Popular Tags: [View All]
This Guy
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I include this not so much to discuss the video, but to set up a conversation about flies, vinegar, and honey.

Setting aside her remarkably distasteful glee over the death and destruction in Japan, let's look at the posit: God struck Japan with an earthquake to open the eyes of atheists.

Let's pretend that's not a nasty, batshit crazy thing to say. How would this campaign would convert atheists?

Comparable approaches have made a lasting impression. Hell, I was only 2 years old when this magazine came out, and I know about it as if I had read it back in the day:

(Although I'm pretty sure nobody actually shot the dog.)

Anyway, as an atheist, I'm faced with a choice.
a) I can worship God so he'll stop killing other people to make a point.
b) I can worship God so he doesn't kill me.
c) Other
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Aetheros wrote:
I include this not so much to discuss the video, but to set up a conversation about flies, vinegar, and honey.

I was not able to take a full 60 seconds, but what I would like to talk about is the meaning of the word "literally."

(And after the video Jarred posted... wow, what an awful person. I used to think thumbs were the BGG feature I most wanted in real life, but now it's a killfile.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bradley
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
The best things in life aren't things.
mbmbmbmbmb
She needs to read this.

http://www.quickmeme.com/Advice-God/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
This Guy
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Troll or not, it's not a unique sentiment. And it pops up fairly quickly in response to natural disasters. Falwell's declaration that Katrina was punishment. Etc.

There's precedent in the old testament. I'm pretty sure there were some innocent people in Sodom. Looking back, we can surmise there was a Trollwel person who declared the town was punished for its sins. All of 'em. And it just stuck to the story.

But the new testament set up a new deal. Love and understanding of one another. The spirit of the law versus the letter of the law, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be nice if an RSP topical YouTube videos stayed around more than 5 minutes before being taken down. Plus seriously guys, this whole conversation happened at 2AM in the morning. Go to bed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.