Angry Augury
Japan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope no one minds helping me out here. I'm trying to learn the new rules and a few questions popped up. I'll post the couple I can remember now with more likely to come.

1. Now the Sympathizer card is added at the beginning in 4 and 6 player games, right? That seems a little unfair if so. Does it mean someone may be outed and forced to be a Cylon before the first turn begins?

2. There is always one extra Loyalty card in the deck now. Isn't it possible that in a three player game there may be no Cylons at all? Or in larger games that the second Cylon card may never surface?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

EDIT: Thread title changed by request.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Just got the expansion and have some questions.
n107 wrote:
I hope no one minds helping me out here. I'm trying to learn the new rules and a few questions popped up. I'll post the couple I can remember now with more likely to come.

1. Now the Sympathizer card is added at the beginning in 4 and 6 player games, right? That seems a little unfair if so. Does it mean someone may be outed and forced to be a Cylon before the first turn begins?

2. There is always one extra Loyalty card in the deck now. Isn't it possible that in a three player game there may be no Cylons at all? Or in larger games that the second Cylon card may never surface?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

1-
Not quite.... you create a loyalty deck with the appropriate # of YANAC cards (some of these can be Conflicted loyalties if you opted for this option) + the appropriate # of YAAC (You Are A Cylon) cards. You deal them out to each player, and THEN you add the Sympathizer card, so there won't be a Sympathizer from the very beginning. OTOH, it's possible that someone could get executed from the get-go (due to the way Exodus rules work concerning loyalty decks), and may be dealt that Sympathizer card way before sleeper phase (though rare). On the flipside, it's also possible (though again, rare) to get a Sympathizer way after the sleeper phase starts... even towards the very end of the game.

2-
Yes, that's correct. However, this occruence should be rare, and should be offset by the extra paranoia of mistrust post-sleeper phase. Someone said the odds of this happening are similar to a player getting both cylon cards, but the odds vary depedning on if Boomer and/or Baltar are in play, as well as # of playerse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The argument that having one fewer cylon is offset by added paranoia is ridiculous. If that were true, then it would be a viable strategy to ignore your loyalty card and assume it says human. If you are right, you will do fine and not be suspected. If you are wrong, there is essentially one fewer cylon and the added paranoia should help you as much as looking at your card would.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christen
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MasterDinadan wrote:
The argument that having one fewer cylon is offset by added paranoia is ridiculous. If that were true, then it would be a viable strategy to ignore your loyalty card and assume it says human. If you are right, you will do fine and not be suspected. If you are wrong, there is essentially one fewer cylon and the added paranoia should help you as much as looking at your card would.

Actually... wowwowwow I think you're right but I also slightly disagree.

I happened to misdeal one game, which also happened to be the only time I made the loyalty deck, and the tension was crazy. This was basegame though, so no card on the table to make people wondering, but we were completely blown away by the one cylon because we were so sure one of the other three at the table was a cylon that was going to pop out and eat us at any moment. I do agree that it is a totally different situation, I just wanted to tell the story. ^_^

Carry on. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
MasterDinadan wrote:

I actually think that is viable, and that is essentially how you can play but you should look at it and then disregard it completely until a crucial moment. A true sleeper agent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angry Augury
Japan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another question:

During the Crossroads phase, an unrevealed Cylon would be treated as a human player, correct? If by chance they are eliminated by the trial due to having the most Trauma Tokens, would they resurrect as a Cylon since, thematically, they haven't been boxed or are they definitely eliminated as per game mechanics?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
n107 wrote:
Another question:

During the Crossroads phase, an unrevealed Cylon would be treated as a human player, correct? If by chance they are eliminated by the trial due to having the most Trauma Tokens, would they resurrect as a Cylon since, thematically, they haven't been boxed or are they definitely eliminated as per game mechanics?

You are correct, an unrevealed Cylon is treated as a human. If he has the most trauma remaining he is executed and then eliminated from the game.

From the FAQ:

Q: If an unrevealed Cylon is eliminated as a result of resolving “The Trial/Boxing the Line,” does he continue the game as a revealed Cylon?
A: No. Unrevealed Cylons are still treated as human players, even during the resolution of “The Trial/Boxing the Line.” If an unrevealed Cylon is eliminated as a result of resolving “The Trial/Boxing the Line,” he follows the normal steps for execution,
including revealing one “You Are a Cylon” card, but the character is not moved to the Resurrection Ship. The player returns his character sheet and token to the box, no longer takes his turn, and has lost the game. It would seem neither the humans nor the Cylons wanted him around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angry Augury
Japan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, thanks to everyone for the answers so far.

Another question just popped into my mind but it has nothing to do with Exodus: Can someone play Executive Order on a Cylon? It seems like you can but I just want to make sure nothing in the FAQs say anything about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
You cannot play Executive Orders on revealed Cylons. (State of emergency affects a cylon player though and gives them an action)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angry Augury
Japan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks again for the answers. More questions follow:

What happens to damage tokens on a Basestar once it moves to the Cylon Fleet board? Do they remain or get removed?

Does the Pursuit Track only move if a piece is placed on the CFB and whatever is activated on the main board does nothing?

What exactly is the usefulness of the first Action on the CAG card? (May activate one unmanned Viper then lose the CAG title.)

--Non-Exodus Questions--

Just checking, can a Cylon can reveal anywhere even if they are piloting a Viper?

Can Boomer's OPG ability be used for ANY crisis or just on the one's she draws?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
n107 wrote:
Thanks again for the answers. More questions follow:

What happens to damage tokens on a Basestar once it moves to the Cylon Fleet board? Do they remain or get removed?

