Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike L
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I'm definitely about to pull the trigger on one of the Commands and Colors games but I'm not sure which one. I had Memoir 44 but traded it because it was just too simple and I didn't like the fact that my battle would be finished because I had the wrong hand.

Command and Colors seems to fix this with leaders (or at least reduces the luck of the cards). I'd like to give this system one more chance because although a little frustrating, I enjoyed it and saw the potential. Now I'm settled on buying C&C but not sure which one: Ancients has so much fan support, extra scenarios, expansions, etc. Napoleon will in the future, I know.

I love Roman history and don't know much about Napoleon-era conflict but I have enough Roman-themed stuff so I don't HAVE TO buy this on theme alone. My only concern is game play; which one has the better play? I like the idea of Napoleon's dice being limited by the number of blocks you are attacking with, but couldn't I just apply that rule to Ancients? Sorry for the long post, just trying to decide which game to pull the trigger on. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a big fan of C&C Ancients. I have C&C Napoleonics, but an still getting a feel for the game. I've played a few of the scenarios, but am still learning how to use my cavalry and getting my head around the coordination.

I'm not sure I like the die roll reductions used in Napoleonics. It seems like this system is most appropriate for smaller actions where each unit represents a linear formation of infantry. With linear formations, as you take losses, you lose the ability to attack, because there's no reserve--you just end up with a smaller/thinner line. But with larger formations (e.g., brigades or divisions), where there is a 2nd or 3rd line in reserve, there is the ability to fill in and reinforce.

Based on your interest in ancients, that's probably the direction I'd recommend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Weed
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
how sweet the sound...
badge
Fear The Hat !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ancients

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike L
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the recommendations people. I am going with Ancients, seems like the best fit for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Van Beurden
Belgium
Leuven
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say, if you already have enough Roman stuff, to go Napoleonics. But then again, I am a Napoleonics fan and especially bought C&C:N for the theme, so probably you should go Ancients then?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.