United States
Mountain Green
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There have been numerous complaints and requests for replacement pieces surrounding the first edition / printing of Homesteaders. This is an unfortunate result of my first effort to publish board games in which I choose a manufacturer used and recommended by others.

I now know that this manufacturer is inconsistent at best, and happened to significantly screw up my printing. Truely unfortunate, but I have to deal with it.

I could have done a number of things, but my choice was to offer and fulfill any and all replacement requests. If you bought the game and felt like you had pieces which impeded your ability to play the game, then I replaced them.

To date, Tasty Minstrel Games, which means me, has lost a significant amount of money on the first printing of Homesteaders and Terra Prime. As you might imagine, it is incredibly frustrating.

With the announcement of a 2nd edition of Homesteaders coming, people have been asking for replacement packs. There will not be any. Now, before some people get extremely mad, I continue to honor any and all requests for replacement pieces.

So, if you feel that you need replacement pieces, then just email me michael@tastyminstrelgames.com with a list of what you would like replaced and you mailing address.

Sure, this will be expensive, but I will not let it stop me from doing the right thing. I have only one request:

If you want replacement pieces, then please consider your actual need for them. I will not deny your request. Please just bear in mind that anytime I send out replacements it will cost me $2-3 USD to mail them within the United States and $5-8 to mail them outside of the United States. Please consider that against the fact that the resulting revenue from your purchase was about $12 USD.

There will be no upgrade packs. This is because I will honor all replacement requests until an undetermined time far in the future (at least 6 months)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
Michael, I played a friend's copy of Homesteaders that had some printing issues.

I never found the quality of the printing to be more than a distraction -- never an impediment -- to play. Any problems were far out shadowed by the great game play.

Put me down for a copy of the second run and I hope it will get a lot more people playing -- it was truly an overlooked gem of 2009.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob White
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Homesteaders is a terrific game. For me any issue with the cardboard components is out-weighed by the great cows, apples, etc. You won't be hearing from me about replacements.

Hope you second printing nets you guys some good cash.

Rob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll jump in and say my copy was fine too. Only a couple misaligned edges really but nothing that damaged the very excellent game play. I'm in for another copy myself. I would actually like to combine shipping with ED if it is going to be released soon enough. Is there any chance that will be possible?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Grant
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
More Yellow
badge
Great Wall of China
mbmbmbmbmb
My copy, while obviously not as good as the publisher had hoped was perfectly playable (and once you start playing you get involved in the game and don't notice the problems). I can understand your not wanting to send out upgrade kits - I imagine it would involve sending out every piece of cardboard again.

I too think it's a great game and will be looking to purchase the second edition, so am interested to know if it's possible to get it shipped together with my Eminent Domain 6-pack (warning: international shipping).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mindes
United States
Mountain Green
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kvenosdel wrote:
I'll jump in and say my copy was fine too. Only a couple misaligned edges really but nothing that damaged the very excellent game play. I'm in for another copy myself. I would actually like to combine shipping with ED if it is going to be released soon enough. Is there any chance that will be possible?

I will consider this as a possibility. The logistics of combining with the Eminent Domain orders might be overly difficult for me, but I will see if I can find an elegant solution, especially considering the saving on shipping that there stands to be.

Also, since Belfort and Jab will also be arriving at the same time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G K
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Mattel Electronics Presents
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with above posters regarding the game playing fine with the components I received. If I had mold or badly off-center die cuts or something then free replacements have always been available, and sounds like they will continue to be so for the next while.

Sounds like good customer service to me to be able to get free replacements for any non-functional parts. If your parts work fine but you still want the second edition bits- then you should buy the second edition of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Lee
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first print run was poorly done, but if anyone's copy is like mine, I can't see how someone would say it's "unplayable". It's not even a distraction for me. The game is excellent and your company deserves positive attention for being the one to publish it.

I look forward to what you have in store for the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DrMayhem wrote:
kvenosdel wrote:

I will consider this as a possibility. The logistics of combining with the Eminent Domain orders might be overly difficult for me, but I will see if I can find an elegant solution, especially considering the saving on shipping that there stands to be.

Wait, is this potentially combining an order of Homesteaders with a kickstarter Eminent Domain order? Because, if so, I'd be interested in that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mindes
United States
Mountain Green
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ravenskana wrote:
DrMayhem wrote:
kvenosdel wrote:

Wait, is this potentially combining an order of Homesteaders with a kickstarter Eminent Domain order? Because, if so, I'd be interested in that.

It looks like I better figure this out. It is on the list!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimitri Gia
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In all honesty: Homesteaders is still on my wishlist and as such, I don't have the game (yet).

But I have to concur with Cole (Lakoda): I wouldn't go so far to say that not sending out replacement packs is a mistake (after all, I can imagine it's a costly affair) but why not set up a system where you can buy that replacement pack? Or at least pay for the shipping charges? People who REALLY REALLY REALLY need this pack, won't mind paying the 2/3$ for the shipping charges (heck, add 1 or 2$ for the production costs of the pack).

Just my humble opinion of course, it's a pity that sometimes there are pieces missing or there's something askew with the game but as a gamer with a common sense (that's me ), I know how these games are sometimes not produced by the small "firms" selling them but on some foreign parties. With all consequences... And this is a "cost" / "risk" I calculate with any game in my collection that I buy from smaller publishers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mindes
United States
Mountain Green
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
echdareez wrote:
In all honesty: Homesteaders is still on my wishlist and as such, I don't have the game (yet).

