Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Mansions of Madness» Forums » Rules

Subject: Successive injury cards in same turn? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hugh Grotius
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Can the Keeper play two injuries in succession, after my investigator suffers an injury? I know the investigator has a limit of one injury and one insanity. But can the Keeper force the investigator to discard the first injury and immediately follow up with a second injury?

The precise situation was this. At the start of my investigator's turn, she had Health 5, and she already had an injury -- Hearing Loss, an impairment to Dexterity. Then the investigator suffered one damage. At that point the Keeper played Concussion, which made me lose a skill point (and forced me to discard the Hearing Loss). Can the Keeper immediately follow up with a second injury -- in this case, breaking my leg? (Thereby forcing me to discard the Concussion.) Or is there a limit of one injury per turn?

Incidentally, I clicked the wrong check-box the first time I tried to post this question. I meant to check "subscribe," but I checked "This is a good post" in my haste, and the question went to the GeekMod system -- oops. I didn't know how to cancel my submission once it was submitted, so it was eventually declined. I hope it's now OK for me to post it, as I originally intended. If not, let me know and I'll delete it.

Thanks in advance.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Taylor
United States
under surveillance
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb


no
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milan Mašát
Czech Republic
Praha
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There is limit one injury for one source of damage. So if you are damaged multiple times in a turn you can get multiple injury cards in the turn.
It does NOT matter on the size of the damage. Even a damage for 5 can give you just one injury card. But then a damage for 1 can give you another.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Vodnyk wrote:
There is limit one injury for one source of damage.


I am certain this is right, but can you point me to the bit in the rules where it says so. It is really bugging me because I can't find it
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milan Mašát
Czech Republic
Praha
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:
Vodnyk wrote:
There is limit one injury for one source of damage.


I am certain this is right, but can you point me to the bit in the rules where it says so. It is really bugging me because I can't find it

You are right, it is not there explicitly but
1) it is clear thematically and it gives a common sense
2) I will run a bit rule-lawyer argumentation here: (p.25)
"These cards can only be played by the keeper immediately after an investigator takes damage or horror."
My "lawyer" interpretation: So you take horror, then keeper immediately play a trauma. Second trauma cannot be played because it is not immediately after a damage dealt, but after trauma card played. And you can not play trauma after trauma.

Stupid explanation, but it works for me. It should be stated in rules...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume that if a Trauma cards makes you take damage or gives you horror you can then play another trauma card on that investigator?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariano Rico
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Vodnyk wrote:
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:
Vodnyk wrote:
There is limit one injury for one source of damage.


I am certain this is right, but can you point me to the bit in the rules where it says so. It is really bugging me because I can't find it

You are right, it is not there explicitly but
1) it is clear thematically and it gives a common sense
2) I will run a bit rule-lawyer argumentation here: (p.25)
"These cards can only be played by the keeper immediately after an investigator takes damage or horror."
My "lawyer" interpretation: So you take horror, then keeper immediately play a trauma. Second trauma cannot be played because it is not immediately after a damage dealt, but after trauma card played. And you can not play trauma after trauma.

Stupid explanation, but it works for me. It should be stated in rules...


Not stupid at all. I do agree with you, although not sure if that was the Designer´s intention. It´s clear that for every time you get damage (health or horror) one card can be played, so there is no per turn limitation here. The only one is just one of each can stay.

Now, if you get both Horror and Damage, can two Trauma cards (one of each) be played on you? If the rules would have said :

"These cards can only be played by the keeper immediately after an investigator takes damage and/or horror."

Then the answer would be clear. As it is, there is room for interpretation. But yours follows a logic.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milan Mašát
Czech Republic
Praha
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kamakaze wrote:
I assume that if a Trauma cards makes you take damage or gives you horror you can then play another trauma card on that investigator?

Yes, seems valid. The same for mythos which gives damage or horror. Or fire, or....
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milan Mašát
Czech Republic
Praha
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Acererak wrote:
Now, if you get both Horror and Damage, can two Trauma cards (one of each) be played on you? If the rules would have said :

"These cards can only be played by the keeper immediately after an investigator takes damage and/or horror."

Then the answer would be clear. As it is, there is room for interpretation. But yours follows a logic.


First - I can not remember situation (I have not read every card yet, I do not want to spoil myself) when you get damage and horror exactly at the same time. There are cards which give you damage and then horror and I see this as opportunity to play two trauma cards on one poor inv. almost at the same time. In such situation - get damage, get injury, get horror, get insanity.

Second - logic is not good in rules explanation. Common sense and Occam's razor will give better result.
horrific example of using logic ad absurdum: p.25"The only exception to this restriction is if an investigator has zero sanity, in which case the keeper may play one insanity Trauma card on the investigator as a keeper action (once per turn per insane investigator)."
So if you have two insane investigators you can play two times insanity card on one investigator as keeper action. - logical but against intended meaning.

Edit: reminds me an old joke: Mother says to the son - programmer: go to the shop and buy a bread. And if they have eggs, buy ten. So the son go into the shop and because they had eggs, he buy ten breads.
(I just hope that the English is not screwed here too much. Makes more sense in Czech.)
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I am fairly sure some cards and/or monsters say "take 1 damage and gain 1 horror". I am not sure if this is at the "same" time but it is at least from the same source.

Quote:
Edit: reminds me an old programmers joke: Mother says to the son - programmer: go to the shop and buy a bread. And if they have eggs, buy ten. So the child go into the shop and because they had eggs, he buy ten breads.
(I just hope that the English is not screwed here too much. Makes more sense in Czech.)


That sounds fine and is funny Similar to this:

"Would you like coffee or tea?"

"yes"

so annoying....
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milan Mašát
Czech Republic
Praha
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
OT: "Would our rocket get to the moon or not?"
"Yes."
"Yes what?"
"Yes general."
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milan Mašát
Czech Republic
Praha
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kamakaze wrote:
I am fairly sure some cards and/or monsters say "take 1 damage and gain 1 horror".

Then I thing both injury and insanity can be played.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Grotius
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the replies. So the consensus is there should be a separate damage for each separate injury card? That's OK with me. It does make some sense thematically. (Although I suppose one could argue that theme allows the opposite interpretation. E.g., my investigator received a Concussion, which in turn caused her to fall, resulting in a broken leg.)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.