Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have two investigators which one of my players tried to "straighten up" and popped them off of their stands. I'd have thought he would have learned on the first one, but I guess not.

What type of glue do the Chinese manufacturers use to glue figure to their stands? Otherwise, what type would you recommend that I use for this type of plastic, please?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used Testor's for my monster figs. I would assume it would be good for your situation as well...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, titeman, BUT do you mean Testors cyanoacrylate or Testors plastic glue?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any CA glue would work fine. A basic two-part epoxy would be OK, too.

Plastic modeling cement only works on certain types of plastic and I'm not sure if these are the right kind or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They recommend superglue for putting the critters into their bases.

Same should work for the Investigators.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
chicklewis wrote:
I have two investigators which one of my players tried to "straighten up" and popped them off of their stands. I'd have thought he would have learned on the first one, but I guess not.

DUDE!
He is LUCKY he didn't break them...
I wouldn't let his monkey-butt play with my toys anymore.
P

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chicklewis wrote:
Thanks, titeman, BUT do you mean Testors cyanoacrylate or Testors plastic glue?

This: http://www.testors.com/product/136636/3521X/_/Non-Toxic_Ceme....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Therron Thomas
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil of Mars wrote:
chicklewis wrote:

DUDE!
He is LUCKY he didn't break them...
I wouldn't let his monkey-butt play with my toys anymore.
P

I don't have that much control.

I recall a situation that made me probably the angriest I have ever been in my life. Playing Warzone years ago and let a guy borrow one of nicer armies I had spent countless hours painting and modifying. I walk up during a game and as he gets some troops wiped out he literally swipes them up together and tosses them (maybe a foot) into a box I had given him to carry them in.

Needless to say he gained a forfeit for the game and could not play any more. I seriously went blind with anger. I have experienced a lot of anxiety, sadness, etc... but this was shear anger.

Oh... and CA should work fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WOW, TwThomas, that would have made me apoplectic as well. Horrible story !!

There are clueless quarterwits used to playing with the pre-painted bendy plastic figures which wouldn't take damage if tossed as you say. HOPE your figures were not metal, but even if they were hard plastic, there is just no excuse for one to not be SUPER careful with your excellently-painted figures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Alfaro
United States
Indian Trail
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite glue to use for any type of model is Loctite control gel. It is a super glue so it has a very powerful grip and the gel makes it much easier to apply. Obviously as with all super glues it will break if a strong force is applied. Plastic glues will work too, but as they "melt" the pieces together, an accident can cause the figure to break at a different weak point (such as the ankle or knee).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried cheap superglue, not expecting it to work on bendy plastic, but it worked just fine.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Moffatt
Australia
Ipswich
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope to be able to shed more light on the plastics used in MoM when I receive my copy (hopefully tomorrow).

As a general rule of thumb Styrene cement (Testors, Revell Contacta, etc) are only good for gluing styrene, the type of plastic used for Games Workshop miniatures. It bonds by liquefying the coated surfaces of the styrene and literally welding the parts together. This glue will NOT work on soft plastic miniatures.

Super Glue (Cyanoacrylate based) will work for the softer, flexible plastic used by FFG for Talisman, and by FFP in all of their games. I suggest using the gel type rather than the straight liquid as it does fill gaps and provides a better bond. The liquid should only be used when you have two perfectly flush mating surfaces. That is when the bond is strongest.

Therron, I feel your pain! I would have killed anybody that treated my painted miniatures like that. I am painting my Space Hulk minis at the moment (at least 24 hours on the Broodlord alone!) and I think I'll have to splurge for the battlefoam to keep these suckers safe. I know how many hours have gone into each individual mini and some people just seem unable to appreciate that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Moffatt
Australia
Ipswich
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I posted my thoughts about the miniatures and the plastic used here...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.