But I have to concur with Cole (Lakoda): I wouldn't go so far to say that not sending out replacement packs is a mistake (after all, I can imagine it's a costly affair) but why not set up a system where you can buy that replacement pack? Or at least pay for the shipping charges? People who REALLY REALLY REALLY need this pack, won't mind paying the 2/3$ for the shipping charges (heck, add 1 or 2$ for the production costs of the pack).

Just my humble opinion of course, it's a pity that sometimes there are pieces missing or there's something askew with the game but as a gamer with a common sense (that's me ), I know how these games are sometimes not produced by the small "firms" selling them but on some foreign parties. With all consequences... And this is a "cost" / "risk" I calculate with any game in my collection that I buy from smaller publishers.

These costs are significantly higher than that, and if I priced everything in, the people would complain about the cost approaching the cost of buying the 2nd edition through an online retailer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DrMayhem wrote:
kvenosdel wrote:

If it's trouble dont worry about it. I plan on getting it regardless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mindes
United States
Mountain Green
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kvenosdel wrote:
DrMayhem wrote:
kvenosdel wrote:

If it's trouble dont worry about it. I plan on getting it regardless.

It shouldn't be trouble, I just need to think about some things for how to make it work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G K
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Mattel Electronics Presents
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
echdareez wrote:
People who REALLY REALLY REALLY need this pack, won't mind paying the 2/3$ for the shipping charges (heck, add 1 or 2$ for the production costs of the pack).

Here is the central part of the whole thing. Nobody really needs this pack since replacements for unusable parts have always been available. I know for myself I REALLY REALLY REALLY want the second edition parts, which is not the same as needing them. I have an obsessive completist tendancy, and maybe its from having to deal with this that I am able to force myself to make this distinction.

I certainly don't think that Tasty Minstrel owes me replacements or that they are not offering good service by not offering an upgrade pack. Would it be nice if they ate the cost and offered free or cheap upgrades? In the short term maybe... but not at the cost of them being able to offer other games in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
Germany
Illerkirchberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lakoda wrote:
Like Blorb said above, I too felt the printing issue and the hydration induced warping and splitting problems were only distractions. I generally take really good care of my games and due to that reason I have no doubt my first edition will last me as long as I still find it enjoyable.

Michael, all that being said, I still think denying upgrade packs is a mistake. For me, and I bet many others who still haven't requested replacements, it is not about getting less or non- damaged components but about getting the newer and higher quality components. I appreciate your desire to stand up for your product and make things right (something that is all but lost in todays markets), but for me, making things right would be allowing me to purchase the upgraded pieces without having to buy the game all over again. I purchased the game knowing the board was too thin and folded backwards. I just want to buy the better one that I'm expecting to find in the second printing. I think it is acceptable for products to improve over time, just as they did here (you took care of the damage, now a lot of us just want the upgrade).

I don't expect you to change your mind, but this being the internet I had to share my thoughts. Best of luck with the second printing and I look forward to Eminent Domain!

there`s nothing more to say about this: That`s exactly (=100%) the same, what I`m thinking about this topic!
I`m still dissapointed of not having the chance to get an "upgrade kit"...and I`m not talking about a free ugrade-pack .....lucky the people, who waited for a second print run......
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Specter
United States
Belmont
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe I'm belaboring the point, but my aesthetically imperfect copy was perfectly playable. I think Tasty Minstrel is an excellent company, and their willingness to do what they have already done is over the top customer service, especially nowadays.

Michael, I applaud your acknowledgement of the issue and the steps you have taken to resolve it. For the sake of your sanity and your business plan, I think you deserve to pick a cut off point where you can move on to creating the other fantastic games you have planned and just chalk this minor issue up to a lesson learned.

Best,

Marc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark C
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb

I have not bought Homesteaders, but got to play it recently and thought it was a good game. Given this post, I'm impressed with your willingness to stand by it under difficult circumstances, and will definitely get it in the near future. Good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mindes
United States
Mountain Green
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamer_Dog wrote:

I have not bought Homesteaders, but got to play it recently and thought it was a good game. Given this post, I'm impressed with your willingness to stand by it under difficult circumstances, and will definitely get it in the near future. Good luck.

Well, the second edition will be available in the near future!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheldon Morris
Canada
Fergus
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DrMayhem wrote:

Even though a friend has the game already I have this on my wishlist. A Second Edition is just icing on th cake. (I sure hope the wooden pieces as still as good as in the first release; those are fantastic!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mindes
United States
Mountain Green
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hugin wrote:
DrMayhem wrote:

Even though a friend has the game already I have this on my wishlist. A Second Edition is just icing on th cake. (I sure hope the wooden pieces as still as good as in the first release; those are fantastic!).

They are being made to the same specifications...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Cole, Make a best of both worlds set for yourself with your favorite bits from the two editions, then trade the other one for a game you want, sell it, or give it to someone to infect them with the love of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mindes
United States
Mountain Green
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grandslam wrote:
Cole, Make a best of both worlds set for yourself with your favorite bits from the two editions, then trade the other one for a game you want, sell it, or give it to someone to infect them with the love of the game.

Hopefully that is all that they are infected with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Chav
United States
Taylorsville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have one worker who has one leg. I think it gives him character. We call him the grumpy old prospector!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryszard Hermaszewski
United Kingdom
Watford
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought the spots of mold were part of the old time look of the game. Adds a bit of character.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.