Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wayne Pierce
United States
Lexington
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I actually do not mind a little sexual reference in games (I loved the cartoon cave man running off with the cave woman with his penis flopping in the wind in Bruno Faidutti's Valley of the Mammoths), except that I got this particular game thinking it would be totally kid friendly. So, there are a couple of cards in the Fortune Teller deck called "I see...Sex in the City" which is a positive card of course, and "Tramp Stamp". I understand the German "Arschgeweih" for tramp stamp actually means "ass antlers"! I suppose you can always default to the Ring-the-Bell game when playing with young kids, but I would love to have a few alternative + and - cards that are a bit less raunchy for the little ones. Most of the other cards are pretty funny...well the herpes card is not that funny, and certainly nobody would want to get that "card". Any card suggestions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolf Wittenstein
Germany
Hagen
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice you bring that up, Wayne. There was a lot of discussions involving the cards of the fortuneteller. Everybody working on funfair tried to get deep into the atmosphere of typical German funfairs. They are expensive, but harmless pleasures for families. We remembered "the men from the motor trade" with their Elvis styled hair, the "arse antlers" of some ladies (yes, they are called "Hirschgeweih" over here, too), spilt beers, queues in front of the toilets or herpes someone has got after a funfair visit...
Translations of every-day-language is not our speciality, too. Just for the Ring-The-Bell game we invented the "grilled avocado chief" ;-)
Keep in mind, we concepted this game as a fun party game for friends and customers to celebrate our anniversary - just in a small printrun and for Germany only. We did not think to have it published in other countries and we did not think of it as a family game either. Grand Cru was the project of our main concern at that time and eggertspiele basically is a one-man(and his wife)-show.
Just when one of our French partners reclined to take the game because of some "revolting" fortuneteller cards, we got into thinking about the "ethic code". But as Essen was quickly coming up, time was running out and we wanted to get the game on the market within our anniversary and not a year after. In Essen we were surprised how many families had fun playing this game, which was planned more as a gettogether of eggertspiele┬┤s friends and as a joke for insiders and geeks.

The "Kindernothilfe", by the way, a non-profit organisation around here, helping troubled children, is happy to promote this game, as the designers and illustrators (and the publisher) donate most of their profits.
Maybe there will be a "kids" expansions some day, with new cards for the fortune-teller. We are always open to ideas and suggestions.
Thanks for enjoying Funfair.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Pierce
United States
Lexington
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wolf, thanks for the great response and background you provided for the game. I am looking forward to playing the game with friends as a great party game, nothing to take too seriously. I have a 4yr and 1yr old girl, so they cannot play most of my games...yet I do find the cards quite humorous (as I know some humor in Germany (or Great Britain for that matter) would make some Americans scratch their heads. The cards are growing on me, so you might get a positive "Sex in the City" but you just as well may end up with "Herpes" or a "Tramp Stamp". ha!

Thanks for the cooperative design on this beautiful game and for the charity. Yes, I would gladly buy an expansion!meeple

Wayne
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.