They get removed.
Page 4 of FFG Official FAQ/Errata
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/Battlestar_Gal...
Quote:
Cylon Fleet Option
(Note that this errata represents a change to a previous ruling.) The final paragraph on page 15 in the “Jumping the Fleet” section should read:
Finally, move any Cylon ships in space areas on the main game board to the corresponding Cylon space areas on the Cylon Fleet game board (see “The Cylon Fleet Game Board” on page 12). All basestar damage tokens on basestars are removed and randomly mixed into the pile of unused damage tokens.

n107 wrote:
Does the Pursuit Track only move if a piece is placed on the CFB and whatever is activated on the main board does nothing?

Almost correct. You're missing the following cases (which I think you were aware of, but doesn't hurt to mention them anyways)....
!!-The only case where nothing happens on the MGB from a cylon ship icon AND nothing also happening on the CFB is if you activate a single basestar and it can't shoot b/c it has that damage token that doesn't let it shoot. Likewise, if there's only one basestar that can't launch ships due to that damage token as well.
!!-if you reach components limitations when resolving a cylon ship icon, then the pursuit marker will advance. In this case, nothing was placed on the CFB, but the MGB has activity... namely, all the ships of one sector going from CFB to MGB.

!!-activating Cylon Fleet location, and resolving the cylon ship icons that appear in the middle of crisis cards will cause activity on the CFB if there's nothign relevant on the MGB

--There are crisis cards that explicitly instruct players to move the Pursuit track up, such as Review Camera Footage (event card).
--Cylons can use the Basestar Bridge location (bottom left by rolling 4 - 8) to increase the Pursuit track by 1.

n107 wrote:
What exactly is the usefulness of the first Action on the CAG card? (May activate one unmanned Viper then lose the CAG title.)
Very limited from what I've observed so far, but......
--if Command is damaged, you have no pilots available (e.g. revealed as cylons, brigged), Apollo's OPG is unavailable, and you can't repair Command soon enough (or at all), then getting a viper activation from the inferior action on the CAG title card can be better than nothing.
--to expand on the previous bullet point, you can use that inferior actoin, then give it to the next human player so you can have a garuanteed chain of viper activations (again, Command is superior if you can do that, much like President's Office vs the action on President title card)
--if a pilot (or Helo) isn't going to use the "better action" on the card, then you may want to use the inferior one to transfer it to someone else so they can deal with the penalties of it (e.g. crisis cards that have the CAG discard cards, that super crisis that could execute him)
--If people still play 3p games, I suppose if there's only one human out of the Brig (the 2nd player revealed and the 3rd player is in the Brig), then you should be able to keep using the inferior action and not worry about it changing hands since like the admiral title card, the CAG title card can't go to a revealed cylon nor Brigged character (unless all humans are currently in the Brig).

n107 wrote:
--Non-Exodus Questions--

Just checking, can a Cylon can reveal anywhere even if they are piloting a Viper?
Yes. Just make sure that player has an action is all. And of course, if you reveal in the Brig (or Detention if playing with Pegasus on New Caprica), then while you will become a revealed cylon, you will NOT get to do your reveal power.

n107 wrote:
Can Boomer's OPG ability be used for ANY crisis or just on the one's she draws?
ANY crisis card, (of course with a skill check and NOT for super crisis cards).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angry Augury
Japan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, again, for your very detailed answers that brought up a few points that I knew but forgot about. You were a great help. I appreciate it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angry Augury
Japan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One more question:

If using the option on the CFB Basestar Bridge to place 3 raiders on the CFB, what happens if you run out of raiders? Does one sector move to the MGB under normal placement rules or do you just stop with as many as you can place?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
n107 wrote:
One more question:

If using the option on the CFB Basestar Bridge to place 3 raiders on the CFB, what happens if you run out of raiders? Does one sector move to the MGB under normal placement rules or do you just stop with as many as you can place?

You just place as many as you can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angry Augury
Japan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kamakaze wrote:
MasterDinadan wrote:

I actually think that is viable, and that is essentially how you can play but you should look at it and then disregard it completely until a crucial moment. A true sleeper agent.

until a crucial moment is the key. Cylons that play nice are capable of causing a lot of damage not just because of the mistrust that is rampant before their betrayal, but the fact that they time their betrayal to be as effective as possible. The few actions that the cylon player takes during this crucial time can shift the course of the game significantly.

My point is that taking away this "crucial moment" and relying on the paranoia alone to make a difference won't work. In my example, the cylon that disregards his loyalty isn't waiting for a crucial moment. He's playing nice the entire game and counting on the paranoia to win it for him. Obviously that isn't good play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angry Augury
Japan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another question in hopes that someone will still check this thread:

With the CFB rules, nukes target an area of space rather than a basestar. Because of this, would it be possible for a Cylon admiral to launch a nuke at a space with no enemies in it? In the base game one couldn't target civilian ships but can the admiral fire a nuke at them now in hopes of getting an 8 and wiping out whatever is there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
n107 wrote:
Another question in hopes that someone will still check this thread:

With the CFB rules, nukes target an area of space rather than a basestar. Because of this, would it be possible for a Cylon admiral to launch a nuke at a space with no enemies in it? In the base game one couldn't target civilian ships but can the admiral fire a nuke at them now in hopes of getting an 8 and wiping out whatever is there?
Yes.

By design, it makes sense that Ander's is so relatively low in Admiral line-o-succession (#11 of 18, or 14 if without Pegasus). Him plus his OPG = garuanteed 8! Of course, not all characters are in the game at the same time, so it may be just 1 or 2 characters getting brigged/revealing/eliminated that does the trick.

One shouldn't converge all civvies in the same sector unless you know there won't be a cylon admiral, but sometimes, you may not have a choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angry Augury
Japan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I shouldn't be surprised that you showed up here and answered yet another of my questions.

As always, thank you for the great information.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.