Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: cred [+] [View All]
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I got started in proper gaming 4 years or so, my wife (then fiancee) thought havign a few new board games was 'cool' and 'good fun'. Once it got to a point where I had 100+ games, she still proclaimed my street credibility but stated that I 'do have a lot' and 'if you buy any more, try to sell some'.

However, yesterday she more or less called me a geek to my face. I was sorting through some cards when she said 'you're quite happy to spend time counting cards & bits or whatever.'

I was trying to work out what she was implying between the lines & said 'but that's OK, isn't it?' to which she replied:-

'Well, some people might see it as a geeky thing.'

So I guess if it wasn't official before, it has to be official now that I am a geek. To be honest, I blame my recent purchases of common/uncommon playsets for older sets of Magic:tG for getting me into 'card-counting'...

ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
tonksey wrote:
When I got started in proper gaming 4 years or so, my wife (then fiancee) thought havign a few new board games was 'cool' and 'good fun'. Once it got to a point where I had 100+ games, she still proclaimed my street credibility but stated that I 'do have a lot' and 'if you buy any more, try to sell some'.

However, yesterday she more or less called me a geek to my face. I was sorting through some cards when she said 'you're quite happy to spend time counting cards & bits or whatever.'

I was trying to work out what she was implying between the lines & said 'but that's OK, isn't it?' to which she replied:-

'Well, some people might see it as a geeky thing.'

So I guess if it wasn't official before, it has to be official now that I am a geek. To be honest, I blame my recent purchases of common/uncommon playsets for older sets of Magic:tG for getting me into 'card-counting'...

:ninja:

My Wife tried that same trick many years ago but I fended it off by mentioning the fact she loved collecting jelly molds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Elves are very good at board games, and I'm NOT an elf!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Matt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The coolest best thing I have ever done in my life is being a father
badge
The Dread Pirate Caleb!! (age 2)
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife realized I was a geek when she figured out I was hiding my gaming night from her when we were dating by saying "I had some stuff to do" on Saturday night, but she could come over later. She thought I was cheating on her, so she "popped in" hoping to catch me in the act.

Instead she found me sitting at a table playing Talisman with my buddies.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife married me at a time my collection already was at 500 games or so ...
Although she sometimes complains that I spend too much time in the basement caressing my games, she already knew she married a geek meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UndeadViking wrote:
My wife realized I was a geek when she figured out I was hiding my gaming night from her when we were dating by saying "I had some stuff to do" on Saturday night, but she could come over later. She thought I was cheating on her, so she "popped in" hoping to catch me in the act.

Epic fail!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keng Ho Pwee
Singapore
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So an international website with hundereds of thousands of users and the word 'geek' in its name awards you 'Geek of the Week' status and that wasn't enough to convince you?
goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Blaine
United States
Fulton
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I met years before we got married, and shared a love Star Trek, RPGs, along with Science Fiction novels, movies and so on. When we hooked up again years later, she had a life size cardboard cutout of Data in her closet (don't ask me what he was doing there, though on the show he did once mention that he was "fully functional"). She had also belonged to a Star Trek club and had several hundred $$ in collectible stuff she'd purchased at conventions, including signed autographs, collectible plates, and of course complete collections of the Star Trek Next Generation figures, along with other assorted toys. So despite my RPG collection, my model airplanes, and then my growing boardgaming hobby, I ask you, which of us is geekier?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think there was any question in my relationship with my wife. Actually, I don't think there was ever a question in any of my relationships, friends, family, or whatnot. My book shelves full of Science Fiction novels, or my DVD collection, or my games collection, or my RPG collection, posters, computers, toys, etc. etc. I've pretty much let my geek flag fly from day one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lisa
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My situation is a little different. My husband was the science fiction, Trek guy when I met him. He "out grew" that & moved onto collecting rare books, specifically Winston Churchill books. A new book came from Europe almost every week. Then about 10 years later he sold them all & bought an antique TR6 (which now occupies our garage).

I've recently renewed my love of board games & just discovered euro games less than 6 months ago. As a result I've been on a bit of a spending spree (Santa was good to us & left 6 nice new games under the tree & more since then!!!). The more I read on BGG the more games I "need". My husband announced to me last week...I was not only a geek / nerd but he thought it was my mid-life crisiscry! This coming from a man with a newly acquired sports car sitting on the garage! (he's not mechanical & all the repairs have to be done by our mechanic, $$$$).

