Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Darcy Hartwick
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
City provides a card if 1 supply is empty, and a buy+coin if 2 are empty.

I assume this means when 2 pile are empty the city gives all 3 bonuses? That is, the buy+coin don't replace the extra card?

This was extremely strong with 2 piles empty, so I'm guessing it is balanced out by it being difficult to deplete 2 piles

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Goldthorpe
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:
This was extremely strong with 2 piles empty, so I'm guessing it is balanced out by it being difficult to deplete 2 piles

It's also balanced out by the game potentially ending quickly with a third pile depleted.

Your assumption on the card play is correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When two or more piles are empty, City gives you both bonuses.

At the beginning of the game, City is very weak, because you're getting the same effect as a Village but paying two coins more. Often, the game ends on Provinces or Colonies before City ever gets its 2-pile bonus. When City does get its 2-pile bonus, it frequently doesn't last long because the game ends shortly after on 3 piles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darcy Hartwick
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Usually ;)

We had a game where feast and city depleted very quickly while no other pile was that low (we had colonies and provinces so "big" purchases were split between them).

The game went degenerate as it also featured peddler and goons - after acquiring most of the cities through feasts and 5 coin buys, I was then able to lay down like 5 cities followed by a goon, buying a boatload of peddlers for free with free vps + a colony. The turn after that I played my entire deck of cities/peddlers and ended with a goon to buy a bunch of estates, coppers and the last of the peddlers ;)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Paul Sodusta
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Every game that I have played where someone tried to deplete two piles for their cities, I'd end the game just right after they do so and win. Those games' scores are usually below 15 points.

You are right though that it can get ridiculous if no one is watching someone trying to do your strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Waterman
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ofcourse City gets **really fun*** if you're playing a 5-6 player game...

Montebanc (no relation)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Newhausen
United States
Loves Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my experience, City is balanced by the fact that nobody wants to clear the second pile because the game will end before they get another turn.

ESPECIALLY with Peddler on the board...how does that stack last for more than two players' turns when everyone's got a stack of chainable actions with +buys?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Brendel
United States
Dunwoody
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think I'll ever have another turn quite like the time my Golem hit a Witch and a City, and I realized the Witch would empty the Curses, when the Grand Markets were already gone and mostly in my deck. I almost ran out of table on that turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Waterman
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
...of course the City strategist is *exactly* the person who is trying to empty the other two piles. Seems like a key element of a lot of City strategies. Depends on the cards on the table, of course, and YMMV, but...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.