Popular Tags: [View All]
Cory Suter
United States
Orlando
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
See what I did there? It's a game about sea monsters in water eating people. I'm sure they are hungry too.

I got to play this game at a local gaming group. Originally, I was looking at this game as a gateway to get my girlfriend into board games with me. I convinced her to come to the group and we play this with some people and I think it got her hooked.

Survive! peaked my interest because it seemed simple, fun, energetic. Not quite a "gateway" game for a typical brain burner but I figured it would be easy to digest. Wow, was it fun!

After a quick overview of the rules everyone put down their Atlantians. To be honest, I was nervous when I flipped my first tile. I seriously wanted to have a shark eat someone. Knowing where you placed your high valued citizens is also crucial. Run, don't walk them to the boats. A very interesting trend that I noticed was that the various players colors were segregated to various ends of the island. This hurt in the long run because it was very easy for someone else to flip your tiles and put you in immediate danger. Not realizing the dangers of a sinking island, I was foolish enough to flip a tile near my boat and some swimmers.

WHIRLPOOL!!!!! Needless to say, they all drown immediately and I was left with two people alive in a boat elsewhere and one guy crying on the island.

My girlfriend then switched into super vicious mode and started shark attacking every player in sight. Every time she would move the Sea Monster she would yell "Release the Kraken!" That krakens me up. She did receive her just desserts as one of her full boats was eventually surrounded by a whale, a shark, and the Kraken one space from safety.

Regardless, after about 45 mins. we revealed the volcano and everyone died any ways.

This game was vicious, but it was a quick and easy way to begin the night. I had a blast and so did she even though we lost. The components are amazing and I just want to play with them like they were action figures instead of wooden blocks. I did not get the chance to play with the squids or even the dolphin variant, but I think they would add just enough spice to make things interesting and new again without being burdensome.

Overall, go play it. It's a great time, it should have some good re-playability, and any family looking for a way to constructively handle competition will enjoy this game.

Oh and sorry for the puns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Randy Weston - The Spirits of Our Ancestors
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gromguitar4 wrote:
See what I did there?

I'm not sure how many will get it. Worthington Games sent out an email today that used precisely the same term. If you appreciate good English, it's enough to dampen your spirits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Better to say the game wets your appetite as opposed to wets your pants...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brad poon
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
Gromguitar4 wrote:
See what I did there?

If you appreciate good English, it's enough to dampen your spirits.

I see what YOU did there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Barkes
Spain
Malaga
Andalucia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Verily, Sir Gromguitar4, your puns are dreadful, but I still enjoyed reading your piece. This is because you made such a good fist of conveying the sheer exhuberance of this game.
Not a brain-burner by any means, but always jolly good fun to play. By-the-way, on the subject of 'good English', Volnon has it right: It is pants that are wetted, while appetites are whetted, as in sharpened, like the edge of a knife.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.