I don't struggle with the geek label so much as the mid-life crisis crack. I think one way or another we all have something on our lives that make us a geek. (Something that we love & know considerably more about than the average person). I was an civil engineer for 13 years, like I never felt nerdy before??? Now I'm a stay at home Mom wishing I could find others like me to start a daytime gaming group. My husband laughed & said I was one of a kind, I'd have to play solo! Alas, Winston Churchill books were geeky, apparently owning an antique Triumph is not!shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mb
UndeadViking wrote:

My fiancee and I joked about something similar. I was on the internet looking at BGG and finding new games to buy or bid on in the lotteries. She said "Are you on BGG again??" then came over to try and see me on the site. So I (jokingly) panic and load up an "adult" site and go "No, I wasn't looking at games to buy! I was, uh, looking at naked women!"

We both had a good laugh, but I still got slapped on the arm I kind of deserved it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Keng Ho wrote:
So an international website with hundereds of thousands of users and the word 'geek' in its name awards you 'Geek of the Week' status and that wasn't enough to convince you?
goo

I guess once you've also been labelled a Geek in the real world, then it has to be official then!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey L.
United States
Western Burbs of Beantown
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vibes on your descent into Geekdom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent T.
United States
Zionsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wear it proudly.

My wife bought a shirt that says "I love my nerd" and she loves to wear it around.

I haven't told her that I'm more of a geek than a nerd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert C Branch
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UndeadViking wrote:

Hahahaha...hey Lance, you've seen Knocked Up right? I think Judd Apatow took the fantasy league draft scene from your life experience Wear that geek badge PROUD!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Fisk
United States
Spanish Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife knew I was a geek while we were dating but never understood its true depths until I took her to a Trek convention in Denver Colorado. I had left the tickets in the car, and I left her in the front lobby to go get them.

I walk back in to find a guy with a long black cloak on, circling her while shaking a large green item. He is chanting:

"I bless you with the holy cabbage" over and over again.

She is standing there rigid as a board - her eyes wide - with panic clearly written on her face.

She married me anyway - and we have had a fantastic 18 years together.

I guess the cabbage worked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
Helllow Bayyybee
mbmbmbmbmb
My first date with my, now, wife was a trip to London to go to a show (possibly the Buddy Holly story), via Brewer Street and Just Games (ahhh long since gone cry). I just happened to notice a copy of 6-Tage Rennen and McMulti .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to hide it and had nothing but the most miserable dating experiences. Then I started looking for a nice geek girl, found one, and have been happily married ever since.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hall
United Kingdom
Yate
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife has been calling me a geek for years. However she is finally coming to admit that she, too, is a complete geek. It's about damn time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
UndeadViking wrote:

1.) You can't be that big of a geek if you were hiding it from her. A true geek would be wondering why she wouldn't be impressed with the latest FFG release.

2.) Bonus points if you did: "This isn't what you think... these dolls are collectible!"

3.) If you had put candles around the board and when she walked in went, "Ooom... zooom salaboom salabin.." and bowed to the dice in the center, that would have been awesome to walk-in on.

4.) "So then I said, 'rectum, darn near killed 'em!'" and everyone bursts out laughing while everyone ignores the geekness at the center of the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hall
United Kingdom
Yate
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zhuge wrote:
Wear it proudly.

My wife bought a shirt that says "I love my nerd" and she loves to wear it around.

My wife has a T-Shirt that reads 'Physicists give me a Hadron' (yes, I did physics at university )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Campbell
United Kingdom
Ilkeston
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My girlfriend knew about my boardgames before we got together so that was never a problem. Finding storage space in the small cottage where we live is a different matter however!

PS. If you hide your geekness, how are they gonna find out about your wishlist on the 'Geek?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Meh. It's a badge I wear with pride. Don't see why someone would feel otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg von Lemberg
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DreadFuzzy wrote:
Zhuge wrote:
Wear it proudly.

My wife has a T-Shirt that reads 'Physicists give me a Hadron' (yes, I did physics at university )

Umm, you might want to take a few minutes off from board gaming and check under the hood of that one. Just saying...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Fee
United States
Corning
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No fair! They're using brains against us! We removed our brains to make room for guns and explosives!
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife was assistant manager at the comic/game shop in our town and we were both invited to the same D&D group. She came into the marriage with the complete Star Trek:TNG series, a Poison Ivy costume, and 17 long boxes of comics. I never had to hide my geekness from her (in some fields of geekdom she has more geek cred than I do).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.