!
mbmbmbmbmb
Okie dokie! So essentially everything else included sounds like it's at least good enough to try - so I'll probably just go in alphabetical order then!

Thanks all - me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Liken
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Princes, Notre Dame and ITYOTD are all great games that are well worth having. I also like Witches Brew although it is a lighter and less serious game than the others. I haven't played Louis XIV.

Ender's Game has recently done an excellent review of the expansion cards for Notre Dame.

I'd say gradually pick up all of them if you want, but it might pay to look at player numbers you regularly play with to determine the best fit for your group. Others views may vary but:

- Notre Dame and Louis XIV are better choices if you have lower player counts (say 2 or 3 commonly and sometimes 4 players). I find Notre Dame to be an excellent 3-player (it is also good with 4, and OK with 5).
- I wouldn't play Princes or Witches Brew with less than 4 players (both are playable wiht 3 but just lack something)
- ITYOTD works fine with 2 and 3, but I much prefer it with 4 or 5 players.

Hope that helps somewhat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.