Subject: Wheeled vs. Halftracked vs. Tracked rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brett Soutter
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
Look, you've got nothing to say and you're saying it too loudly. So...
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi gang

1) The German Opel is a halftrack vehicle with two green wheel symbols (using CoH Reference Rules V3.0). This arrangement with the German SdKfz 251 grants two blue tread symbols instead. Are they different because of inherently different off-road performance characteristics?

2) The German SdKfz 221/222 are wheeled vehicles with a green wheel symbol + a blue tread symbol. Consequently they appear to be the only vehicles to be supported by the inclusion in the Terrain and Movement Table, Wheeled Movement column, of tread symbol capabilities for wheeled vehicles under Clear, Road, Bridge, and Field (Wheat) terrains. Are they granted a blue tread symbol because they are four-wheel drive?

If this is true, I'm just wondering, with potential future diversity of CoH vehicle chits, if there is a less-confusing way to differentiate (or abstract) performance characteristics of vehicles than by granting track symbols to wheeled vehicles, or wheel symbols to halftrack vehicles.

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Opel is a straightforward truck, not a halftrack at all. The 251 is a halftrack. The 221 & 222 are fully cross-country capable armoured cars. The colour of the symbols does not represent the types of running gear, but the relative on or off road speeds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Harper
United States
Maricopa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually there is an Opel Maultier in COH, and that is a half-tracked version of the Opel Blitz. I have to agree that the little symbols might be confusing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Soutter
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
Look, you've got nothing to say and you're saying it too loudly. So...
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking directly at my two Opel chits (Opel #1 and Opel #2) and they have tracks on the back of the truck.

And I'm not talking about the colour of the symbols, I'm talking about the symbols themselves. My concern is about using them to represent capability rather than implementation, which seems confusing to me, and will presumably only get worse as more chits are introduced into the CoH game system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
pavobueno wrote:
Actually there is an Opel Maultier in COH, and that is a half-tracked version of the Opel Blitz.
There is? Oh, my apologies - so there is!

Never mind, the point still stands, it's on & off road capability that's being abstracted as 'wheeled' and 'tracked' movement. Clearly the Maultier isn't reckoned much off-road...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Harper
United States
Maricopa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wulf Corbett wrote:
pavobueno wrote:
Actually there is an Opel Maultier in COH, and that is a half-tracked version of the Opel Blitz.
There is? Oh, my apologies - so there is!

Never mind, the point still stands, it's on & off road capability that's being abstracted as 'wheeled' and 'tracked' movement. Clearly the Maultier isn't reckoned much off-road...

Yes, I believe it was just for road movement, albeit with some better mobility than the wheeled versions. Don't think it was expected to get too carried away with off-road trips, any more than necessary to deliver supplies and such.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.