BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Another quest for a missing (board)game. GG reward rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matti Saarenketo
Finland
Rovaniemi
flag msg tools
Every Wednesday at 16:00 in the library.
badge
I'm going to love and tolerate
mbmbmbmbmb
Inspired from this thread: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/630361/does-this-board-g...

I was playing a computer game in my childhood which I liked a lot. It was abstract strategy and the rules were as folows:

-There is a grid with some of them filled with walls (thus unpassable)
-You start with at least one piece placed on a pre-determined location on the grid

Two possible actions on your turn:
-Copy one of your pieces to an adjascent space (diagonal copying allowed)
-Jump 2 spaces away with one of your pieces. You may jump over walls.

-After the action, all the pieces adjascent to your newly created or moved piece become your pieces.
-Winner is the one with the most pieces on the board when the grid fills up.

Are there any boardgames with similar or exactly similar rules?
2 for who ever finds the original game i'm referring to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen this game in many guises.... I recall it as an arcade console called Attaxx. According to wikipedia, that appears to have been its first appearance in arcades.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ataxx

There are several alternate names/alternate versions listed on the wiki page as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this on the Nintendo and GameBoy which was called Spot: The Video Game. It used the 7UP Spot character as the mascot, but the game was exactly as you described. The Nintendo version was for up to 4 players, and you could fill in some of the spaces on the grid to make your own custom playing board.

It is similar to Reversi and Othello, but not exact. Wikipedia doesn't have much info on it other than what I've said here as well as being similar to Ataxx as the poster above has shown.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spot:_The_Video_Game

Edit: After looking at the Ataxx Wikipedia page, it looks like that is the one you are looking for and Spot was cloned off of it. Doesn't seem to be any exact board game versions, but it should be simple to make.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matti Saarenketo
Finland
Rovaniemi
flag msg tools
Every Wednesday at 16:00 in the library.
badge
I'm going to love and tolerate
mbmbmbmbmb
it seems that Ataxx should be moved from BGG to VGG '

edit: I didn't find a version which had the custom terrain option. (I remember that it was different colored balls you had to control)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.